5 days in Paris for a couple celebrating 40th anniverdary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

April in Paris. We will be there after 5 days in Rome. We are celebrating our 40th wedding Anniversary (all credit to the lady indeed ! )
Aware of the Eiffel Tower; Champs Elissee; Notre Dame Cathedral; Ride the boat on the Seine; etc. But . . . . (always a but ) a day by day itinerary by Fodor's friends with previous experience would be "just what the doctor ordered" . A daily trip from Paris would be welcome. Where to ?
Thanks for your valuable input.

Never2old
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:10 PM

There are a couple of itineraries active here now...

What are your interests? Museums catch your fancy? Big ones, little ones?

Paris Walks have many walking tours that last around 2 hours, in English, and are a nice way to see Paris through the eyes of a local.

Parks and gardens....Tuileries, Palais Royal, Place des Vosges, Luxembourg Gardens are ones I've been to. There is also the Jardin des Plantes, which is the main botanical garden in Paris as well as location of Natural History Museum.

I'd add St Chapelle to Notre Dame...it is nearby and has some stunning stainde glass windows. Also in this area is Ile St Louis, a small island connected to the Cite island, where ND is located. It is a small island, with mansions and some nice shops and restaurants. In this area are the nice views of the Seine, either up top or down by the river itself.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:11 PM

You should go buy a guide book and figure out what intersest you. We can't tell you what you will enjoy, but we will give opinions, for sure! So give us a place to start, and we'll be happy to help. Paris is an experience kind of place, so the less planning in my book for a romantic visit the better.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:15 PM

Rule of thumb I've seen here is plan to do two things a day, and spend the rest of the time wandering the area or sitting at a cafe. I like that rule
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not put a walk on the Champs Elysees high on my list of priorities. Lots of chain stores. You can walk a bit of it or drive by on a taxi ride and feel like you have seen it.

More interesting and picturesque neighborhoods are found all around Paris. On the right bank, the Marais neighborhood is a fun area to explore. On the left bank, the Latin Quarter and St. Germain provide interesting neighborhoods and sights.

Definitely get a guide book or two.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:23 PM

Possibly a coach tour (1/2 day?) when you get there to see all the main sights, then pick a few to go back and see.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM

St. Sulpice is a must and your day trip has to be Versailles. Make sure you have macarons at Laduree (there are 3 with the Laduree on Rue Bonaparte being the most exotic) dinner at Le Grand Colbert is always an occasion rue du Bac and rue Cler in the 7th. are not to be missed and one of the best guided tours is for the Opera Garnier. It is a wonderful building from the outside and even more spectacular inside. And did I mention the incredible views from the rooftop cafe of Printemps? You will be busy.
http://www.laduree.fr/ http://www.legrandcolbert.fr/
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
TC

Hello "Never" and congratulations. We just celebrated our 40th in Africa. I searched for this old post of our 30th anniversary in Paris, but it appears to have dropped off the board. Here's a re-run for you to ponder. I must say, I was certainly impressed when my husband put this together. I think it holds up ten years later. All the best.
--------------------------------------------------------

November 1999: I got the surprise of my life. My husband whisked me off to Paris last Saturday for an unbelievable week to celebrate our 30th anniversary. I had no idea where we were headed, only that we were going on a trip, the weather would be approximately 50 degrees, we'd be doing a lot of walking - similar to NY. That's how I decided what to pack. I made quite the scene in the airport - crying, laughing, hugging strangers. Although I had my hopes up, it wasn't until we arrived at the airport and he handed me a gift box containing the Fodor's guide to Paris that my dream came true. My very first trip to Paris. For an amateur travel planner, he did a great job. I may let him keep this position permanently. He chose a small hotel in the Latin Quarter (only two people in the elevator at once), we ate in the most romantic little local restaurants every night (all chosen from a great book, Cheap Eats Paris - don't be fooled by the name) and we walked our legs off.

Arriving late on Sunday evening, our drive into the city gave us glorious nighttime, lighted views of the Arche de Triumphe and the Eiffel Tower. (I cried again.) We dined in a local brasserie on omelets and hot chocolate before turning in for the night exhausted from jet lag. Our Left Bank hotel, Jardin du Luxembourg, was located on a quiet side street just one block from the Luxembourg Gardens on the border of the 5th & 6th Arrondissements. Although the room was tiny we had plenty of space, a great, deep soaking tub, a beautiful iron bed with down comforter and pillows and our own little balcony complete with topiary and a fantastic rooftop view of Paris. Very romantic.

Up early on Monday we walked to Notre-Dame. The entrance facade was draped in plastic for restoration, but the interior is nothing short of amazing. Its hard to even imagine touching stones that were laid in 1163 or to think that Napoleon was crowned emperor in the very same spot where we stood. There were no crowds (this being the off season) so we were able to set our own pace. After Notre-Dame, we walked the Ile St.-Louis just gawking up at the architecture and down at the cobblestone streets. Then we bought chicken and gruyere paninnis and pear tarts to take along on our cruise of the Seine. An afternoon rain hurried us back to the hotel for naps before dinner at a charming country French restaurant, ChantAirelle, near the Pantheon. It was the most romantic dinner I've ever had for an anniversary (or most other occasions for that matter). We were in heaven eating puff pastry boxes filled with wild mushrooms, lamb with foi gras and pear tart for dessert. Being November, the Beaujolais Nouveaus had just arrived and we enjoyed a bottle almost every night. We found all of our delightful dining establishments from a great book called Cheap Eats Paris by Sandra Gustafson. Its a real winner. Most meals cost us about $50 for two including wine, appetizer, entre, dessert and tip. Each one was a gastronomic celebration at a much more diminutive price than I ever thought possible in Paris. See Chantairelle at www.chantairelle.com

On Tuesday we got our museum passes and started with a tour of the Musee d'Orsay. Here we saw Whistler's Mother, the Dega dancers (both on canvas and in clay), works by Manet, Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, vanGogh, Cezanne, Gauguin, Vuillard, Rodin, Matisse and wonderful art deco period rooms and furniture. I must admit that I was most impressed with the building itself, however. It took a true artist to turn the former train station into the current showcase. What started out to be a quick look, turned into an entire day and we were finally hustled out the door at closing by museum guards. We strolled through the cobblestone streets of St.-Germain looking in shops decked for Christmas. There were wonderful doll shops, and florists selling little boxes made from preserved rose leaves filled with preserved rose buds that they said would last for years. Our destination was Le P'tit Troquet; a tiny little restaurant down a side alley in the 7th Arrondissement. Here we were delighted with puff pastry filled with melted gruyere cheese and a delightful salad. Then a fish in reduction wine sauce and the best creme caramel in the world. The cute couple who own and operate the establishment wear all hats. She takes reservations, greets and seats, waits tables and delivers the fare as well as portraying a fine sommelier. He, of course, is the wonderful chef, but will emerge from the kitchen to help hang coats or clear the occasional table when needed. They were the epitome of charming. After leaving this bastion of french charm, we wandered on in search of our metro stop back home. All of a sudden we rounded a street corner and there was the Eiffel Tower in all its nighttime glory. Literally three blocks away it had been completely obscured. I think it was that "forest for the trees" thing going on. So we capped a perfect day with a ride to the top to see all of Paris glimmering below us.

The next morning we were up early to take the train to Versailles. It was late enough in the season that the fountains had been turned off and the flower gardens were bare, but with the absence of summer crowds we were able to see the palace at a leisurely pace. After a lunch of rabbit stew, french bread, tarts and cafe au lait in the Palace, we visited the Petit Trianon and the Grand Trianon, two "small" palaces also on the grounds. The Petit Trianon was built by Louis XVI as a gift to Marie-Antoinette. She, in turn, spent a fortune creating the Hameau - a hamlet of 3/4 sized thatched-roof cottages, watermill, lake and rose arbors and gardens to remind her of her Austrian country home. We slept all the way back to Paris on the train and returned to Chantairelle for diner because it was close and guaranteed delicious.

I wasn't sure I had another day left in my tired feet, but who could resist spending Thanksgiving at the Louvre? Its amazing how quickly fatigue fades when the mind is occupied with the likes of Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, the French crown jewels, Napoleon's apartments, or The Winged Victory. Its also easy to overlook the building itself while eyeing all the treasures housed within. But on the ceilings everywhere are frescos from the 1600s more beautiful than any at Versaille. Again, we stayed until the doors locked and only saw a fraction of the collection. Not surprising with over 400,000 pieces housed there. Tired feet weren't up for much walking, even for food, so we dined at La Bastide Odeon just four blocks from our hotel. The waiter couldn't have been friendlier - contrary to stories of the snooty French and their rudeness to Americans. When we asked about a non-smoking section (an unheard of practice in France) he vowed to seat all the smokers upstairs "if possible". Well, with his sincere effort we dined smoke-free that night - a real treat.

Friday was our final day and we decided to wander the streets. We saw the church of St. Chapelle, built in 1248 to house Louis IX's holy relics - the Crown of Thorns, two pieces of the True Cross, a nail from the Cross, the Roman soldier's lance that pierced Christ's side and several drops of Christ's blood. Today, only the Crown of Thorns remains and it is housed at Notre-Dame. There are 1500 sq. yds. of stained glass windows depicting the entire Bible in 1134 scenes. They say it takes two weeks of sun up to sun down reading with a good pair of binoculars to follow the whole stained glass text. Everywhere there is restoration going on - refreshing attitude compared to the demolition mentality in the U.S. The base of St. Chapelle was swathed in tents occupied by stonemasons. They were using ancient tools and methods to reproduce gargoyles and buttresses. However, they were blasting The Rolling Stones on their radio which ruined some of the ancient illusion. We visited the cathedral of St.-Germain-des-Pres, first built in AD 452 and later rebuilt in 1163 and wandered through picture perfect side streets and markets. We dined on duck cassoulet for lunch and ended the day shopping for souvenirs at La Samaritaine with a warm cup of hot chocolate in their rooftop restaurant to watch the sun set over the Seine. A walk home, a little rest and then our last dinner in Paris. This time we dined at Le Grenier, a vegetarian restaurant just across the river from Notre-Dame - a spectacular sight at night. The french can make even tofu taste divine as proven by my husband's lasagna. Of course, a great bottle of wine helps anything. We learned early in the trip that even the least expensive "house" wines are FRENCH! Delicious and cheap. A full moon walk home to pack and try to sleep, wishing all the time that we had another week......or month, to continue.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM

Keep in mind that another person's itinerary may not work at all well for you, given differing priorities and budgets, not to mention that certain things are closed on Mondays, certain things are closed on Tuesdays, you don't want to schedule a trip to Sainte-Chapelle or a bâteaux-mouches cruise when it's pouring, etc. Your best bet is to do some research on your own, come up with a sample itinerary and then let people critique it.

P.S. I wouldn't put the Champs Elysées high on my list, either.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM

We spent our 30th in Paris in Dec. 2008. Stayed in an apartment in the 5th (Latin Quarter but away from the tourist bustle), went to major museums, walked a lot. Couple of points above I second:

1. Take the bus tour on your first day. It will help you get oriented and you will see some sights that you otherwise would miss. There also are combination bus/boat tours, but I'd avoid the ones that include a mediocre meal.

2. Museum and transport passes are worthwhile.

3. Most important, decide what kind of experience you want, and how much you can do comfortably. That means making sure there's plenty of time for strolling and sitting at cafes at least a couple of times.

Our preference was to stay in the city and not go to Versailles or elsewhere (even though we had a week).

As for Champs Elysees, depends on what you like. If you are going to the Arc, it's fun to walk down a few blocks. If you like cars, don't miss the Peugeot store (yes, Peugeot!) which is a legitimate tourist attraction. We like to go up on the Arc at night and watch the Eiffel Tower light show.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:28 AM

Start with a 3.5 hour free overview tour that takes you from Place-St-Michel to the Arch of Triumph (including Champs-Elysees).

http://newparistours.com/index.php?o...d=13&Itemid=27

Notre Dame offers an exceptional 2-hour free tour Wednesdays & Thursdays - 2:00/Saturdays - 2:30

Paris Walks (as mentioned above) gives very good 2-hour tours that do not involve a lot of walking but are rich in the history of the area covered.

http://www.paris-walks.com/

For the rest, go to your local library and check out a few Paris guide books, browse through them and figure out your interests. Then come back for more advise.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Dear friends
Never2old sincerely thanks all of you for being so kind. Every reply brings some interesting points that I will add to my "research-Paris" books
It's nice to realize that one is Never 2 Old to make new friends.
Thank you !
Never ! Too old
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
TC

A book that we love to take along for walking around is ACCESS, PARIS. Its a wonderful street by street navigator with detailed information on attractions, architecture, food, transportation, shopping and hotels in each area of Paris. Great for figuring out what is near to what or what is near to where you might be -- such as a good place to eat near a particular museum.

http://www.amazon.com/Access-Paris-R...7159948&sr=1-1
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
TC, loved your post, and to all, congratulations on so many years together! So unique these days . . . .

Which reminds me -- we'll be married 25 years this year! So you are all giving me some great ideas, thank you!

To the OP, assuming this is your first trip, do write down all of the "can't miss seeing" stuff, and I see you have a list started. Then start filling in. I agree with Michel Paris's suggestions on planning (or partial planning and partial spontaneity.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM

Hi never2old

I've picked up some excellent walks put together by Degas on this forum - just put the name into the search panel on the Europe page and they'll come up.

My favorites are walking as much as possible, view from Montparnasse Tower & Arc de Triomphe, the little church around the corner from Sacre Coeur, Rue Mouffetard markets, Louvre & Eiffel Tower at night, Canal St Martin . . . there's just so much to see & do in Paris!
Can't wait for our next visit in July! Di
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:57 AM

My wife and I also spent our 40th anniversary in Paris and one of the day trips we did and thoroughly enjoyed was to Monet's garden in Giverny. It was a delightful day and quite easy to reach by train. We did it in September when the flowers wre gorgeous, but I am not sure what would be there in April. Perhaps somebody can give more information on that. Look it up on Google and you will get most of the information you need.