5-hour delay train delay

Sep 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

5-hour delay train delay

I was notified by email of a 5-hour delay in our departure from Brive, meaning a 10pm rather a 5pm arrival in Paris. Our tickets are non-changeable and non-reimbursable. Is there any chance that SNCF will reimburse us because of the 5-hour delay? Well, I know there's a chance, but does anyone know about any specific policy in cases like this? Thanks for the help.
Sep 25th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Not clear - what is the content of the email other than the new departure time? The reason given?

Is it the new timetable that will come into effect on Dec. 11?

Is there a breakdown in train service on that line, meaning there is no train in the interim, meaning you can't get there any sooner?

Are you looking to go by other means, like car or bus, and is that why you want a to be reimbursed?

Or are there other trains, just not the kind you're booked on, that you could take? Aren't they all TEOZ, so if there is no train, you have to wait for the next one?

Please clarify, maybe someone will have an idea?
Sep 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

The reason for the delay given in the email is work on the line: "en raison de travaux d'amélioration sur la ligne." It's for mid-October so it's not related to the new timetable effective in December. The other trains from Brive to Paris seem to be running on schedule, as well as the trains from Toulouse where our train originates, and this train disappeared from the SNCF web site a couple of days after I reserved, which is very strange. The times of the other trains from Brive are not convenient, and I'd prefer to fly from the new Brive/Dordogne airport. I hope this clarification helps.
Sep 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks, makes sense.

With this info, and with printouts / xerox copies of all pertinent receipts, confirmations, and their email, I would go to a RENFE ticket office as soon as you get to France.

State your case calmly and clearly as having had to make alternate arrangements because of their change of schedule, and you should get a refund.

If you see an address (for real mail better than email) on any of the documents, customer service or such, to where you think you could write snailmail in the meantime, do it and keep the copies, too. Whether you hear back or not, it's just one more thing in your favor that you can present to the agent when you get to France.

Now that's not legal advice, that's just how I think I would proceed and expect to get satisfaction.

Good luck!
Sep 26th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, DL. I have printed the email tickets, email receipt, and the "delay" letter from the SNCF, and I'll hope for the best.
Sep 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM

You can also call SNCF:

http://www.news-voyageur.com/les-num...it-de-la-sncf/
Sep 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, StCirq, for the numbers. We're off this afternoon for 3 days with friends near St.-Emilion and then 2 weeks in La Roque-Gageac!!!