5 day trip from Genoa

Old May 20th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 day trip from Genoa

Hi, I am going to visit my daughter in Genoa for 5 days. We are hoping to visit a few places. I'm thinking Milan, Florence, Venice or maybe just one or two. Any suggestions? My first time in Europe! Thank you for any help. Kathi
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What time of year is your trip? Milan is about 2.5 hrs or so via train from Genoa, so if you caught an eary train, you could do this as a day trip. Trains run frequently. You might want to consider visiting Cinque Terre, which is about a 2 hr train trip to Monterossa, the first of the 5 villages closest to Genoa. From there, take a boat to Vernazza (so picturesque, but crowded). These trips can easily be done as day trips. You could also take the train to Santa Margherita Ligure, spend most of the day there, then take the boat to Portofino (very crowded and expensive, but beautiful) and return to SML, maybe having some dinner before catching the train back to Genoa.

Spend time in Genoa, especially around the harbor area. We took a harbor cruise and one of the (unexpected and unannounced) things we saw was the remains of the Costa Concordia, which is being dismantled in Genoa. It was sad to see the ship, as 13 people lost their lives on it.

You'll find numerous places to eat anywhere you go, from casual to elegant, so it's just up to your budget as to where you stop.

Have a great trip!