5 days in Bernese Oberland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi travelers! I'm planning a 5 day trip around Switzerland prior to a commitment in Lucerne. I'm looking for some advice on the best way to spend these days wrapped around the 2 things I'd most like do do - see the Jungfraujoch and I love train travel.
Arrive Zurich in early July. My original plan was to get to Tirano, take the Bernina Express to St Moritz, then hop on the Glacier Express to Zermatt. Then go to Interlaken area for couple days and go up to Jungfraujoch. I'm thinking this is too aggressive for such a short time. May have to pass on the BEX, and from what I'm reading in this Switzerland forum, skip the GEX. Have been to Bern, Geneva, Lausanne, taken the Golden Pass train already.
If I concentrate my time in Bernese Oberland, best place for a base for day trips? Lakes, mountains and light hiking. Appreciate any feedback!
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would do the Bernina and yes, we do have some people here who love to tell us how the Glacier is "the most overrated trip in SDwitzerland." The Bernina affords spectacular scenery but try to only do it one way. Could you possibly fly into Milan and make your way to Tirano from there?

Just re-read your post so I guess my suggestion won't work, sorry for that suggestion.

As to the BO base, lots of opinion differences but last time there we stayed in Grindelwald and used it as a base but Lauterbrunnen might be better depending on what you want to do.
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:57 PM

I would stay in Wengen and day trip to Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken, Speiz, Thun, etc. and the many places to see/things to do in all these areas and do some hiking as well.

Get the Berner Oberland Regional pass (4 days CHF 230, 6 days 290) which will also take you to Lucerne at the end of your stay.

Looking at my screen background picture of the incredibly beautiful Wengen, I can't wait to be there in late July dining at the Hotel Schonegg with a gift certificate won (5th prize) in the Hello Switzerland Magazine contest!

Enjoy your time there!
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
kja

I'm no expert, but I think you might have better options than those you suggest. You might consider basing in Interlaken, with day trips to Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Murren/+ or into Brienz or Thun or ...

Enjoy!
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Will check the hotel rates in the Interlaken area. Looking forward to seeing beautiful Switzerland again!
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Stay in the mountains.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:57 PM

I would not stay in Interlaken but rather in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren or another town in that beautiful area.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

I'm staying in Wengen! Will the Berner Oberland Regional pass cover Zermatt to Wengen, then to Lucerne, and including the day trips while in Wengen for a couple days? Include Jungfraujoch too? What other travel cards are recommended? Thank You!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:28 AM

I'm looking at the map that came with the timetable for the Berner Oberland Pass and no it will not cover you to Zermatt as I read the map you can get to Visp and Brig and toanswer your other question re Lucerne using the Zentralbahn route from Interlaken Ost you will gst aas far as Sarnen. The other Pass I would recommend would be the Half Fare Card, which does what it says on the tin, and includes the trip to Jungfraujoch.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM

If just going to be in the Jungfrau Region and riding many expensive conveyances there you may also want to look at the Jungfraubahn Pass, which I believe covers more things in full than does the Berner Oberland Pass though that may extend to Lucerne. Look at both if you know what you are doing.

The Half-Fare Card costs about $130-140 to start so to break even you must spend a total of another $130-140 - that's to break even - hard to do in a limited time but you could of course use it in Lucerne as well.

Anyway for loads of great info on Swiss trains and various passes I always spotlight these IMO superb sites: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. The Berner Oberland and Jungfraubahn Passes can be bought at any train station in their coverage area.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:27 AM

http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/jungfraubahnen-pass
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 08:35 AM

http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/offer-2014/
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 09:01 AM

My wife and I loved Wengen and found it very convenient for exploring the BO. We stayed at the Alpenrose and loved it!
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM

Some folks, including many folks on Fodor's love Wengen but others like me do not - I mean to stay there because the town at night is too church-mouse quiet - I like to have strollers in streets at nights and a little more action - like you find in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen - because those towns are larger and also appeal much more to younger travelers who enjoy the apres-ski or apres-hiking nightlife.

So if you like car-free quiet tranquil places, which older folks tend to want, one reason Wengen is a favorite with FodorGarchs, this is heaven - and the views are dramatic from any hotel balcony.

It ain't my cup of tea but I can see that it is for many, especially the older you are.

Wengen is also IME more expensive for accommodations, lacking the economy digs that abound in Grindelwald - like the neat Nature Friends House, an all-ages communal living place a favorite of German and Swiss hikers and skiers of all ages.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 09:20 PM

PalQ keeps harping about how quiet Wengen is at night -- apparently he's never found the bars in the small back streets that are packed with ski instructors in the evenings. I found them to be pretty lively and loud in the evenings when I walked past, exploring the village.

I personally avoid Grindelwald in the summertime -- that's as high as the tour busses can go, and so they all go there. The streets are lined with the tour busses, and the sidewalks are crowded with the off-loaded day-tripping passengers who then congregate at stores' doorways. It's an entirely unpleasant experience. I stayed in Grindelwald with my mom one summer, and I declared I'd never do it again.

I also personally dislike Lauterbrunnen because it lies at the base of some huge, overhanging cliffs. That would depress me. However, other folks have said that the cliffs add to the cosiness of the village, and others have said that they don't even notice them -- But if it were me and no one had told me about the cliffs, I'd be upset staying there. If you're thinking of staying there, you may want to look at some pictures with google's "images" search engine to see what you think.

I really think you'll be fine in Wengen. You'll find lots of social activity in your hotel's bar and lounge in the evening, or if you want more, just get lost in the back streets and find those bars. I've stayed at the Alpenrose two times and was perfectly happy there (they used to host a gathering with wine & cheese one evening a week). I also saw folks gathering in the hotel bar to swap stories of the day's hike or ski runs, and folks settling in the lounge for card games.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 04:18 AM

Again nothing wrong with Wengen but it is just a lot more quiet than the other two and this is what many folks are looking for. My experiences in Grindelwald, having stayed there many times, not just once, are not the same as S's - buses do not clog the main street all the time and much of the town is off-limits to buses - just like Wengen.

Younger folk love Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen more often because there are lots of younger folk there - a Contiki tour group camp in Lauterbrunnen brings many in, etc.

Different strokes for different folks and I feel swandav's portrayal of Grindelwald is so so far off the mark as he/she implies the whole town is overrun with tour buses and in fact most of the town is not accessible by vehicle save the main dumping ground.
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 08:07 AM

PalQ, I'm a woman.

I've stayed in Grindelwald 3 times -- twice for one week and the third time for 4 nights with my mom. That's when it was overrun, and that's when I saw it as a madhouse. Just reporting my experiences, not what I've heard, to help the op avoid a possible similar experience.

The off-loaded mobs do indeed go far into the town. The town is simply too small to absorb that many day-trippers graciously.

s
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM

I'm 43 (but feel 23), so I don't know if I'm considered older or younger! But we stayed in Wengen 7 years ago and head back there in 3 weeks. And we thought it was heaven. So put this middle aged guy down as a thumbs up for Wengen!
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 07:28 AM

swandav and I have very different recollections of Grindelwald and Interlaken - two folks can see the same thing in very real different ways - ah the eye of the beholder. I have never stayed in Wengen but I have often stayed in Grindelwald and to me the town was never ruined by tourists - but again what being ruined by tourists is a subjective thing.

I love the coming and going of hiking groups, with all their regalia and alpinists, many of whom stay in Grindelwald and tend to be younger and after a hard day of hiking, mountain climbing whatever want an active apres-ski or apres-hiking scene.

This action of many hiking groups coming and going to me is a plus - to others it may be being overrun by tourists. No one is right no one is wrong in what they perceive and how they perceive it.

You can't go wrong staying in either, that is the only real point of contention here - swandav says Grindelwald is completely ruined by tourists and I do not.
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Oh, I agree with you there, PalQ -- I love seeing hiking groups and hiking families. I loved that when I was in Scuol for 4 nights -- saw no cameras and no souvenir shops but only serious hikers heading purposely for the lifts. Lots of sports stores instead of souvenir shops.

Unfortunately, that's not what I saw in Grindelwald. The crowds would descend from those large tour busses, about 40 at a time, all dressed for urban exploration. With only 2 busses, that would mean a crowd that the town just couldn't absorb.

I wonder if you were gone during the day and so missed this sight? As I said, I was travelling with my mom, who didn't want to leave the town at all, so I got to see all the tourist traffic of a normal day. Perhaps you were there in the morning and the evening after the busses and crowds had left.

s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -