3 Weeks in Germany for our 30th Anniversary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I plan to travel to Germany for 3 weeks in June to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We will begin our trip staying with our former exchange student in the Cologne/Dusseldorf area for a couple days and then head to her Father's in Koblenz for a few days. We both love history. What would you recommend as "must see" locations. We are planning to rent a car and want to see the true Germany - not just the touristy parts. We would like to go to Salzburg and maybe some of Switzerland - not sure about trying to squeeze in Italy and/or France in that short time. All recommendations are welcome and appreciated.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 02:50 PM

Koblenz is at the intersection of the Rhine and the Moselle Rivers. There are a lot of pretty towns and castles up and down both rivers. The Moselle is a little less busy with river traffic and more calm in in parts. Depending on your interests, you could spend a lot of time in the region.

I had only a short time - spent a night in Cochem on the Moselle (super nice town but larger than average and a bit touristy). There are smaller towns that you might enjoy more if you like tiny towns and have a car. I also hiked from the town of Moselkern (tiny compared to Cochem) up to the Burg Eltz castle, a really pretty and striking castle though the inside (tour required) was a tad disappointing.

If you are interested in World War II history, if you get down the Moselle to the old Roman town of Trier, you are close to Luxembourg and a museum in Diekirch dedicated to the Battle of the Bulge. The town of Vianden just on the boarder with Germany is also quite pretty. If you make it to Luxembourg City (not highly recommended for a stay), you can visit the nearby US military cemetery in Hamm where Gen. Patton and many fallen soldiers from the Battle of the Bulge are buried.

You could easily fill three weeks in Germany and a side trip to Switzerland without getting close to Italy, depending on your interests.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Andrew makes some great suggestions. I know "it" is all so tempting--so much of Europe seemingly so close! But you really could spend all 3 weeks in Germany. Trier is my favorite city and we paired it with the WWII areas/sites Andrew mentioned--all great. The Rhine and the Moselle are wonderful to explore for a few days each (I had same reaction to Berg Eltz--a definite "try to see" but the outside better than inside, but we drove up part way.)

Koln and Koblenz are great.

Some other favorite places are Heidelberg, Worms, and Mainz--Bamberg, Wurzberg, Frieberg, Triberg (I may have some i's and e's and e's and u's mixed up!). Budingen is a gem. And don't ignore Frankfurt both as a destination and/or a hub for easy train travel.

You might look at something like a week in and around Koln and Koblenz and the Moselle, a week around Frankfurt, and a week in another area--Black Forest or Bavaria or down the Romantic Road. There's also Munich (and Dachau nearby).

Get map, make some possible plans/loops/itineraries and see what you think. Are you flying in and out of same city? need a loop then, of course.

If you click on my screen name, and look at my trip reports, there are 2 from my over 4 weeks in 2 trips to Germany, staying in the Frankfurt area and taking LOTS of day trips by train solo and some car trips with hubby, day trips and weekend.

Having a car is great but trains are option, too--especially as a day-trip alternative from a base or two. While the roads, autobahn down to small lanes, are generally great, they are busy and you might really consider limiting your selves to a few bases and not move around every day or two.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 04:06 PM

I spent three nights in Freiburg (to use it as a base to explore the area) and can't enthusiastically recommend it. It's a comfortable place and a convenient base (at least without a car it was), but it wasn't one of my more memorable stops in Europe. Just didn't excite me.

If you do head down that way to the Black Forest, though, don't miss a stop in the small town of Staufen, a pretty town with a carefully preserved/restored town center. It's not touristy - it's a real functioning town. With a car you might find it a fun place to spend a night, though I spent only a few hours as a day trip.

And if you are near Staufen, I recommend a hop over to Alsace, France nearby. I spent a night in Colmar and loved it.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 04:30 PM

From Koblenz you could take a cruise on the Rhine down to Strasbourg. It's a beautiful city with French influence. Continue down the Rhine to Basel Switzerland.

There is so much to see and do in that area that 3 weeks is not enough time for Italy too. Travel time will wear you down.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 03:52 AM

Koblenz is also near where the Lahn River enters the Rhine. Several interesting places along it off the American tourist route.