Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 Weekends Trip (Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice)

Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

I will be staying in Nice, France from March to May. I would like to go to Florence, Cinque Terre, and Venice on three different weekends. Basically going on Friday afternoon, and back again on Sunday afternoon.

I only have 3 weekends dates below. I'm hoping that there won't be raining (or at least, small chance of raining) for these periods and places. The order that I'm considering is:
Florence: 13-15 April 2011
Cinque Terre: 6-8 May 2011
Venice: 20-22 May 2011

As April might have more chance rain (correct me if I'm wrong here, please), I put the Cinque Terre on May, instead of April. This is because I will try the famous hike on Cinque Terre.

Also, I heard that in Venice, sometimes there is flash flood, so I put it on the end of May.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advices on those dates for those places? Is that okay, or should the order be reshuffled?

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Sounds like a fine plan. I would maybe flip the Cinque Terre and Venice. We were in Venice last year the first weekend in May and it was lovely. We were there in 2003 for the same weekend and it was great. I dont think (someone correct me!) you need to worry about flash floods so much in May - I think you mean the aqua alta which is I believe more a winter thing - again someone can correct me.

The reason I would put Cinque Terre later in May is because if it rains alot in April and spring the paths may be closed. We were there at the end of May last year and the three weeks prior most of the main trails were closed due to weather conditions caused by rain. The one between Vernazza and Monterosso was still closed the last week of May when we were there.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi jamikins. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Sorry, I meant that aqua alta like you mentioned.

Okay, maybe I will push the Cinque Terre to the third order to end of May to minimize the chance of raining.

Any comments for the Florence dates? Which one is better in April: Florence or Venice? As well as the other way around, better in May: Florence or Venice?

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:54 AM

I've only been to Florence in Sept but I imagine it would be fine in April. Someone else may have better info...

Have fun!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 07:01 AM

I would let wetaher conditions that weekend dictate.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I want to decide before leaving, so that I can buy the ticket in advance (particularly for Venice). And also I want to book the hostel in advance as well, as that period are near to the peak season.

So, any suggestions with this are really appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 05:32 AM

Did this last May by trains might try to combine

one or more destinations so you will have less training

www.hostel5terre.com Manarola

Instituto Gould in Florence

www.santafosca.com cheapest decent hostel in Venice

you will have a day or so of training each way from Nice

so be sure and factor that in on your weekends

will give you very little time there really.

Might consider a different more workable plan.

Do careful research for better cheaper experience.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 06:13 AM

I think I would switch CT and Venice. Cinque Terre is the only place where good weather is vital especially since you plan to hike. The later you can travel there, the better the chance of good weather. Your plan looks good and you are going at a lovely time of the year.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

qwovadis, thanks for the accommodation suggestion. I already actually planned on staying at hostel5terre in Manarola, same as what you suggested. The reception opens till late, so the train schedule which will be arriving at night is still fine.

For Florence, I haven't really looked at hostel options, but have checked the Academy Hostel and the Plus Florence. I will check the Instituto Gould that you suggested.

For Venice, I checked the Venice Fish, as it looks close to the train station. I will be arriving at around 10pm, and that hostel has the reception until 12am. The Santa Fosca that you suggested only opens until 8pm during the period I will be going, so that might not be an option.

I have looked at the train schedules, and it takes about 8 hours each. I only have the weekends, so I can't combine more cities. I guess I'm fine with just having the 1 and 1/2 day of usable time at those places.

mamcalice, thanks for the advise. I will switch it then to maximize the chance of not raining in CT. But what happens if it's raining in Florence and Venice during my trip, any advice of how to still enjoy the city? I would really love walking around the city though.