Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 night pre-cruise stay in Leiden or Amsterdam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two active seniors taking our first river cruise in April 2023, going from Amsterdam to Basel. We love photography and aren't serious museum goers, although we do want to see Anne Frank's house.

We plan to take a few extra days to see the sites in Amsterdam, Keukenhof Gardens and Kinderdijik. We intend to use public transportation to get around.

We originally thought Leiden might be a good home base as it looks to be centrally located for what we want to see....but now I'm seeing on my Rome to Rio app that it will take an hour to get to Amsterdam, an hour to get to Keukenhof and 90 min to get to Kinderdijik. Are we crazy to consider Leiden? Should we look for something closer to Keukenhof? If so, what do you suggest? I don't want to spend too much time on a train or bus.

Of course, we welcome any tips, hotel suggestions or other "must-see" sites.

Thank you Fodorites!
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 01:17 PM

We stayed in Haarlem and loved the feel of the town. There is an express bus that will take you to Keukenhof and the train to Amsterdam is quick.

https://tulipfestivalamsterdam.com/k...arlem-station/

Old Aug 28th, 2022, 03:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Three nights give you two full days. Stay in Amsterdam. You can spend a day exploring Amsterdam, Jordaan, a canal cruise.
Day two Keukenhof, The Hague and Delft. Or switch these around.
On our second visit to The Netherlands we spent a week in Leiden which we loved. A highlight was going to Rotterdam to visit Kinderdijk, a favorite site of ours with 19 windmills in their original locations. You need more time to do all you want. Doesn’t your river cruise take you to Kinderdijk? We saw several of them there.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Aug 28th, 2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Our cruise goes from Amsterdam to Basel, so not stopping at Kinderdijk. Keukenhof is a definite stop. Could we do Kinderdijk after Keukenhof?

Where would you suggest we stay that is close to Keukenhof and close to a train station?
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 09:32 PM

If you only have 3 nights/2 days, only do one day trip; either Keukenhof or Kinderdijk. You cannot do both in one day. Public transport between the 2 takes at least 2 hours. Staying near Keukenhof doesn't make sense if you also want to spend time in Amsterdam.
Haarlem is a good option if you want to stay in a smaller place.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kinderdijk is a tiny place though, still if you like taking ferries it's good
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Paqngo— Any hotel suggestions in Haarlem?

Old Aug 30th, 2022, 05:30 AM

marlene- We stayed at an Airbnb along one of the canals. I do like to use Booking.com for hotels and there seems to be some really nice ones. There also are some nice Bnb’s on the site. We really loved the town and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Old Sep 1st, 2022, 11:52 AM

Leiden - Amsterdam is 25 minutes if you go via Schiphol to Amsterdam Zuid and take Metro 52 into town. Very convenient!
For Kinderdijk, combine it with a visit to Rotterdam and take the Waterbus to Ridderkerk/De Schans and change to the tiny ferry to Kinderdijk. A vacation in its own right.

Leiden is lovely. Much better and quieter than Amsterdam. My Alma Mater is there, so I'm partial.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by marlene_
Our cruise goes from Amsterdam to Basel, so not stopping at Kinderdijk. Keukenhof is a definite stop. Could we do Kinderdijk after Keukenhof?

Where would you suggest we stay that is close to Keukenhof and close to a train station?
Leiden.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Well, we did a 180 and decided on staying in Haarlem for 4 nights! We made reservations at the Hotel ML.

Our rough itinerary:
Arrival date: Keukenhof + canal ride
Day 2: Anne Frank House + Rijksmuseum (As they will have Vermeer exhibit)
Day 3: Kinderdijk or Zaanse Schans???
Day 4: undecided…open to suggestions

Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 05:06 AM

Take your last day and stay in Haarlem. Here are some things you could do https://www.planetware.com/tourist-a...-nl-nh-har.htm
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 06:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Day 3: No, no, no to Zaanse Schans! Old buildings were moved there. We were sorry we bothered going there.
Day 3: On the other hand, we loved our time at Kinderdijk! There are 19 windmills in their original locations, one after the other. Walking/ biking paths go by them. You also have the option of seeing them from the adjacent canal by boat. We took a train to Rotterdam and switched to a river boat to Kinderdijk.
In Amsterdam we visited the Dutch Resistance (WWII) Museum, but check to see if it has reopened. Also the Tulip Museum. We loved walking around the various neighborhoods such as Jordaan.It is one of our favorite cities to visit.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Sep 2nd, 2022 at 06:24 AM.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 07:53 AM

Make sure you book the Anne Frankhuis ASAP. Put a note in your phone to remind of the day tickets go on sale for your planned visit.
Same with the van Gogh museum if you plan on going there.
April is peak tourist time because of the tulips and tickets sell out fast.
I agree spend your last day in Haarlem, or move it all up a day and relax in Haarlem on day one to get over jetlag.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 08:04 AM

Well, we did a 180 and decided on staying in Haarlem for 4 nights! We made reservations at the Hotel ML.

Our rough itinerary:
Arrival date: Keukenhof + canal ride
Day 2: Anne Frank House + Rijksmuseum (As they will have Vermeer exhibit)
Day 3: Kinderdijk or Zaanse Schans???
Day 4: undecided…open to suggestions
The Corrie Ten Boom house in Haarlem is a nice bookend with Anne Frank.

As mentioned, book your timed entrance for Anne Frank on the day (if not hour) tickets come available. Booking the ticket that included a short intro course is worth it.
I loved the Resistance Museum.
Put your phone and map/guide down while walking Amsterdam. You WILL get clipped by a bicycle if you step into the bike lanes.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 10:08 AM

And run down by a tram if you aren't careful crossing the road .
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Day 3: No, no, no to Zaanse Schans! Old buildings were moved there. We were sorry we bothered going there.
Day 3: On the other hand, we loved our time at Kinderdijk! There are 19 windmills in their original locations, one after the other. Walking/ biking paths go by them. You also have the option of seeing them from the adjacent canal by boat. We took a train to Rotterdam and switched to a river boat to Kinderdijk.
In Amsterdam we visited the Dutch Resistance (WWII) Museum, but check to see if it has reopened. Also the Tulip Museum. We loved walking around the various neighborhoods such as Jordaan.It is one of our favorite cities to visit.

HappyTrvlr....I have been torn with posts saying Zaanse Schans is just as nice as Kinderdijk...in my heart, though, Kinderdijk wins out.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr....I have been torn with posts saying Zaanse Schans is just as nice as Kinderdijk...in my heart, though, Kinderdijk wins out.
Our plan is to see Kerkenhof Gardens the day of arrival. Our plane is scheduled to arrive at 7am after am 8 hr flight.

I am reading that there are baggage lockers outside the Keukenhof Gardens entrance. As our hotel is in Haarlem, can we take a bus from the airport to Keukenhof with our carry-ons and backpacks or will we have to store the baggage at the airport, see the Gardens, go back to the airport and then finally to Haarlem?
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 01:13 AM

Our plan is to see Kerkenhof Gardens the day of arrival. Our plane is scheduled to arrive at 7am after am 8 hr flight.

I am reading that there are baggage lockers outside the Keukenhof Gardens entrance. As our hotel is in Haarlem, can we take a bus from the airport to Keukenhof with our carry-ons and backpacks or will we have to store the baggage at the airport, see the Gardens, go back to the airport and then finally to Haarlem?
Depends on your luggage I suppose. If it's bulky and heavy storing it at Schiphol is the right idea. However, can't you go to the hotel, store your luggage and then take the bus from Haarlem to Keukenhof? The #300 fast buses from Schiphol will get you to Haarlem Station. From there you can also take a bus to Keukenhof. (the 850 Arriva Keukenhof Express)
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 01:16 AM

Kinderdijk is far, far better. It's got a new visitor's centre with a lovely terrace and view across the Molenvliet, and it's so special to see an entire array of mills. Many people are surprised to learn that they're still used to regulate the water level in the Middenwaard polder on occasions when the (now electrified) pumping works can't cope.

I forgot to mention that in Haarlem, Teylers Museum is a must see imo. https://www.teylersmuseum.nl/nl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -