3 weeks traveling in Europe without putting on weight? Tips, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here at home I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and avoid bread and desserts. On our trip to London, Paris, and Tuscany, I know we will be walking a lot, but no gym, and I will certainly want to try the breads and desserts. Also, we will be eating out at least once a day, and restaurants have a way of sneaking fats into various dishes to make them taste better. And then there is gelato. ;-) Can anyone share tips on how to avoid putting on weight while traveling?

I'll start: one treat a day, maximum. A treat = bread, small gelato, small pastry, croissant, etc. (I know to some of you that won't sound like much of a sacrifice, but for me on vacation it represents a degree of restraint!)

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM
oldie

Eat proper meals, sitting down, at least two courses and don't "browse".
Many's the time I've sat in a restaurant and an American party will arrive halfway through my meal and they'll be gone before I get to the coffee stage, having had just one course or a pizza between two.
Take your time and eat slowly.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Hi

Like you I go to the gym, have an active job and count the carbos and fat content. So when I travel I let my hair down and have a pastry a day. Don't do it. This is where the most damage is done! Sadly (for my waistline) I also had bread for breakfast. What the heck - I put on 1 or 2 kilos but work it off when I return home.

My tip. Leave the pastries or keep them to a minimum and do lots of walking.

Cheers
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:07 AM

We spent ten days in Italy and I thought for sure I would gain tons of weight. I ate gelato at least once a day and the big Italian meals. BUT, I lost 3 pounds! We walked 27 miles in 8 days (I wore a pedometer) and we didn't plan to walk all that - it just happens. Since the Italians eat differently, we followed how they ate - longer meals talking about life, pasta is only a small part of the meal, etc. It was wonderful, I had everything, and lost weight! They have much smaller portions than we do and the food is richer so you can eat less, feel full, and feel like you weren't missing out on anything. Enjoy and MANGEA (spelling - means EAT in Italian!).
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Don't worry - and don't scrimp. You won't gain weight and will probably lose a bit even if you do eat all the rich foods evey day.

You probably will expend more energy in a day of just normal sightseeing and walking than in an hour's work out at your gym.

Go and enjoy . . . . . .
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:13 AM

In some major cities, your hotel may be able to suggest a local gym that's available for a reasonable day rate. We did this in Sorrento two years ago, and it worked out very well.

We also shared dishes when we could, and ate more at lunch than at dinner, on the theory that we'd get rid of some of the calories with long walks in the afternoon/evening.

A last suggestion is to plan dinners that involve at least a short walk ( 10-15 minutes) back and forth from your hotel.

Good luck!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never gain weight traveling in Europe and pretty much eat what I want, within reason. Since you'll be at hotels and eating out, that eliminates snacking (my downfall at home). I don't have a sweet tooth so desserts aren't tempting but I drink more than my share of wine!

Definitely take your gym sneakers with you and you can do a "powerwalk" some mornings. Or a fun thing to do is try a local health club or class. I've taken aerobics in Switzerland (french), step call in Mexico (spanish), at local places and it was a hoot. I doubt this had any effect on maintaining or losing weight but it was very fun and not your typical tourist activity.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:30 AM

and oldie-if by your lecturing comment about "Americans" rushing off you are somehow inferring (in that inimitable faux-superior-knowledge British attitude) that Americans don't know how to relax and enjoy a meal in Europe or elsewhere, then you surely have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

Tourist groups are tourist groups, it doesn't matter if they're American Russian, or even, (gosh, could it even be?-British) they have a finite period to get from one point to another, so they in fact WILL be stopping for a short period of time to eat. So to take that fact and apply it to your broad-brush generalization of Americans in Europe, is risible in the extreme, but, also, alas typical.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:30 AM

that would be... step class (sorry haven't had my coffee yet).
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:32 AM

I say eat what you want & enjoy your trip! When I am home I workout 4 days a week and eat mostly protein, veggies & fruit. When I'm on my once a year European vacation, all bets are off. In Italy I'll eat a chocolate cornetta for breakfast, pasta for lunch, at least one gelato a day, etc. I walk so much that I hardly ever gain weight while I'm away. I'm a food lover and work hard all year for the trip, I will not restrain myself!!!!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM

To me, if I have to spend a little extra time after my vacation burning off any small vacation weight gain, it's worth it to me to be able to enjoy my vacation without worrying about counting calories, carbs, etc...

But with all the walking, I've never actually gained weight overseas.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

So far everyone agrees that walking is the key. Re eating treats, opinions are divided -- maybe according to individual metabolism? I am part of the group who can gain weight merely by walking past a delectable Parisian pastry shop...

Forgot to mention that my downfall is cheese. Since DH and I were poor students together, we have had our bread and cheese lunches in parks all over Europe. Most of the good cheeses, as you know, are 80 percent fat. I think I will do ok on this trip if I just avoid it altogether.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:07 AM

A big part of the experiene of Italy is the food. It is silly to waste the time worrying or worse the experience in another country when yoiu will just loose the weight when you return! For the record I have been to Italy 9 times, I eat like crazy and have lost weight evry time!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I was on a bus tour for 2 1/2 weeks. Our breakfasts and diners were included in the tour so I had little choice in what I ate. I ate lots of fruit for breakfast with yogurt and meusli (which I swear was soaked overnight in cream!) I usually took an extra piece of fruit and a bun which I ate with Nutella for lunch and then whatever dinner they gave us. I shared a passion for chocolate with the tour guide so we often sneaked some of that together. And LOTS of water.

I came home 15 pounds lighter. Go figure!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:11 AM

With all the walking, I've never put on wieght while on vacation. I never miss the opportunity to take the stairs, climb to the top of towers for the views. That takes care of the lower body. For upper body, why not just do some push-ups each morning before you get started. This will also remind you to stretch out before your day of aerobic walking.
Have a pastry or two, you deserve it.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Trying out a local gym is a good idea, even if just for the cultural experience. My daughter joined a gym in Salamanca when she was doing study abroad there, she loved it.

Of course you will be walking so much that a gym really isn't necessary.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM

I want to reiterate the idea of looking into doing your normal exercise routine in a foreign country. It is a wonderful way to have that 'live like a local' experience we're always talking about. Whatever you study- yoga, dance, aerobics, weight lifting- find a studio or a gym, take some classes; or if you are a runner- take your shoes, shorts and hit the streets early morning.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM

If you're in a "maintenance" mode with regard to your weight and you've been doing this awhile, I wouldn't worry about gaining weight. You will likely be doing lots of walking. I probably average at least 5 miles a day on trips, but it doesn't seem like it.
I would go for 1-2 "treats" per day.
BTW, in Europe, you will notice that pastries, torts, cakes etc don't taste as sugary as the stuff in the USA. But they are full of flavor, to be sure.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM

It's unanimous. The walking will be plenty of exercise. (And I work out 6 days a week.) This is more true in the cities, not quite so true on a driving tour. But almost all tourist destinations in Europe require some walking.

Secondly, what we do is have a big, restful lunch and a light or no dinner. It Italy, dinner is gelato. Worked pretty well in Paris also. Save a lot of money this way too. But occasionally we save up appetite for a dinner in a nice restaurant.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Allowing yourself the pleasure of local food is part of the experience. You won't be able to fully enjoy your vacation if you are too busy counting calories. It is possible to eat well and in moderation (portions are usually smaller in Europe than here in the U.S.). Walk everywhere, have your gelato and enjoy. You might even find that you lose some weight. Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -