4-5 days in England with 2 teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are a family of four with twin 13yo daughters, planning a combined trip to England and Paris for this September/October (probably late Sept to early Oct).

We're all nature lovers, fit and healthy, and happy off the beaten path/away from crowds -- not much into churches, museums or big cities. Our daughters are quite different, which is one of the challenges. One is a fearless and adaptable traveler -- wants to do anything and everything, has stayed at hostels in Washington DC and loved it, figured out the Metro in no time flat, ready for anything. The other is hesitant about traveling -- happier at home on the farm or hiking through woods someplace. She does relax but it takes awhile.

Thought I'd break down the trip and work on England first ... looking gratefully for your opinions, ideas and suggestions.

We'd like to try and fly into Leeds because DH and I have promised ourselves a couple days in Herriot country, and we thought that would be an easier transition for the timid-traveler daughter than jumping right into London.

If there's a truly legendary zoo, amusement park or indoor water park someplace between Leeds and London, we may try to work it into the schedule. If not, we're hoping to do Disneyland Paris, so that may work instead.

We were *thinking* of something like this ... not sure how realistic it is, though.

Day 1
fly into Leeds, settle near Thirsk (we really prefer a country atmosphere)

Day 2
Thirsk/Dales hiking/exploring (waterfalls? scenic areas?)

Day 3 - London
Tower of London
Tower Bridge
double-decker bus ride/tour
London Eye
Changing of the guard
Houses of Parliament/Big Ben

Day 4 - London
Royal Mews (a must)
Kensington Palace/Gardens
Thames River Cruise
Westminster?

Day 5 - Stonehenge?
p.m. train to Paris

And would anyone have recommendations of a riding stable for a short (half-day or less would be fine) horseback trek? Two of us -- including the timid-traveling daughter -- are competitive riders and would love to feed our horse fix at some point. We're open to possibly splitting up in pairs on one day (horsepeople/nonhorsepeople) if necessary.

Now that I look at all this, it looks like way too much for 5 days ... your thoughts?

Thanks --

Kandace
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM

As far as the horse riding part goes, you could take a ride in Hyde Park in London (not sure when you'll fit it in) with Hyde Park Stables (www.hydeparkstables.com/) which offer hourly rides in groups. Otherwise there is the Boltby Trail Riding Centre in Thirsk which might fulfil your horse-fix requirements while you're there.

Not sure what time your train to Paris is, but you might find that trying to fit Stonehenge in that day before departure will take too much time. A bus tour down there will take the better part of a day (many include Bath and/or Windsor) and taking trains and busses yourself will also mean a train London-Salisbury taking 1hr30mins then a bus to the site taking 30mins.

And if you keep the Changing of the Guard in, note that you need to be there fairly early (around 10am) to get a front row view for the 11.30am change. And by September the change is every second day, not daily, so check their website for the schedule so you cn plan it for the corresponding day.

The Thames Cruise might depend on the weather and does take a chunk of your day, so perhaps doing the Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) bus sightseeing on the first day would be a better way to see and access sights you want. Some consider it a waste of time (traffic can cause delays) but the busses use the bus lanes whenever possible so can get through traffic much better than many years ago, so I still think it's a good way to see things for the first-time visitor. And a lot of the sights on your list are part of the routes, so you can decide if you want to "see" or "visit" each place and get off as required. That means you also don't have to subject the timid traveller to the Tube which can be a little daunting for some if you're not used to it/crowds.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM

Yes, I think you're squeezing in a lot into 4 nights in England, one partial day of which is your arrival (jet-lag) day. In fact, you're squeezing in a huge amount. Getting from Leeds/Thirsk to London will take up about 1/2 day alone.

If you have a country mouse and a city mouse, as unconventional as it might be, consider skipping London for this trip, and spending your time in England entirely in the countryside. Or skip Paris (as absolutely wonderful as it is, and IMHO I prefer it to London), and spend half your time in the English countryside and half in London. Or choose France (though you mentioned you really want to visit Herriot country), and spend half your time in the Loire Valley and half in Paris.

