Reload this Page >

@5th Wedding Anniversary-where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Denise

Hi Everyone, <BR> <BR>For 4 years, I have valued everyone's opinion on this site and have used it to plan 3 trips to Europe (Munich/Prague, and twice to Italy). Next summer my husband and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary. We absolutely love Italy and wouldn't mind going back at all. We have only been to Florence, Rome, Orvieto, Lucca, Siena, Montecatini terme. Never to the Amalfi coast or Venice. We can spend about 2-3 weeks during the summer months. I would appreciate your suggestions. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Denise

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Rex

Well.... <BR> <BR>you know a suggestion I could make... <BR> <BR>"Our" departure on September 19 is technically during the summer months - - the first day of autumn isn't until the 20th (or is it the 21st?) - - right? <BR> <BR>Best wishes.. (and wink...) <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Jon

Rex, <BR> <BR>I hope your upcoming group trip is a huge success. I support your "promotion" of it on this forum, at least until all spots are filled. I also support your contributions on this forum against "Rexbashers." <BR> <BR>However, it's a bit bothersome to think that you might begin to allow the trip to tarnish your previous record of posting integrity. This young lady has a request for information that I'm sure you could provide several interesting suggestions for, but withheld in the interest of your upcoming trip. <BR>Why not, in the future, INCLUDE your trip plug along with the other valid travel advice we know you hold, as opposed to REPLACING information with it. <BR> <BR>I would at least expect you to take this opportunity to inform Denise that she would get better responses if she would list her specific interests and travel goals. <BR> <BR>Thanks for listening, <BR>j. <BR> <BR>Denise, <BR> <BR>As a France fan, I would recommend Paris and Provence, or Paris, Lyon, and Geneva or Chamonix. With 3 weeks you could then hit northern Italy. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip, <BR>j.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Rex

To Jon: <BR> <BR>Thank you for the candid and constructive posting. There has been the occasional suggestion that I have lost my tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and wit. <BR> <BR>So my NON-answer was meant as joking. <BR> <BR>Denise's question is so broad that a good answer would require knowing more about her and her husband, and even then, it would fill much more space than we have here. <BR> <BR>But that doesn't mean one shouldn't try to repond. <BR> <BR>For summer, I can recommend any of the following: <BR> <BR>The south of France and Northern Italy - - yes, seriously, I recommend any of numerous variations on "our" fall "Fodorites' trip". Start in Nice and work your way eastward, with lots of time in the Lake region, with magical places like the Borromean islands, or Bellagio/Tremezzo, Bergamo, and any of the dozen places I have mentioned within an hour of Garda. End up in Venice or get a little further off the beatnen track and explore all the way to Trieste or Goriza (though Venice would still be a good candidate for a gateway Europe city for return trans-atlantic travel - - assuming Denise and husband are from North America). <BR> <BR>A second favorite itinerary: "circle Switzerland" - - start in Munich, then western Austria, northern Italy, the Savoy and/or Alsace-Lorraine, ending up back in Germany at the end, anywhere between Basel and Frankfurt. And oh yes, you can cut "through" Switzerland, if you wish, in any number of ways - - try a taste of Liechtenstein, and then head to Lucerne, Gstaad, and Montreux or exit out the St Bernard Pass. Or turn south at Lucerne and head to Lake Como. So many possibilities, so little time. <BR> <BR>Final suggestion: Black Forest, then Alsace-Lorraine, and head west to Paris and even try a little of points west, (north or south) such as Normandy or the Loire. <BR> <BR>I have not suggested Provence, west of Nice, partly because of crowds and heat - - nor south of Tuscany for the same reasons - - though in the spirit of honesty, I have never been south of Rome in the summer months (well, maybe in 1969). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 01:48 AM
Denise

Thank you both. <BR>