Search

4 Days in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Simi

4 Days in Paris

I have 4 Days in Paris? Do you recommend that I visit the Louvre? That would mean 3 days in Paris and the 4th in Versailles.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Chrissy

Yes!! We just returned from Paris and that was our favorite part. We spent four hours. There's definitely parts we didn't see, but we felt fulfilled and tired by the end of the half day. Just seeing the building alone is worth it.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 05:36 PM
wondering

Simi,<BR>I don't understand your question. If you visit the Louvre, that would mean three days in Paris and the fourth in Versailles?

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Christina

I think it completely depends on your interests. It sounds like you don't have any particular desire to go there, or you wouldn't ask others. If you aren't that interested in art museums and don't regularly go to them, I would say you might enjoy other activities more. The Louvre is not one of my favorite art museums, and it is really not one of my favorite ones in Paris, so it depends what else you want to do. I think other museums might be more enjoyable unless you are really interested in pre-1850 fine arts. The Louvre doesn't have many paintings past that time period.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 07:02 PM
mia

I would visit the Louvre one day and the D"Orsay the next, if time permits,and you are in the Marais,visit the Picasso, this is of course it you love museums, but the D'Orsay is so great..and there is nowhere like the Louvre, so they are must sees! You can see Versailles in half a day.~M

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Barb

With limited time in Paris, I would go to The Louvre, but with the realization that it's only possible to hit the high spots--Winged Victory, Mona Lisa and whatever else you choose by studying the website or getting recommendations--I personally loved seeing the remnants of the French Crown Jewels. If you like more modern work, especially the Impressionists, then Musee d'Orsay is fabulous--be sure to take the elevators to the top and work your way down on the escalators, rather than vice-versa. My favorite museum in Paris was the Rodin--small, and truly possible to see and enjoy everything, both inside and out in the fabulous gardens. The luncheon cafeteria served reasonably good sandwiches, certainly worth while.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 07:30 PM
cdf

Barb! you are so right, how could I forget the Rodin~it is also a favorite of mine, just sitting there in the gardens is the best! The Invalides isn't bad either, Napoleans tomb is remarkable and the others, like the Marshall Foche tomb..maybe Simi could just go to a museum a day, for 4 days? Have fun, Simi~C

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Betsy

Be aware that due to construction, various sections of the d'Orsay are closed until May 2002. The Impressionist section was closed when I was there last week--quite disappointing, but the building itself is awesome and worth seeing. Prices are reduced due to the closure.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Bob Brown

There is so much to see in Paris. After each trip, my wish list grows rather than shrink. Even though I speak little French, the place has wormed its way into my inner being and it has become something of an itch I truly need to scratch, again. <BR><BR>If you are an art lover, by all means visit the Louvre. But, let me warn you, there are miles of corridors. Go with definite objectives, see those, and then retreat. Although I knew better, I decided to browse after I saw my prime objectives. After about 2 more hours, the corridors become endless, my eyes become glassy, the galleries grew indistinct, and the paintings began to blur. That is when it is time to take the antidote, and leave entirely to plan for the next foray into that wonderful museum.<BR><BR>I heartily endorse a visit to the Rodin Museum, but try to do it on a nice day. So much of the Rodin is outside that touring the gardens in the rain is not my idea of fun, I don't care how good your umbrella is. <BR>Too bad about the Musee d'Orsay being redone. But if any of it is open, I suggest seeing it. It you can, eat in the restaurant. (Not the quickee joint, but the full service restaurant with that gorgeous ceiling.) It serves the best tiramisu I have found in Europe.<BR>(I eat that it for dessert anywhere I find it in Europe.)<BR>Above all, on a trip to Paris, you must sample some of the ambience of Parisian street scenes. Find a place where you can sit outside and enjoy the passing sights and sounds. Of course this activity is highly weather dependent, but hopefully you can find such a day and enjoy the surroundings.<BR>On one occasion, along Champs de Mars, we witnessed one of the funniest street scenes ever. Quite a few people were out and about. A young hotshot on a skate board banged into an older woman in front of us. The collision was not serious, just annoying and the result of some reckless skateboarding. <BR>The woman blasted the hotshot with a loud Gallic tirade. At the climax, she kicked the skateboard down the steps. Had the Seine been a little closer, our hotshot would have needed a swim to retrieve his board. Unfortunately, our lady was not Mia Ham, nor was the Seine that close. Too bad. A slash would have been the perfect punctuation to her oration. <BR><BR>If you go to Versailles, I recommend free lancing. Take the RER, line C to the stop known as Versailles Rive Gauche. Several guide books describe the route. That way you have time to visit the gardens, the secondary buildings well away from the main palace, and then you can pick your time to tour the main section. Hopefully, you can time it for entry after the surge of tour buses has abated. We tried to beat the mob, by getting there before the ticket booth opened. But our plan did not work. The tour group crowd caught us before we reached the Hall of Mirrors, and the place was packed. Some recommend entering the main building in the middle or late afternoon. <BR><BR>Also, put the upper floor of Ste. Chapelle high on your list. It has the most beautiful stained glass walls, some 6,000 square feet of them, that you will ever see. We attended a concert there and were mesmerized by the sight of the setting sun illuminate the glass, thus causing it to take on an ethereal glow that I only wish I could have captured on film. Then, the concert started and the Violins of France filled that resonant hall with beautiful music.<BR>Quite an experience.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Gretchen

With only 4 days I would skip Versailles. So much to do and see and experience in Paris. If you get the Michelin Green Guide they detail various wings of the Louvre--pick one and do that if you want to go. I am with Christine--not my favorite museum (but I have "seen" it admittedly). D'orsay is just so wonderful. Choose parts of Paris and explore the museums, sights, restaurants in the area--then move to another the next day. With such a short time have at least an idea of an itinerary and what you want to do. The Eyewitness Guide is a good one to visualize the various areas of the city.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:37 AM
kateconrad

I think Fodors has a section in their books for 3days 4 days etc in Paris, what the must sees are-try that also. I would do a museum in the morning, then walk! Just walking around Paris is so satisfying, and leaves you ready for the next longer trip, and then of course, the next after that! And yes - put St Chapelle on your list, as sight not to be missed.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:55 AM
christine

We skipped the Louvre and went to the Musee D"orsay instead which is smaller and more accesible....plenty of Impressionist paintings.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:56 AM
christine

Oh, I recommend the Eiffel tower at night and don't skip the boat trip up the seine..the best part.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Wendy

Simi, When are you going to Paris? I think I would skip Versailles as if it is your first time in paris you will need all four days. Go to the Louvre but as I do go on their late night. Mon and wed it is open until 9:30. If you go at 5 or 6 it will be emptying out and you will be able to see 3 times as much!! What kind of art are you interested in? If it is Impressionism than I would also make a trip to the Musee Marmotten in the Passey. This is a fantastic collection! The Rodin is also a personal favorite of mine! Other must do's IMO are Ste. Chapelle, Notre Dame, the Tuilleries, Luxembourgh, and Rue Mouffetard, a cruise on the Seine and a stop at as many Patisserie's as possible!! Bon Voyage!!