Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

6 Day London Itinerary...what do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Georgian

I just want to get a critique of my rough itinerary for my week in London in Feb 2003. Any changes you would suggest would be great.<BR><BR>Day 1 (Sunday): Land at Gatwick around 7am, take Hotelink to hotel and leave bags with reception. Take the Hop-on Hop-off bus tour (came with package) to get idea of the city. Do the guided tour at the British Museum. Check in to hotel. The rest of the evening wander.<BR><BR>Day 2 (Monday): This would be my shopping day. I plan on going and doing the &quot;girlie&quot; thing (hair and make up, etc). Stroll Oxford Circus, visit Harrods and Knightsbridge shops. Go to Leicester Square and check out the discount theater tickets. Grab dinner then a show (or visa versa)<BR><BR>Day 3 (Tuesday): Do the London Eye (what would be better early morning or at dusk?). Visit St. Paul's Cathedral and possibly climb to the top. Take Pedestrian bridge to Tate Modern. Have lunch at St. Martin's-in-the-Field and take in the free concert. Possibly visit Westminster Abbey (tour?)<BR><BR>Day 4 (Wednesday): Visit Tate Britian first thing. Wander through Covent Gardens &amp; visit Sommerset House. My &quot;take it all in&quot; day...people watch in Hyde Park, etc. Take in a show in the evening. <BR><BR>Day 5 (Thursday): Day trip to Leed's Castle. Come back in the late afternoon. Visit Piccadilli Circus. Rest of the day open. <BR><BR>Day 6 (Friday): Take a trip to Kew Gardens and Hampstead heath. Other than that it's an open day to visit places I didn't get a chance to visit earlier in the week. Evening I would like to see the play Bombay Dreams (if still playing). <BR><BR>Day 7 (Saturday): Leave London...<BR><BR>Like I said it's a rough idea of what I want to do on the days that I am there. However, I know things change but it gives me an idea.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:11 PM
xxx

Have you been to London before?<BR>If not , I would suggest that you substitute Windsor Castle or Hampton Court for Leeds Castle. Both are easily accessible by train ( Leeds is not) and are much more interesting than Leeds. Leeds has nice grounds but is nothing special as far as castles go.<BR>But if you have NOT been to London before you might also wish to save a day trip for another time..there is sooo much to see in London itself.<BR>Most London shows begin at 7:30 or 7:45 so take that into consideration when making your dinner/theater plans.<BR>There is really nothing special about Picadilly Circus per se but if you walk along Picidailly Street you can explore Fortnam and Mason it's a nice place to pick up little food gifts to take back home.<BR>The London Eye is great at dark, but you need to make sure you have tickets..most times you just can't just walk up and get on, you have to stand in line.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Georgian

Yes...I have been there before but it was with a guided tour group. I was unsure about Leeds...looks like a beautiful place but there's so many other places to visit.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Nigel Doran

I think that your plan to 'do' Kew and Hampstead in one day is ambitious. I would choose Kew over Hampstead, mainly because Kew is actually on the tourist trail and is well worth a visit. Hampstead and its heath are fine for a nice walk, people watching, browsing high-end shops, but Kew would win hands down in terms of a London site. <BR><BR>Check out www.lasminute.com for shows and also for dining deals. Covent Garden (note, it is not Gardens) will always be lively whenever you go. <BR><BR>I prefer the Bond Street end of Oxford Street. From Ox. Street to Tottenham Court Road the shops are rather mundane. From Oxford Street to Marble Arch you have Selfridges, John Lewis and big Marks and Spencer. Also, Bond Street and its environs have boutiques and upscale shops galore. <BR><BR>Dinners are good value at Palais du Jardin near to Drury Lane and at Bank, just a short walk from the theatres at Aldwych, on the corner of Kingsway. Try also Zizzi for good, wood-fired pizzas and a contemporary feel. There is one at the end of Floral Street, near the Opera House at Covent Garden. Pizza Express is not as good, but is a reliable warhorse. Le Deuxieme, on Endell Street, near to the above places, also has a good pre-theatre menu. (&pound;15 or so for 3 courses. Tip and drinks extra.) <BR>Get yourself a 7day Zone 1 Travelcard, good for all tubes and buses at any time, including before 0930. Cost is about $26 or so. Bring a photo and get your card from any Tube station or certain newsagents.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Leslie

You are planning to much to do on the day of arrival. You're going to be tired and fading fast. Regarding going to Leicester Square to pick up tickets to a show, you'll need to arrive early in the day if you want to have a choice of plays, otherwise, you'll be picking from the leftovers. The ticket window opens at 10am, but people start lining up about 9am. From Leicester Square, you can walk to Piccadilly Circus - it will take you 5 minutes. Or, you might consider going to the National Gallery, which is a block away from the 1/2 Price Ticket Booth in Leicester Square.<BR><BR>You can order your tickets online for the London Eye. I suggest you get there a 1/2 hour before to pick up your ticket (if you order it online), and to stand in the queue. If you aren't going to purchase your ticket in advance, then you should decide on the day you want to go based on the weather, and then go to an Internet cafe and buy the ticket online. On a clear day you can see 30 miles.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Maria

I am also planning a trip to London in February, but will be there 2 days longer. There will be 4 of us and our itinerary is not quite as firm as yours. The first day we just plan to orient ourselves, do a freebee museum in the area and generally look over the area (find the underground train, etc.). <BR><BR>On Wednesday we are doing the high speed train to Paris. We are also thinking of a day trip to Bath, although I would prefer Oxford. <BR><BR>I did the St. Paul's dome in Rome and if this is similar - beware. Once you start going up you cannot come back down the same way. You must complete the journey up and come down by a separate path.<BR><BR>I also want to see the Old Bailey, Parliament and the Law Sociey Building.<BR><BR>Your plans sound good to me, but then I have never been to England.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Georgian

Thanks Maria...I think I am going to take the advice of one of the other postings in decreasing my load of sites on my first day. Other than that...it's still kinda up in the air. Thankfully, I am going solo so I can change my plans in a moment's notice.<BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 04:43 AM
zoe

I'm going to London in March so am very interested in this. Reading Georgian's itinerary it seemed very full to me but yet no one has jumped in here to dump on it as &quot;way to much&quot;. It seems like people on this forum are always telling people that they have too much planned for a given day, or week or whatever - even when I don't think they do. And yet here this seems like too much to me and no one (except for that first day) is slamming her. So what's the story?

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Georgian

Hey Zoe! I feel the same about this forum. I was a little skeptical about putting it on here but I needed the suggestions. As for why the days are so packed. Those listed are what I would like to do while I am there. However, it I don't get a chance to see everything, I will be back so it's really no big deal. My feeling is nothing is really set in stone until I get there. The day trip is a possiblity but I unsure as of yet it I will do it.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 06:45 AM
flygirl

Hello, <BR><BR>your itinerary sounds great, here are a couple of things I would change:<BR><BR>don't try to see the British Museum on day 1. after (rather, during) your hop on bus tour, try to wander around a bit. the bus passes are good for 24 hours so you actually could entertain yourself the rest of the day by getting off at what interests you and wandering, then waiting for the next one to ride on again. this is great for the first day b/c you can walk as much or as little as you like.<BR>you can check in, then go back out to ride the bus again. <BR><BR>I would replace Leeds with something closer - Windsor Castle, or, I've quite enjoyed Greenwich and it's on the DLR - change at Tower Hill to the DLR. You could easily spend a day there, or part - a few museums, the Queen's House, Flamsteed House, the Meridian Line, and lots of shops and an outdoor market. Plus a lot of restaurants.<BR><BR>I do agree, Kew and Hampstead are far enough apart it will be a pain to &quot;do&quot; both in one day.<BR><BR>My personal opinion on the Tate Modern is that it's crap. but to each his own. The funniest thing I've ever seen about the Tate Modern was a French and Saunders skit about two little old ladies who (completely silently the whole time - this is key) rode the escalators, strolled majestically and bewildered-ly through the exhibits, rode the escalators up and down and up again, all in complete silence... only to finally spy the Cafe and fall over each other, jumping up and down and shrieking over the cakes and tea. This sums up the attractions at the Tate Modern.<BR><BR>Somerset House is a treat. Go ice skating.<BR><BR>definitely climb St. Paul's.<BR><BR>Take London Eye when you can. Not sure when the lines are bad, only went there once. Try to visit Westminster Abbey at that time. less backtracking.<BR><BR>have fun!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 07:06 AM
zvgpsml

My first suggestion to get your trip off to a good start--don't take Hotellink--it's horrible. Even if it's included in your package, take the Gatwick Express train to Victoria St.and then get a cab to your hotel. Even though you are arriving on a Sunday, it could take hours to get to your hotel this way. With the train you'll be at your hotel in under an hour. <BR>Depending on the weather, your itinerary doesn't sound like too much. But I would agree with a previous poster--go to Windsor rather than a day trip to Leeds if you've never been to London before. You may want to check the weather forecasts to pick the day for sitting in Hyde Park; Feb. can be cold and rainy.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 07:15 AM
flygirl

Hi<BR><BR>I never took Hotellink, but I will agree - Gatwick Express is great. Your first day you don't want to bump all over town dropping folks off - you will really sap your energy this way.<BR><BR>It's maybe 20 bucks, plus the cab could be that much as well (or not) but just remember - time is money. springing 40 bucks to save yourself grief and have more time on the ground is so much better.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Ira

Hi Georgian,<BR> If you are going to the Tate Modern, you might wish to stop in at The Globe Theatre, which is almost next door.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 09:45 AM
zzz

Georgian<BR><BR>I think you can see much more without getting too tired or making it into a blur. Couple of recommendations:<BR><BR>- Apsley House which is the Wellington Museum (Hyde Park Corner) <BR><BR>- Sir John Soan’s Museum (Holborn)<BR><BR>- Musuem of London, its free and close to St. Pauls.<BR><BR>- Horse Gurds Parade. Can be done with a trip to Westminister Abbey. Horse Guards, on Whitehall halfway between Trafalgar Square and Parliament, you can see a guard changing with fewer tourists to block your view. From the Westminster tube stop, walk away from the river towards Parliament Street and turn right. Parliament Street becomes Whitehall. You’ll find the Horse Guards on Whitehall on the left, just across the street from the Banqueting House. Go through the entrance to the parade grounds in the rear. Guards are changed at 11am Mon-Sat and 10am on Sundays. The new guard leaves Hyde Park barracks, about 35 minutes before the Changing, rides via Hyde Park Corner, Constitution Hill, and the Mall, and arrives at the Horse Guards building. <BR><BR>- Go to Hampstead Heath &amp; Highgate Cemetery on the same day and drop Kew Gardens.<BR><BR>- Stick your head in the National Gallery when you have lunch at St. <BR>Martins. <BR><BR>- Consider some of the London walking tours<BR><BR>- Wallace Collection

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
janis

Everyone has given you good info and you may be overloaded with more to come - but some specific comments:<BR><BR>1) Too much on the first day (but you already decided that)<BR><BR>2) You cannot fit in St Pauls (w/ or w/o the climb to the top), a walk across the river, and Tate Modern before lunch back across the river at St Martin's in the Field. Pick one or the opther and do the other one after lunch.<BR><BR>3) There is no need to plan a special time to see Picadilly Circus. It is VERY near Leicester Square and most of the theatres so you will likely walk through it several times during your trip.<BR><BR>4) As mentioned before Kew and Hampstead on the same day is a no go. <BR><BR>5) Either Windsor or Hampton Court would be MUCH better than Leeds. Hampton Court would be #1 if you have not been before.<BR><BR>6) Don't plan a day for the London Eye - wait until you know the weather. It is not necessary to pre-book mauch any more - especially in winter. You can usually get on any day/any time. If The weather is nice stop by and pick up your ticket - if not skip it for another day. Dusk is nice because you start up in daylight and the lights of big Ben and the City are coming on by the time you land.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 11:37 AM
janis

one more thing - someone mentioned getting to the Leicester Sq 1/2 price TKTS booth by 9AM. This winter the lines have been very short. There is no need to get there 1st thing in the morning. As long as you are there by 1 or 2 PM you will still have a full choice of matinees and evening performances. On my last trip (early this month) I was still able to get really good choices as late as 5 and 6 PM. And Feb is usually much less crowded than Dec, so you should have no problems.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Mavis

Might also consider either Knole or Blenheim instead of Leeds. We saw Leeds this fall and I wouldn't go back. Kind of impressive from a distance, but not much to look at inside. Knole, by the way, has tons of rooms and was the home of Vita Sackville-West. Blenheim of course was where Winston Churchill was born and you can see where he is buried in the small parish church at Bladon. Both places are easily reached by train/bus. I think your London plans are fine, although like everyone else we all have our favourites. I, too, tend to wander around the British Museum on my first day, although I always walk back to my hotel through a park if I can. St. James's and Hyde are two of my favourites. I think there's something about sunshine and jet lag (assuming, of course London obliges with some sunshine). A few things we really enjoyed were the Imperial War Museum, easily you could a whole day there and never be bored, the Museum of London, and for something different we went to the Old Bailey and watched a trial in progress. Have fun.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:33 PM
janis

Mavis - both Knole and Blenheim are fabulous. UNFORTUNATELY, neither one is open in February.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Diane

We did the hop on and off bus our first day and got off at St. Martins in the Field for lunch in the crypt and to pick up tickets for a 7PM candlelight concert. We then rode the bus around back to Victoria Station and headed to our hotel for a nap, and to make sure of our tube route back to St Martins (it was easy). We really weren't that hungry so waited to eat until after the concert. It was simply astounding and I highly recommend it. Starts your London trip off on a &quot;high&quot; note (ooooooooh sorry about the pun...) But, really, it was truly delightful. Have a good trip!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Nigel Doran

You could also try a car service to meet you at Gatwick. Try a search for Ray Skinner or Swiss Cottage Cars. Gatwick Express is always a good bet, though. It takes you to Victoria Station, from where you can get a cab or a Tube. But check exactly where you hotel is and even ring them to see whether they recommend a cab or Tube.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -