Afro Man wants travel to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am a single guy - have resided in Toronto for the past 26 years, but have never travelled to any European country and would like to plan a trip. I am thinking a few weeks at a bed and breakfast where I can travel by bus or train to a few cities or countries in Europe. Any Recommendations? - considering (culture, the people, sites, food, festivals, diversity, easy access to transportation to other countries and cities). Which country and city would you recommend to start my experience? thanks for your thoughts.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 02:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Which country and city would you recommend to start my experience? thanks for your thoughts.<<

You have sooooooo many options -- get a guide book or two and start narrowing down those options.

(Wondering - do you think your ethnicity would make a difference?)
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 02:30 PM

I think you need to be more specific about your interests. And possibly more specific about what time of year your want to do this. Because I think any city would fit your very general criteria as of now, and surely you must have some kind of interest in certain cultures or places over others?
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 03:49 PM

Do you have an interest in any particular iconic sights like the Eiffel Tower or the Colloseum, great cathedrals, or ancient history in Rome or architecture of Greece, or archeological sites like Pompeii, or regions like Provence for food, wine, walled cities, or Southern Spain with the history of Moorish influence? Any particular era of Art? Any unique cities you have pictured seeing? Perhaps, you want to hike or play golf or visit the Alps.
Really, there is so much. You will have to do more research for yourself to determine what is right for you.

Do you have any festivals in mind? There are many different ones, from political Fast Nacht in Basel in dead of winter, to historic re-enactments in Aigues Mortes in Summer, to drinking parties of Octoberfest. Many, many choices.

When would you like to go? Winter has short days for outdoor sightseeing, and too cold for cafe sitting, but good for winter sports. Spring and Fall are often good for general travel. Depends on your interests.

With a few weeks, you should probably plan on moving around a bit, a few days in each city or place.

Your color or ethnicity will not matter.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 04:31 PM

It sounds like you think you can see everything from one central spot and that is NOT possible. You can certainly spend a few days in each place seeing that town and a couple of others that are within an hour or two by train. But will then ned to move on to see a new area - either a different country or a different area of the same country.

You need to decide:

How may weeks you have for this trip

What time of year you will go

What your major interests are (big cities, small towns, countryside) and what types of sights/activities

Also the Canadian $ is very low at the moment so you need to consider that in your budgeting.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Janis- my ethnicity insnt a factor at all.

I am thinking Berlin Germany, Switzerland, or the French city Nice, Krakov Poland. I heard Edinburgh Scotland is wonderful. I am particularly interested in civil history, structures, architecture,and experiencing how people outside of North America live -with respect to social/ political views and tolerances.

I appreciate your responses.

Des.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 02:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Desidee - I think we need to know how long you have for this trip, and what time of year.

Also, you need to be realistic about how much you can learn about the social and political views of the inhabitants of those countries as a tourist. History, art and architecture are relatively simple to learn about and experience, especially if you do some reading before you go, but IMO and IME, the others are rather more difficult, especially on a first visit.

If you want to see places as diverse as Berlin, Switzerland [where, exactly, and why?] Nice [why Nice and not Paris?] Krakov and Edinburgh, it would make sense to fly into one of them and out of another [a multi-city flight, rather than a round trip] and look carefully at your route so that you don't find yourself dotting around Europe like a mad thing.

That said, it may be easier to do a trip like this by plane rather than train so getting the best routes and fares may require a bit of dotting about rather than doing them in a logical order.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 04:29 AM

How long will you spend for your trip? What is your specific interest (must-see destinations, outdoor activities, etc.)? What is your budget? ...
If you like architecture, Italy or France could make you happy. Edinburgh is a good choice for admiring the its beautiful landscape and rich history.

Europe is too large and has so many many interesting places to discover. Tell us more specific informations about your interest and your plan, may be we can help you find a suitable itinerary for your first trip to Europe.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 05:27 AM

Europe is huge and there is an incredible density of attractive places, so you have to select.

Contrary to the post above, you find great architecture everywhere in Europe, however different styles in Romance Europe (France, Italy, Spain), Germanic Europe (Germany, East Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden), Anglo-Saxon Europe (British Isles), Slavic Europe (Poland, Russia etc.), Moorish Europe (Andalusia).

If you have a few weeks (two? three?), it might be a good idea to see at least two of these different regions of Europe, two or three large cities (like Berlin, Paris, London, Rome..), two or three small or medium-sized towns and a bit of countryside.

Your list of interesting places looks a bit arbitrary and is not optimized regarding distances and travel times:

Berlin is a vibrant city, full of history and architecture, certainly a number-one-destination among the metropolises in Europe

In Switzerland you have the Alps and several cozy, medium-sized towns with historical charm (however, Switzerland has become extremely expensive)

Nice as a city is maybe in the B-league (if compared with Paris), but the surrounding region, the Côte d'Azur has much to offer: beautiful climate, dramatic scenery, modern art and more

Krakov IS a medium-sized beautiful historical city, but geographically it is a kind of outlier. You will find other historical towns which may fit better into your itinerary.

Edinburgh is also a charming city, but I would not rank it within the A-league of cities of Great Britain and it is also an outlier. If you want to go to Britain, London and nearby cities like Oxford or Bath would be preferably IMO.

After all, I am afraid you will have to narrow down the range of European regions you want to visit. And if you tell us how many days you will finally have, we can suggest itineraries.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Your responses have been helpful, I am thinking two weeks with Berlin as my base. I would like to visit at least nearby cities and at least two bordering countries. My budget is $5000.00 cdn.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 07:20 AM

Praha CZ is neighboring. In between you have Dresden.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 09:37 AM

>>Janis- my ethnicity insnt a factor at all. <<

I didn't think so but you did put it in your title so I asked thinking you might have concerns.

>> I am thinking two weeks with Berlin as my base.<<

Berlin is a terrific city -- but it is not a 'base' for visiting other places. Instead of a base/spoke and wheel type trip and with two weeks -- I'd pick the 3 or at most 4 cities you really want to visit and do them.

Just hypothetically using four cities you mentioned -- Berlin, Krakow, Nice and Edinburgh would be doable in 2 weeks and you would fly between them (or perhaps a night train from Berlin and Krakow) . But just about any trio / quad of cities would be doable in 2 weeks.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 10:10 AM

Berlin - a good choice. Wait until tomorrow, I will provide you with further suggestions (now I will have dinner with my family).
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I am getting closer to a decision, starting at Berlin to Krakov, nice or Paris, Edinburgh, and from there back to Toronto. Your information has been very helpful. I would fly to Berlin, is it doable to travel by train to the other places and still have time to see the. Cities?

Des
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 11:41 AM

No matter how you travel, getting from one place to the next will take up at least half a day, and in some cases, most of a day. So the more places you visit, the more transit time will eat into your sightseeing time. And if your two weeks includes your travel time to/from Toronto, you will have less time to see/do/experience.

I always find it helpful to count how many nights I have on the ground. If you have 14 nights on the ground in Europe, you will have 13 days to play with. And you have to subtract our a day each time you change locations. So, for instance, if you want 4 full days in Berlin, you need to spend 5 nights there. Frankly, with two weeks and places at some distance from each other, I'd choose three places to base in.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 11:57 AM

>>I would fly to Berlin, is it doable to travel by train to the other places and still have time to see the. Cities? <<

Only an overnight sleeper train to Krakow. All the other cities you mention would require flying. Berlin to Paris for instance is a 10+ hour train ride.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

I've been looking at flights between countries in Europe and surprisingly it's relatively inexpensive. My itinerary is coming together nicely. Thank you all.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 02:21 PM

>> I've been looking at flights between countries in Europe and surprisingly it's relatively inexpensive. <<

Absolutely right, but you have to book well in advance. Air fares increase rapidly when the cheap tickets have been booked by the early birds. The last-minute business travellers get the expensive tickets.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 02:23 PM

I'd like to encourage you to stop for a moment and consider a few things. Just because it is possible to fly to Berlin, Krakow, Nice, and Edinburgh, and be back in Toronto two weeks after your departure, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It is more like a hectic business trip than a vacation.

Doing this involves four languages, four cultures, four ways of doing things, and three currencies - allowing for a max. of three days in each place, this is bound to leave a very muddled set of memories.

Going to Europe doesn't cost much these days if you play your cards right. You are lucky to have WestJet that flies you from Toronto to Glasgow or London. Norwegian and WOW and Iceland Air all do very inexpensive flights across the pond, so going over to Europe again and again is not hard.

I suggest doing just Berlin and Krakow on this trip. Two languages, two currencies, two cultures - plenty to get to know and manage. Fly to Berlin, fly home from Krakow.

We don't know much about your targeted activities - indoor, historic, art, live music, nightlife, clubbing, or ??? Berlin can keep you happy with all the above for a week, and if you google "Daytrips from Berlin" you get many suggestions.

Krakow itself doesn't have very much to offer except that it satisfies the eye with a pretty small historic center (plenty of pix online for you to see), but don't forget the nearby salt mines (www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/ - I was just there - awesome, indescribable, imagine a huge ballroom where everything looks like marble but is made of salt - floor, walls, sculptures, everything!). Just buy a very cheap train ticket in Krakow, no need to take a "tour" that everybody wants to sell you...

Near Krakow is also one of the many concentration camps, Auschwitz, for which you probably want to join a group to get there and to get in.

That would take care of three days in Krakow, plus getting there.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 04:53 PM

Listen to Michelhuebel.i

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -