Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

53 Year old first time to Paris(what to wear)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Betty Barnes

First time to Paris in March and planning on taking slacks and maybe blazers. Have been told not to wear blue jeans how about pull over sweaters? I know for sure to wear comfortable walking shoes because we will be doing alot of sight seeing.<BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 04:26 PM
c

Hi, Betty, pull over sweaters are fine, slacks,pants,trousers, are fine.When I was in Paris in March last, I wore layers, a long sleeve tee,sweater, jacket, scarf,it is windy there sometimes, and gloves! remember the gloves! But then the restaurants and museums can be overheated so you need to be able to start peeling off those layers when the warmth gets to be too much. Have a wonderful time, remember to eat every dessert,(especially chocolate!) a cheese course, and shop! Candice

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 05:13 AM
elaine

Hi Betty<BR>Congratulations!<BR>Your own instincts and c's suggestions will do you just fine.<BR>March can be very cold, so layers are important, as are the gloves, extra dry socks, and an umbrella. Make sure your comfy shoes can accommodate the socks.<BR>I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR>Bon voyage

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 05:31 AM
AC

Betty:<BR>Congratulations! My first trip to Paris was also in March. I wore turtleneck shirts (the kind skiers use Duo fold) A pull over sweater, a wool blazer and then my water proof lightweight jacket. The jacket had a hood. A scarf, gloves (don't forget these) and I had a hat with me. I did not always wear it, but it was with me at all times. As a first timer, remember to pack things that you can mix and match. Don't bring complete outfits. I usually bring a scheme of brown, or green, and you certainly can't miss with black! Have a great trip and I am very jealous!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 05:33 AM
AC

Betty:<BR>oops forgot to mention pants! I wore lined wool pants. They are warm when they need to be and great if it rains, the water just beads off. Don't forget a totable umbrella. Have fun!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Tina

When I was in Paris during April '99 it was cooooold. Very glad that I'd brought the lining to my zip-in raincoat. Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Millie

Betty, You're on the right track. And pull-over sweaters are terrific. Warm, don't wrinkle, and can be layered. I wouldn't wear sweatshirts. Turtle-necks or a t-shirt under the sweater will keep you warm. Might take heavy and thin socks; some days you may want to wear both to keep warm. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Lisa

You'll see lots of blue jeans worn by all nationalities in Paris. Ditto for comfortable sneakers. Paris has gotten much more casual over the years.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:17 PM
cd

I just bought some "Therma Thins" to take to Ireland in a few weeks. They are lightweight thermal underwear without weight or bulk and will fit nicely under slacks and sweaters. I believe I will be able to wash them out at night and hang to dry, ready for the next day as they are so light weight.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Capo

Hi Betty. I'm sure there are many people who might disagree with me, but I'd beg to differ on the "no blue jeans" advice you've been given. If you love jeans (as I do) you might consider black jeans since they'd still be jeans, but a bit dressier.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 02:44 PM
John Bermont

Betty: If you want to be treated as if you are wearing jeans then you wear jeans. If you want respect you'll look sharp. My Dutch girlfriend wore a black jumpsuit with a fashion scarf and a rain/trenchcoat. It looked great. When the quick March storms blow in, duck into a bistro for a warm up beverage. Jeans weigh more than any two pairs of anything else and take forever to dry when they get wet. <BR>Pay attention to the other women posters here who have offered a lot of excellent advice, except for the sneakers stuff; she must be kidding. Those things will get you stopped at the door of many places, and also weigh as much as two pairs of decent shoes. <BR>Levis and Nikes are for high schoolers.<BR>John<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com/cds/france.htm

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Lisa

Isn't John the snob! La tee da! We were well treated in Paris, in spite of our jeans and sneakers and in spite of the reputation of Parisians! How do you like that! Of course, we were sightseeing in our jeans and sneakers, not going to fancy restaurants.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Lisa

PS John has obviously not tried on a lot of sneakers lately if he thinks they are heavier than other shoes....Wake up, John! Bet John doesn't live on the west coast where everyone in high tech wears sneakers to work - and even blue jeans, if they like!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:51 PM
janis

Even if John is a snob (which I doubt) his advice is correct. <BR><BR>Of course you can wear jeans - BUT why on earth would you want to. They are heavy, take 3 days to dry, and are not the least bit warm. <BR><BR>If you want to be casual to a fault - take the jeans. Jeans can look fine - but almost anything else looks better - and is more comfortable.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:52 PM
shari

Jeans are for the country, for hiking, for relaxation...you are in Paris one of the world's major cities...so look smart! I wear jeans all the time , in the countryside, but when I go to a city I switch to city mode!! By the way most 53 yr olds do not look that great in jeans anyway!<BR><BR>Black jeans may pass during the day but for heaven"s sake do get smart at night , if you are going anywhwere other than the corner cafe!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Lisa

Just a hick living in a major west coast city. Maybe you's should come here and teach us something about fashion! Like I said, I saw lots of jeans in Paris, and noone seemed to really care. And, PS. I'm 50 and I look great in jeans!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:02 PM
xxx

Lisa, dear, I think you are the snob. The "American" way is the only way, wear jeans, especially when and where they are not appropriate.<BR><BR>You may think you look great in jeans. If so you would simply look that much better in grown up clothing.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Leslie

I have to agree with those that are for taking jeans. I take them on all of my vacations -- blue and black ones. But, I also take chinos. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking jeans.<BR><BR>By the way, you'd be surprised but the Parisians will accept your money even if you are wearing jeans. I even got into Maxim's with my jeans on. My friends and I received excellent service and we had a very nice table.<BR><BR>Be yourself and wear what is comfortable.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:10 PM
xxx

Anyone who would brag about how badly they can dress and still receive good service doesn't have a clue. Continue to wear your tacky jeans and be clueless.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Lois

What's the big deal? Wear what you are comfortable in and can pack easily. I got blisters from walking about in my fancier shoes and switched to my sneakers after 1/2 day of touring in Paris. I didn't notice any sideways glances....You will see lots of jeans in Paris, and this is the first I've heard that it offends anyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -