3 nights/4 days in Ireland

Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:29 PM
Jenn

3 nights/4 days in Ireland

Hi, I'm planning a short trip to Ireland 3/1 - 3/5. Very short, I know, and for that reason I'm looking for some advice on how to get the most out of my trip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:31 PM
Danna

Jenn
Where are you flying, or arriving, into or out of in those days? It'll help with advise. I'll help if I can.
Have Fun!

Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:35 PM
Jenn

I'm flying into Dublin. Thanks in advance for the help!

Mar 4th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Linda

Planning same short trip-need same advice. Thanks.
Going March 26-29th....Staying in Dublin

Mar 6th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Cathy

Jenn,
In Dublin first of all try the Hop On and Hop Off tour Bus. Explore the usual haunts eg Guinness Brewery, Jamerson Whiskey Corner, Dublin Castle, Kilmainham Jail, National Museum in both Kildare Street and Collins Barracks, National Art Galley, Trinty College & the Book of Kells (of course).

You might be interested in taking a day trip to the ancient passage graves of Newgrange or up the mountains of Wicklow to the monastery at Glendalough. Check out www.cie.ie and see the link to either Bus Eireann or CIE tours. Jenn I won't advise that you plan to do this out of Dublin trips as due to the Foot and Mouth outbreak all national momunent sites are closed to prevent the spread of F&M into Ireland (there are no cases in Ireland at present and we want to keep it that way). Alternative to out of Dublin trips are trips by DART (City metro/train) to Killiney or Howth (southside and northside seaside areas), check out Blackrock Market on Saturdays.

See www.ireland.travel.ie for further hints etc from the Irish Tourist Board - hope this helps

Cathy

Mar 6th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Ess

Another option is to get off in Shannon, pick up a rental car, and drive to Dublin over a couple of days. Spend a little time in Dublin and fly home from there. I've done that with a couple of other people and we had a great time.

Mar 6th, 2001, 04:37 PM
edie

just returned from ireland, we started in dublin before traveling around.
personally, i would spend three of your days in the city, and take one day to make a town trip using the DART or a bus tour. i could have easily spent a four day trip solely in Dublin, but i am a city person, plus it reminded me of Boston, a city i dearly love.
in dublin:
we stayed at Trinity Lodge, a stones throw from Trinity college, a quick walk to Grafton STreet and a bit longer walk to temple bar. i really recommend it. it s great location will make sure you get the most out of your time. also, we shopped at the Blarney Woollen Mills on Nassau street, right around the corner. i found they had good prices. you can get the specific info on irelandexpert.com i would try to arrange an early check in b/c the new york flight gets in REALLY early and it's a relatively short flight, so you might not get enough chance to sleep and will be tired.don't knowif you're coming from NY but all the flights get in early, so the ability to catch a 2-3 hour snooze that morning sets you up to make the most of the rest of your day. we didn't do this and ended up dragging around early in the am, and then sleeping most of the day.
the day you do the hop on-hop off bus is the day you should tour Guiness, if you are planning on doing that. it's a bit farther out than the other sites and this tactic will save you a long walk or a taxi.
we did Christchurch, the Viking adventure and the tour of Dublin Castle all in about 3 hours. its a good combination of things to do, deals with similar times in history, these sites seem to go together well, i think.

you can plan on the book of kells taking MAX 2 hours, that's if you read all the information. if not, it can be done quicker.
that's about all the sightseeing we got done in 2 days, b/c as i said, we slept most of one and then were hungover the next! oh well, leaves a reason to go back

Food: two good meals we had in temple bar were at The Shack and La Med.

Mar 9th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Anthony

If you dont know how you're getting there you can use http://www.foraticket.com/europetravel.htm - can do all fares to Ireland.

Have fun!