Without knowing your kids, rushing around so much will probably create more stress for your timid daughter. Set a slower pace, and let her slowly get used to the adventure.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Once when I stayed just outside Thirsk for a week -- I went soaring off Sutton Bank one day while my friend went pony trekking (horse riding) from a nearby farm/riding stable. I'll try to find the name/a link.

You know you are covering a lot of ground . . . How important to everyone are Stonehenge/Salisbury??

From your other thread we know you've taken quite a leap from taking a tour to doing things on your own. Good job

But that last day could London will be quite hectic/stressful. Train to Salisbury, bus to Stonehenge, bus back Salisbury, train to London . . . Then having to cross central London to get to St Pancras. Unless some of you can't bear it -- I'd drop this trek to Stonehenge.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:41 PM

That didn't take long . . . http://www.boltbytrekking.co.uk/
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:56 PM

Welcome and good for you tackling this on your own!

Some comments:

Day 1
fly into Leeds, settle near Thirsk (we really prefer a country atmosphere)

Day 2
Thirsk/Dales hiking/exploring (waterfalls? scenic areas?)

Will you be renting a car here? To see this area I think you really need one. Then how do you plan to get to London? Its probably easiest to drop the car in Leeds and take the train into London rather than attempting to drive it.

Day 3 - London
Tower of London
Tower Bridge
double-decker bus ride/tour
London Eye
Changing of the guard
Houses of Parliament/Big Ben

This day is too packed. Both the Tower and Changing of the guards are best first think in the morning (well changing of the guards it is required). Its best to head to the Tower first thing, head straight for the crown jewels and then go back to the entry to pick up the free beefeater tour. The Tower will take you about 4 hours. Tower bridge is a walkby you will see from the tower.

Some people love the hop on hop off bus tours, but I find them expensive and a waste of time. They get caught up in traffic and are costly. To save time its easy to take the tube to Westminster from the Tower to see Westminster in the afternoon.

Parliament and Big Ben are in Westminster so you can see those (and Westminster Abbey) at the same time this afternoon. Look up the Verger tour at Westminster Abbey on their website - its great and requires you to call and reserve at least a week in advance. This would be a very full day.

Day 4 - London
Royal Mews (a must)
Kensington Palace/Gardens
Thames River Cruise
Westminster?

This is fine, skip Westminster as you have seen it already. You might consider a London Walk in the afternoon or evening www.walks.com

Day 5 - Stonehenge?
p.m. train to Paris

This is not feasible unless your train is in the evening. You need to take the train to Salisbury, then a bus to Stonehenge. Seeing it with the audioguide probably takes between 30 - 60 mins then the bus back, then train back to London. Then across London to Kings Cross/St Pancras to catch your train. Doesnt sound like a fun day to me - maybe switch this with your Day 4 but to be honest unless someone REALLY wants to see Stonehenge you may be better off staying in London as there are tonnes of things to see.

I hope this helps!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Oh meant to add - Changing of the Guards could be dropped as well unless someone is truly dying to see it. You need to be in place up to hours before it starts so you waste time standing there and it will be very crowded so your view might not be great.

I think lots of people have heard of this but I really think its overrated.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 12:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you put up another link with the words Yorkshire in the title then Morgana will see it and she may bury you in good ideas.

Thirsk is a great base and within good travel to the North York Moors (miles of walking, and a steam railway) to the East and to the West Fountains Abbey, Ripon Minster (home to the Alice books carved characters) and the wonderful Lightwater Valley amusement http://www.lightwatervalley.co.uk/ which is better than "flamingo land". York itself with ancient walls, shopping and cathedral is all within reach.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 10:59 AM

bilboburgler: "<i>If you put up another link with the words Yorkshire in the title then Morgana will see it and she may bury you in good ideas.</i>"

Not to worry, Morgana did pop into the OP's other thread and gave some good info