Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days in Rome then to Pompeii, Naples and Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Mimi

My husband and I are traveling to Rome in Feb. for 7 days<BR><BR>We can't decide whether to stay in the city the whole time because everyone says there is lots to see<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>Also try to see Pompeii, Naples and Sorrento. I want to rent a car, though some on this forum sugges the train. But I thought we could take our time, stop whenever we want, etc. <BR><BR>Are we being unrealistic about the time and the car? Did I mention I want to do some shopping as well?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:16 PM
ellen

I was in Rome for 7 days and before leaving had planned a day trip out of the city. But when I got there, I discovered that there was so much to see in Rome that I didn't want to leave (and there is still a lot that I missed). I, too, want to see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast but I'll save it for another trip - a good excuse to go back!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:48 PM
Diane

If that's what you want to do, go for it. You may want to limit it to just Pompeii and Sorrento, and save Naples for another trip. You won't need the car until its time to head out of Rome. It might be easiest to spend 3 nights in Rome, rent the car at the airport and drive to Sorrento where you'll stay for the next 3 nights. You can use your car to daytrip to Pompeii and to take a drive along the famous Amalfi coast. We enjoyed having a car in that area. In February, you won't have to worry much about traffic.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Mimi

Thanks for your replies. I guess we will wait until we get there and do one or the other depending on how we feel.<BR><BR>This is such a terrific forum!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
diana

Good evening, may I suggest to stay in Procida Island, without car driving (I don't know if you are from Nicky Lauda family) and rent a car with driver to visit Pompei and Amalfi Coast.<BR>In 35 minutes with hydrofoil is reachable from Naples center of city, a small minicruise in Naples Bay.<BR>The island is good to relax after the crowdness of the city.<BR>I've been in Hotel Celeste and they are very helpful to arrange all for your need.<BR>I'll send his web site: www.hotelceleste.it .<BR>I would like to live there forever, so believe me people can be jealous of you that I give you this advice.<BR>Do it and enjoy it, Diana

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Doug Weller

Pompeii's great, Herculaneum is fantastic. The buildings are much more complete, you can even see their charred wooden beams, walk on the mosaic floor inside a Roman bath, etc.<BR><BR>Doug

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:14 PM
Michael

We spent a week in Rome last year and took two days off to visit the Amalfi and Pompeii. Took an early train from Rome to Naples and had a car/driver pick us up and take us to Pompeii then onto Sorrento where we spent one night. The next day our car/driver picked us up and we toured the Amalfi coast for the day and were dropped off in Naples in the early evening where we took the train back to Rome. Worth the trip and not too expensive. I think the train Eurostar for four of us was less than $75 and the car/driver for two days about $350. I think this is better than driving yourself as the driver will not have much to see while driving the Amalfi as she/he will be busy trying to stay alive, especially if you go in the summer. In fact if you go to Italy in the summer I am not sure I would take this side trip as the coast will be quite crowded.