4/27/00 Lonely Planet - Paris

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Brian in Atlanta

4/27/00 Lonely Planet - Paris

On the Travel Channel tonight at 8:00 Eastern.

Also, anyone heading to Europe soon, the Euro continues to get pounded by the good old greenback ($1 will now get you FF7.22)!

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Jeff

Is this the old LP on Paris, the one with Justine? If memory serves, she does a cooking course, goes shopping for cheap duds, etc. Or is there a new one? I really like the program, but major cities deserve additional visits, preferably alternating the hosts.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Brian in Atlanta

It's probably the old one, unfortunately. I agree that it'd be nice to see a new episode. Just thought there might be some who hadn't seen it or really needed a Paris fix.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 10:44 AM
dan woodlief

Nothing against Justine, but I would love to see Ian in Paris. I can never see his show on Mongolia too many times.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 01:53 PM
Maggie

Doe anybody know the hotel she stays at in this Lonely Planet episode? I'm like
Brian in Atlanta...I've watched it seveal times but I need the Paris "fix"...I saw it last night again...the part where she goes clothes shopping is really bad...

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 03:49 PM
Kelly

Maggie,

The hotel is the Hotel de Nesle. It is in the 6th, a couple of blocks from the Odean Metro. It was a pretty nice place, I think we payed 450FF for a double including bath last November. They don't take reservations so try and arrive early. It is in a great location, lots of good restaurants nearby.

Kelly

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Margo

The hotel is the Hotel de Nesle. It is in the 6th, a couple of blocks from the Odean Metro.

I absolutely love that hotel. Here are more details:
NESLE: 7, rue Neslé. Tel: 0143546241. Fax: 0143543188. (20 rms., 9 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 285F/43EUR single; 475-575F/72-88EUR double. No breakfast. Visa. English spoken (David & Rene), no phone, no TV, wonderful eccentric charming hotel w/uniquely furnished no-frills bright tiled flr. rms. which vary in size, old-fashioned bathroom, rooms are individually decorated in unique historical themes, lots of character & ambiance, the 9 rms. w/bathrooms are: #13 (Molière French theatre decor w/double bed, nonworking fireplace & wood-beamed ceiling), 17 (Egyptian decor); #9 (Asian decor w/2 twin beds), 5 (African decor w/canopy double bed, large bathroom & wood-beamed ceiling), 20 (Grand South decor) & 4 (Antinia decor w/Turkish bath) are the largest at 575F for a double; #16, 12 & 8 (simply furnished small rms. w/French double bed) at 475F for double; #5 & 8 share a pretty terrace which overlooks the beautiful garden, the rms. with no showers/toilets are cheaper, noisy hotel, no elevator, 5 flrs. If you are a single, they may room you up with another traveler. No advanced reservations accepted unless you send a nonreturnable deposit or call day of arrival and reserve with Visa. This charming & funky hotel w/its eccentric owners is not for everyone, but I loved everything about it including the owners. Owned by Mme. Rene but managed by David who also decorated all the rms. Métro: Odéon.