6 days in austria

May 24th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

6 days in austria

Hello Guys,

I need some suggestions when planning a trip to Austria. I will travel in last week of july.
I have 6 days with me. I will land in Vienna and would like to spend a day or two there max and then head to salzburg --> zell-am-see -> halstatt ->> vienna
I know its not easy to answer but does this sounds like a good itinerary?Am i missing some "must see" destinations? I saw tyrol in various posts but given the time i have i dont think i can include tyron in the plan.
I plan to travel by train from one city to the other. I am mainly interested in scenic destinations and not fond of buildings/museums.
Please suggest must see places in the locations i am planning to visit. Also is it a good idea to book train tickets in advance or it will be fine if i buy on the go (will i get better price if i book now or it wont matter)

WIll be glad if the community can help based in their expecrience
May 24th, 2019, 04:38 PM

Well startby crossing off Zell-am-See, which though a lovely lake is for Austria not that awesome - no high Alps around it but a nice town of Zell and parks - way out of your way anyway.

I'd recommend Viena 1 night to recover
Train to Salzburg
Salzburg 2 nites
Take train to Hallstatt - 1 night - neat to experience the high Alps - gorgeous
Take train back to Vienna - 6 night

Booking long-distance trains early online yourselves can get discounted fares - Willkommen - competitor to Austrian Railways (www.oebb.at is always cheap but check both. No problem getting on trains - some of the nicest trains in the world - www.seat61.com has helpful tips on booking own tickets online - www.trainline.eu -alternate booking engines with exact similar fares but have recently introduced fees per booking and draconic refund/change fees - general info trains check BETS-European Rail Experts and www.pricksteves.com/
May 24th, 2019, 04:45 PM

Hallstatt will no doubt be a complete zoo - and it takes a bit of effort to get there.

Last edited by Melnq8; May 24th, 2019 at 04:47 PM.
May 24th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions PalenQ I read somewhere else also that zell am see is a bit overhyped. I will strike it off.
So the plan looks like this now .. Reach vienna on 13th july in the night -- > spend 14th day and night in vienna ->> leave for salzburg 15th morning and spend 15th 16th night there ---> leave for hallstatt 17th in the morning ,spend 17th and 18th night in halstatt --> leave for vienna 19th morning ..
my return flight is on 20th that too late in the evening , so I still have i guess a day which i would not want to spend in vienna ... can you suggest what can i include in this itinerary so that i reach vienna late 19th night or 20th morning ..

Alos is vienna -> salzburg -> halstatt -> vienna is better OR vienna -> halstatt -> salzburg --> vienna?
May 24th, 2019, 04:55 PM

Two nights in Hallstatt? Have you checked to see if there's accommodation available this late in the game? The place is tiny - some 773 people live there, give or take.
May 24th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

i want to cover derdachstein skywalk also when being in halstatt , will check the hotels availability i hope i am not late
May 24th, 2019, 05:04 PM

Well you could do some forays from Hallstatt 2nd day - like to a salt mine you can tour or excursions to the really high Alps. Can't think of awesome cities on the main rail line. fourfourtravel - American local I think but local for years in Vienna may well know one.

BTW You are the rare person who may benefit from the Austrian Railpass which lets you just jump on any train anytime without needing to get a ticket: BETS: Austria & Hungary Negates any need for exact planning and compared to full fare prices that allow this could be a bargain for folks that want total flexibility.
May 25th, 2019, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

can someone suggest?

vienna -> salzburg -> halstatt -> vienna is better OR vienna -> halstatt -> salzburg --> vienna?
May 25th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

can anybody tell me how to reach schladming to dachstein glacier to plan skywalk?
I will come from schladming .. but from schladming i cant find how to reach dachstein glacier