Reload this Page >

3 weeks in France

Search

3 weeks in France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:21 PM
MORT

3 weeks in France

I WOULD LIKE TO TRAVEL THROUGHOUT FRANCE IN SEPTEMBER 2001. I HAVE NEVER BEEN. LOOKING FOR 4STAR ACCOMMODATIONS. MORE IMPORTANTLY, NEED HELP WITH PLANNING AN ITINERY. APPRECIATE ANY RECCOMMENTATIONS.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:06 AM
gloria

We spent three weeks in France jsut a couple of years ago. What are your interests? We can probably pass on quite a bit of info, I am notorious for collecting literature before we go! Are you renting a car or traveling by train? <BR>Let us know, we would be happy to help.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Greg

I agree with Gloria, tell us a bit about what interests you and we can be more helpful. Are you interested in landscapes, views etc, or Museums? Gastronomy? History? Do you want to cover a lot of territory and at least see key sites, or would you rather move around less and get closer to a particular area? <BR>Greg

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Randall Smith

Bonjour Mort, <BR> <BR>My wife and I have done everything from B&Bs using Karen Browns Book, roughing it and finding a room on the wing by going to the Tourist office, we've also rented apartments and homes. <BR> <BR>One time when we really felt in the mood to splurge we stayed in Relais & Chateaux establishments in several areas of France. Luckily we had a week with friends so we didn't go broke. <BR> <BR>You can look at what they have to offer at:http://www.relaischateaux.fr/ <BR>They can be quite expensive. We stayed in the cheaper ones which run arround $200.00/night. You might do better now with the dollar being stronger. You can search the areas that you are interested in geographically. <BR> <BR>The down side besides the price, is that they are TOO expensive for the French, you'll see lots of British, Germans, Dutch, and some Americans. You will see some French, they will be serving you in the restaurant. <BR> <BR>It was fun but I definitely go to France to spend time with the people so I generally wouldn't recommend Ralais et Chateaux for that reason. <BR> <BR>Check it out, you may want to spend some time in one of their accommodations and feel like a king. <BR> <BR>I guess I would like to know if others feel the same way as I do. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, you should do it at least once in your life to experience French luxury in " la France Profonde" <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR> <BR>Randall Smith <BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:22 PM
mort

Thanks everyone for the feed back. My wife and enjoy the cultural(musemums and points of interest), good food, and beautiful countrysides. We would like to travel mostly by train, however not opposed to renting a car. Wife does not like traveling on europen freeways. <BR>Probably would highlight 3 major areas with side visits from them. Please e-mail or post me with info. <BR>thanks again, Mort

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:29 AM
elvira

Paris for 5 days; train to Bayeux, then M. Bacon's guided tour of the D-Day beaches, one morning to visit tapestry, rent a car and drive to Mont St Michel and stay overnight. Drive to Loire Valley for 5 days; take train from the Loire Valley (probably Angers) to Libourne, pick up a car, drive through Dordogne Valley. Fly home from Bordeaux, or take the TGV train back to Paris. <BR>Lots of museums, history, caves, castles, fortified towns, churches - and the scenery is astounding. Fantastic wines, incredible food, and you can take good roads, but avoid the autoroutes.