3 weeks in Oxford- what to do?

Jan 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

3 weeks in Oxford- what to do?

I'm 19 and I am studying abroad in England this summer for 3 weeks. I will be staying in Oxford. I have class until 1:00 Mon-Thurs, and the rest of the day is free. What should I do in Oxford for the rest of the day?
During the weekend, we will be taking excursions to Stonehenge, Salisbury, the Isle of Wight, and London through the study abroad program. I have another question posted about other day trips to take from Oxford (after 1:00) and any other suggestions about that would also be appreciated!
Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM

What was suggested on your other thread - plus just explore Oxford. Once you get there you will see that the central part of Oxford where most of the colleges are is very compact and you will find things of interest around every street corner.

Which college are you attending and where are you staying?
Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

ok, thanks!
I'm staying at St. Hilda's College, but I will be taking classes with a professor from my university.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM

St Hilda's is just across Magdalen Bridge from the High street and across the river from the Botanic Gardens

(some summer schools are held at outlying 'lesser' schools - yours is close in to central Oxford, other colleges and the major sites. You will have a great time)
Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM

Hi there! I did this as a college student myself--6 weeks at Brasenose College. You will have a blast. There is so much to soak in...

First off, explore Oxford itself: find your favorite pubs, go punting on the Isis, lose yourself in Blackwell's bookstore. I don't remember where St. Hilda's is, but Brasenose was very near the Oxford Covered Market, which was a great place to get a cheap lunch. There are all kinds of walks--our first one we did was a jaunt out to the Trout. Take a walking tour. Go to a dance club. We loved to go to the Mongolian barbecue place by the bus depot (or was it the train?) because on certain nights they had karaoke. Your friends and you will find your hangouts. The pub we frequented (The Turf) held a party for us when we left complete with American flags. I am a big C.S. Lewis fan and found out where his house was. I walked out to it (should have taken the bus but didn't know any better) and the nature preserve next to it where he and J.R.R. Tolkein would walk sometimes. They had a favorite pub as well--The Eagle and Child.

As for day trips, there is a 24-hour bus from Oxford to London. It's great because you can catch the bus into London, see a show or the sights, get back on the bus, and sleep in your own bed, thereby avoiding the pricy London hotel rooms.

I am returning to the UK this summer with my kids, and I can't wait to show them all the sights from those days! You will love it.