Reload this Page >

4 Hrs. Layover in Brussels Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 1999, 12:28 PM
andrea

Please, I need your feedback/comments on how to best spend our 4 hours layover early in the morning (6-10). Is there any place we can go nearby rather than sitting at the airport? We'll appreciate your reply and thanks in advance fellow Fodorites!

Old Dec 25th, 1999, 12:54 PM
Al

A shuttle train takes you to Midi station in the center of Brussels in about 20 minutes. It's only a stone's throw from the Grande Place, the Renaissance square you have seen so often in pictures. Walk around, explore some of the side streets (take in the statue of the Mannequin Pis, if you wish), and return.

Old Dec 25th, 1999, 01:56 PM
andrea

Thanks for your prompt reply!!!I guess Brugge (sp?) is out of the question?

Old Dec 25th, 1999, 06:12 PM
Al

The Brussels airport lies north of the city, about 15 miles or so. Brugge lies to the west, about 40 miles. You don't have time. Sorry.

Old Dec 25th, 1999, 06:31 PM
Al

Correction: Brugge is 60 miles from Brussels.

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Hi - do what my husband and I often do under similar circumstances. Leave any bags in a locker, go out to the taxi stand, and request an English speaking driver, ask how much he'd charge to drive you around for hour or two- usually it's reasonable, considering you're getting an English speaking guide at the same time. Just make sure you're back at the airport an hour (or more if it's international) before your flight. We've done this in many places, and not necessarily from an airport.

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 02:13 PM
Diane Moll

I totally agree with Al. From the time you depart the airport until you are standing in the wonderful Grande Place is about 20 to 30 minutes, so you can enjoy about an hour of this unbelievable city. Friends accompanied us to Belgium this past May and we spent an afternoon in Brussels, and I will never forget their faces when they first entered into the Grande Place from a narrow side street. You can't really see it coming, and all of a sudden there it is - spectacular! We spend a week every May in Brugge, so if you ever get the opportunity this is my highest recommendation in Europe. Enjoy.

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 06:50 PM
andrea

Thanks so much Al, Cheryl and Diane!!!! I love travelling; what others perceived as aggravation/annoyance, I see it as an opportunity. Our travel from US to Venice as I mentioned has a 4-hour layover, it is a very reasonable airfare, I guess because of the layover which to me is an advantage. Now thanks to you all I also get to see Brussels' Grand Palace.