5 days in France-What do we do!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are stopping in France on our way back from India this July, and we only have 5 days to travel. It is our first time in Europe, and I don't know when (if ever) we will have a chance to go back. What would you recommend we see?

We would like to "see" Paris, but we definitely don't need to stay very long. We'd prefer to spend most of our time in smaller cities/towns enjoying the views, countryside, wine, etc. We love history, hiking, and wine. Did I mention we like wine? It would be great if we could see some of Italy and Germany too, but how easy is it to cross borders? Would it be better to stay and travel around the south of France? Also, I know it will be hot, so if you could recommend places that have a more mild summer that would be great too.

Any advice/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 01:49 PM

5 days ?
Just enough for Paris or Rome or ... but not to see several countries.
Scratch Germany - not a real wine coutnry (ok, some good balck forest and a spate Burgunder which is quite good but...).
Now if you want to tick several countries it is ok too, but i can't help you.

My rec is Paris with one/2 daytrips (Versailles and Senlis or Provins).
Wine ... well Paris is not a vineyards (some wine in Montmartre but still...).
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 02:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is VERY easy to cross borders -- you just don't have time to cross many/any of them.

Are you flying in and out of Paris? And does the 5 days include the flights? If so you really don't have more than about 3.5 days on the ground. Stick to Paris. . . . or change your flights.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 02:28 PM

Dear S:

1. "We only have 5 days to travel."

Does this mean you arrive on Day 1 and leave on Day 6? Given jet lag and probable flight/baggage/customs delays, this mean you have 4 days (if you eliminate the day you arrive and the day you leave as days available to be a tourist).

2. "What do you recommend we see?"

You like history, hiking, views and wine. Given your lack of time, I recommend picking ONE city/town/village, and using it as a base. You can pick Paris, or a small town accessible by train. In July, I recommend staying at or north of Paris due to heat. Paris itself will be quite warm and humid. IMO you do not have time for other countries/regions on this trip. If you enjoy yourselves, you will be back.

3. "We would like to 'see' Paris, but definitely don't need to stay long."

4-5 days is not a long time in Paris. You will be surprised how quickly it goes, particularly if you train to Chartres or Giverny or Rouen. Unfortunately, the "smaller cities/towns are not accessible by train (for the most part). I am taking my eighth trip this year and STILL have more to see and do.

4. "We like wine." Wine is sold everywhere. You do not have to travel to Burgundy or Bordeaux to enjoy good wine. Just go down the street to a good wine bar/cafe with outdoor seating.

5. Part of the "pleasure" of Paris is to stroll (flaner en francais), walk leasurely in the many parks and along the river, sit in cafes and watch the world go by while you read a book, etc. If this is not active enough for you, there are Sedgway tours and Pere Lachaise cemetary and the catacombs or hike up to Montmartre.

6. South of France will be much hotter and you really don't have time (see #1 above). Germany and Italy will be there when you return to Europe.

7. Fodor's has a reasonably good "Destination" guide to France available on line for free. I recommend investing some time purusing it or any good guidebook to see what is available in Paris and areas close to Paris and what things available in Paris/France interest you. Art museums aren't on your list, but some of the finest in the world are in Paris. Would you travel all the way to China and not see the Great Wall? At any rate, you will find an abundance of things of interest if you invest some time now.

8. Brittary is considerably cooler than Paris, but you will need a car for Mont Saint Michel, St. Malo, Dinan, Vannes. At any rate, I recommend spending the entire time in Paris (to minimize the packing, unpacking, familiarization, orientation and intra-city travel) and plan to endure a little heat in exchange for spending a few days in one of the world's greatest cities.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 03:12 PM

I agree with others, plan to send your 5 days in Paris.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 10:23 PM

Hey go to Lyon, its one of the most beautiful city in France.I personally prefer Lyon than Paris, it is extremely beautiful and there are so many things to see as well.

2nd option is may be you can move to Bandol in south part of France !
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 04:54 AM

STAY in Paris--how do you know you don't "need" to!! You can even take a day trip to Lyon if you "must". You have a VERY short time--moving around at all (Italy) will make it even shorter.