4 nights Venice, 4 nights Milan July 2016

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some homework before i posted, but still want the fodorite community opinions since they are plenty. Family of five with 16, 14, 12 year old. We have travelled a lot and took kids to Meditterenean cruise 2012 hopping on and off on those ports. Also we have visited Africa and central Amerca.

We are Flying into and out of Milan. Purpose of the trip is exploration, eating, drinking, and relaxing. We are not going to spend 4-5 hours in museums but will add in some culture with a short visit there and visits to some of the churches. We Arrive Wed. July 6, taking train straight to Venice and spending 4 nights. B and B called B&B Al Palazzetto (per the proprietor "The Al Palazzetto is located at the end of Calle delle Vele, in the quiet Calle Corrente",) We will have Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights here. I do want to take one day trip. I know that there's much to see in Venice but still want to take a day trip. Looking into Torcellos, Bologna, or Trieste. Thoughts? Any others? I even have bounced around the idea of Croatia for a day, but think i've talked myself out of it.

Places in Venice i have looked into visiting...
Doge's Palace
Rialto Market
San Marco
Church Maddelena Nativity Scenes
Frari Church

Sunday we train back to Milan and have rented an apartment 500 meters near the train station.
We will have Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed nights here. I want to take 2 day trips out of Milan. Looking into Lugano, Lake Como, Pavia, Cinque Terre. Realize Cinque Terre is father away but looks like it's worth it? Thoughts on those day trips? Again, I am planning on doing those, realize it is a lot of transit time.
I have just now started looking into Milan sight seeing. Places i looked into....
Last Supper
any others welcome to add.

does anyone have a private tour guide for Milan sight seeing? We did this in Rome and amalfi coast and it was wonderful addition.

Thank you!
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Venice is okay but I would pick one of those day trip spots from Milan and not spend all that time in Milan...especially if you are not seeking museums..last night only in Milan.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 06:30 AM

Agree---spend one less day in Milan.
Forget the CT---much too far.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 08:36 AM

Another vote to drop a day from Milan. You would spend quite a bit of time getting to CT for just a day trip. If you want something different, hop the train to Genova, about a 2 hr trip. It's a very walkable city and has a beautiful port area with lots of places to both eat and shop. There's also an aquarium, which is one of Europe's largest if that's of any interest.

If you're interested in seeing The Last Supper, suggest you purchase tickets in advance or risk getting shut out.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 09:44 AM

I did a Last Supper walking tour with Walks of Italy in March. It was great because the docent had time to give us a lot of details about the Last Supper outside while we were waiting for our allotted time. (you only get 20 mins inside to actually look at the painting)
We also walked through the Brera district, went to the Castle and finished up on the roof of the Duomo which was amazing.

As we were walking our docent pointed out all kinds of interesting things, very enjoyable.

I actually spent six days in Milan and liked it a lot, I know that is not the general consensus on Fodor's but for me it was great.

I agree to drop CT, it is a long way to go to spend the day being jostled around in the crowds. Google some images of what it looks like on a typical day in tourist season. Not what I'd want to do with three kids in tow.
I was there in mid April a few years ago and it was busy then but looks to be an absolute zoo now.

Torino would be an easy day trip from Milan.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
have you thought about how to organise some activities for the kids that they might enjoy [and let them run off some energy?] Italy will be hot and you should think about how to get them some swimming e.g. at the Lido in Venice.

You might also want to consider staying on one of the lakes for a couple of days as a chance for some relaxation between cities.

As for what to do in Venice, four nights gives you 3 days so not much time for a day trip by train to Trieste or or Bologna. However, Torcello is easily done by vaporetto; you take the boat to Burano [which in itself is well worth exploring] and then the little ferry across to Torcello. You can easily see Burano and Torcello in half a day and perhaps have a meal there as well before getting the vaporetto back to Venice proper. [the vaporetto is about 45 mins each way and the ferry another 10 mins, though there might be a bit of a wait]

apart from that, we and our kids [a little bit older than yours at the time but not that much enjoyed the Secret Itineraries tour of the Doge's palace, the Rialto Market [get there by about 9am to see it in its full flow] the Frari [mostly for its extraordinary tombs] and just wandering around getting lost. To see the Basilica di San Marco you should book in advance - the queues in July will be very long:

http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/infor...zioni/?lang=en

oh yes, and the Campanile on the Isolo di San Georgio - cheaper than the one in San Marco and fewer people wanting to climb it [there's a lift]. and the view is just as good!

Finally, though some may disagree, [and probably will] IMO getting a vaporetto pass for the duration of your stay is a very good investment and will allow you to explore the city far more extensively than you will without it; the kids will get tired and it's a good way of giving them a rest while still being able to sight-see. Tickets are €7.20 each now which with 5 of you will soon mount up!
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 11:07 AM

People keep denigating Milan who haven't ever bothered to find out what there is to see and do there. I think it's a great destination for both adults and kids. We've never taken my granddaughter there (yet) but she can't wait to visit the fashion capital of the world!

The Sforzesco castle is an enormous castle right in the center of the city. There are some museums inside in various parts of the structure, including the Museum of Ancient Egypt, the Prehistoric Museum, the Museum of Musical Instruments, etc. One of the museums (I don't know which) has an armaments collection. There's also some kind of a guided walk on the ramparts of the castle. I haven't been to any of the museums, and I'm sure they're not of major importance, but they might be just the thing for a family with kids. The castle itself is very satisfying as castles go.

http://adartem.it/english/

The Grande Naviglio is one of the few remaining canals in what was once a vast network connecting Milan to its hinterland. In the summer there are boat excursions on the canals, sometimes combined with bike rentals when you get outside the city.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

The Duomo is fascinating for kids and adults, especially if you go up to the terraces, which are covered with a forest of Gothic statues.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

The Brera art gallery is a small art museum, but with a great collection of art from all periods. It was created as a resource for art students in the adjacent art school.

There are usually two or three great temporary art exhibits in the Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace) next to the Duomo. We've seen wonderful exhibits of works by Van Gogh and Chagall, among others.

The old-fashioned trams, the Vittorio Emanuele shopping gallery, the Scala opera house, and just the general elegant, energetic atmosphere of the city, so different from other Italian cities make it one of my favorite Italian cities. We've been there three or four times, and there's still a lot I haven't seen.

I wouldn't dream of going to the Cinque Terre on a day trip. Here's an Italian newspaper article, with a photo and an even more revealing video, which will give you a good idea why.

http://genova.repubblica.it/cronaca/...ti_-123899365/

I like the idea of a day trip to Lugano. It's an Italian Swiss town on a nice lake, and it takes only an hour to get there from Milan. You might also have time to visit Bellinzona, which is about half an hour further on the same train line, and has three castles in one town.

http://www.bellinzonaunesco.ch/castelliunesco/en/

The old town of Bergamo (Bergamo Alta) or Torino are possibilities for a day trip, if you don't want to see all the things Milan has to offer. Torino has a museum with one of the world's largest and best collections of Egyptian art and artifacts, and also a royal palace. It's a very nice city, close to Milan but very different.

From Venice, Verona is a very attractive town for a day trip. Torcello and Burano are two islands in the lagoon that are part of Venice, and can both be visited easily in a single day. I know it's a bit of a tourist trip, but I really enjoyed seeing the glassblowers at work on Murano. In the summer, you have to visit in the morning, because they close early on account of the heat. Don't go on a tour, because you'll be pressured to buy things. Just get a vaporetto there. I should warn you that the vaporetto will be extremely crowded in the summer.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info. I am compiling it and making a few arrangments based on the thoughts. July will be hot and crowded i am sure!