6 Days in Belgium - hotel and day recs needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2024, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We haven't been to Belgium before and have 6 days on the ground, the first being a Friday night. Planning to spend the nights only in Bruges and Brussels.

The first question is, which is the better place for us (aging party people) to spend the weekend in . . . looking for lively rather than sedate. So, Bruges or Brussels for the weekend?

The second question is hotel recommendations . . . areas where we can venture out at night and be in the middle of bars and cafes. We don't have an issue with noise.

Interests: Everything!
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both places will have a nightlife, restaurants, etc. but the variety of offerings in Brussels will be better. Weekends in Bruges are usually crowded and accommodation harder to find. There are many places where you will find bars and restaurants but I would possibly recommend the Ste.-Catherine district as there are many there, plus there are also hotels there, and it is fairly clean and safe. I would start by looking at the Novotel Brussels City Centre. It's not in the tourist centre, but closer to Ste.-Catherine, and used to be called the Novotel Tour Noire because it is next to the remnants of a medieval tower. Another you might check out is the Citadines Ste.-Catherine. The Novotel recommendation comes from a local friend, and I have stayed in many other Citadines, although not that one. I have however stayed in the Citadines Toison d'Or in the Louise district, which is an area outside the city belt where we usually stay. The quality of Citadines is very consistent and I would not hesitate to recommend them. If you are up for nightlife Place St.-Géry, which is a short walk away, has loads of nice cafés (café = beer, nightlife) like Zébra and Mappa Mundo. There are literally dozens of bars all over Brussels; people there like to party with beers. If you are looking for something special in the way of nightlife, let me know!

Lavandula
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Great info, Lavandula, with thanks! Special in the way of nightlife: our favorite thing (other than going to a rock or indie/alt concert) is going to a bar with a live band or musician.

Do you have any recommendations for Bruges?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a lot of recommendations (which doesn't mean there aren't any offerings, there would be, I just don't really know them all). L'Archiduc is a bar with an authentic Art Deco interior that has been heritage-listed, and they do jazz there, but not every day. That's in Dansaert, which is not far from Ste.-Catherine, which is a kind of funky design district:

L'Archiduc

and on Boulevard Anspach (also just a hop skip and jump from you) there is the Ancienne Belgique, which is a full-on music venue (i.e. modern music including rock):

https://www.abconcerts.be/en/

and out a way, there is Café Belga at Place Flagey (take bus 71 from De Brouckčre). It is a normal café with DJs, but they are also open during the day (minus the music). If your tastes run to orchestras, Bozar or Le Flagey just next door to Café Belga might be your scene. Sorry, I am not much good with Bruges but I believe there is one jazz bar, although I couldn't believe they wouldn't have other live music there.

Hope that sets you on your journey!

Lavandula