Reload this Page >

3 must see places in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Kristen

Hi! I'd like to know what you would consider the top 3 must see places in Switzerlnad. My choices were <BR>1)Lucerne <BR>2)Interlaken <BR>3)Jungfrau <BR>I'm not sure if I want to go to Zurich. It sounds like a busy city. I'd like to go to peaceful places where I can enjoy my time without a lot of noise. Along with that, I like to visit breathtaking places,that if I told my friends that didn't go there, Those places would be 'A Travel Must!' <BR>I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance! <BR>

Old May 6th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Kristen

Hi! I'm the author(Kristen) or the person who's asking the top 3 places to visit in Switzerland.I forgot to add, but are these places,too,worth visiting: <BR>Grindwald?, <BR>Lugano?, <BR>Mt. Pilatus? <BR>I am interested in knowing where other people would chose to go, so I can have an idea of where to go. THANK YOU!!! <BR>

Old May 6th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Bob Brown

I think you should add Zermatt to the list because of the mountains -- Monte Rosa and the Matterhorn plus the whole Mischabel chain between Zermatt and the Saaser Visper valley. <BR>I would rate Saas Fee ahead of Interlaken as a place to go to see the Alps. The Dom towers over Saas Fee by about 9,000 feet. It is the highest mountain totally within Switzerland (The peak is almost 15,000 feet above sea level.) <BR>Grindelwald is a busy tourist center, too.

Old May 6th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Michael

I've been to Interlaken, and Lucerne, and Jungfrau (Grindewald is the same general area)and I have been to the bigger cities: Genva, Bern, and Zurich. <BR> <BR>Zurich is a big city but the Baunhofstrasse is an elegant shopping street. And the Bauer-Au-Lac Hotel at the top of this street and just across from the lake is world class. But Zurch also has the boats that cruise the lake. In reality some people commute to and from their homes - but you can take a very tranquil 3 or 4 hour cruise and enjoy the lake and mountains and the beautiful homes that surround the lake. <BR> <BR>In Grindewald you can take the trains high up into the mountains...although Grindwald itself is high up. The trains are expensive. In Interlaken you can take a train pulled up the mountainside by cable...and when you get to the top you can hike the Alpine Trails until you are far above interlaken. <BR> <BR>Lugano is a beautiful lakeside town. I stayed there three days. <BR> <BR>Yes there is Zermatt, and St. Moritz, and Gstaad, and Davos, and plenty of other names well known. To be honest with you all of Switzerland was great. Geneva has the UN and a wonderful lakeside park. Montreaux is also a lake city. I recommend the entire country...but if you do the the choices you have named you will be fine. <BR> <BR>Michael

Old May 7th, 2000, 10:57 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Kristen <BR>Have to place my list of the three must <BR>see places in CH. First would be the <BR>Berneroberland, which includes Interlaken, Grindelwald, Murren, Wengen <BR>The Jungfrau and also the Schlithorn. <BR>And the lakes of Thun and Brienz. <BR>Secondly would be the area in and around <BR>Luzern. Mt. Pilatus, Engleberg and <BR>Mt. Titlis, Mt. Rigi, Vitznau and Weggis <BR>and also Lake Lucerne. <BR>and 3rd and lastly the area in and around Zermatt, the Gornergrat, Riffelalp, the incline railway and <BR>the hiking within this area. The area <BR>at the foot of the Matterhorn, Schwarzer <BR>see, lunch at the hotel and the walk down Furi. The cable car up to Trockener Steg and further to Kleine <BR>Matternhorn..Sorry of going on and on but these are my best places in CH. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Old May 7th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Paul

Kristen, I can certainly echo the recommendation of those who list the Bernese Oberland as one of the top places to visit. Bob, Richard, and others had great advice before planning my week there last summer. <BR>I'll also jump in with a follow-up question for the group as part of your post. I'm now looking ahead to summer of 2001 and would like to visit another part of the Swiss Alps. I'm considering the area around the Zermatt, but are there smaller villages anyone would recommend? I'm in the early planning stages, so any other location advice would be welcome as well. Last summer my family of four rented a wonderful apartment for a week in a very quiet location, and I would like to do the same for our next trip. Thanks.

Old May 7th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Dave

My wife and I cannot wait for our next trip to Switzerland. Our three favorite places would be: Zermatt (The Matterhorn on a clear day is awe inspiring!), Cully (Just north of Zermatt on the train), a very typical and beautiful Swiss lakeside (Lake Geneva) village with a couple of world class restaurants and Zurich (Great restaurants and the Bahnofstrasse (My wife loves to shop!). -Dave- www.crazyabouttravel.com

Old May 7th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Kristen

Thank you all for your choices. I have considered each one. I'm not quite sure,yet, where exactly I'm going, but I'd like to thank everyone who replied. I appreciate it! If there are any more excellent places to see, please reply!!! Thank you again!

Old May 7th, 2000, 07:51 PM
Carolyn

We took the train from Interlaken to Murren (actually it was train, bus, gondola). We had a Swiss Pass which covered it all. Murren is a very small village that was extremely quiet in mid-June last year. We stayed at the Pension Sonnenberg which as about a 3/4 mile hike uphill. But we were alone in the most gorgeous valley overlooking the trio of mtns.; the Jungfrau, the Eiger and the Monk. The weather was not so good for the 2 days we were there but just the few moments when we were able to see the range were worth the whole trip! Just magnificent. Since we were clouded in, we did not get the chance to go to the top of some of the mountains and just spent the day taking the local trains around. Excellent system, you can get anywhere. We did make it to Grindelwald and it was very touristy. We were happy we chose to stay in Murren. Switzerland is so pretty, I'm sure you will love wherever you go! Have fun. Carolyn

Old May 7th, 2000, 08:18 PM
adina

I would place the Jungfrau/Grindelwald area at the top of my list. Unfortunately for the two days I was in Zermatt the weather was completely cloudy and the very top of the Matterhorn was all we saw for a minute. I found the town completely overrun by tourists-- it felt like one of those put together "old west" towns. We spent one day in Grindelwald just walking around the town and found real neighborhoods, a wedding party, and had a very pleasant time. The hikes in the area were breathtaking. On the train from St. Moritz to Milan we passed some beautiful areas that we wished we had time to explore-- some in Switzerland and some in Italy but I can't say exactly where.

Old May 8th, 2000, 02:17 AM
gayle

Hi Kristen, with Switzerland you can't go wrong, it's spectacular!. We just got back to Australia from Europe and we travelled through Switzerland with a Swiss Rail Pass. We loved every minute of it. Our first 3 nights were in Lucerne and we stayed in Panarama Pension which I found on the internet $90Aust which I think is about $70US a double with breakfast. Was this place a find. It is two minutes from the town centre, up on a hill and our room had the far wall with full balcony and window, which was completly filled with the view of Mt Pilitas. We could'nt believe it. The cable car to Mt Pilitas is only a 10 minute bus ride from Lucerne, expensive with no swiss pass but a 360 degree view from the top. We then travelled to Interlaken on the train. We spent 2 nights there and went up the jungfrau, it wasn't clear for the trip but it was beautiful at the top and the glacier was spectacular. dont make this trip if the weather is bad, its expensive and you wont see more than 6 feet in front of you if its a bad day. We then went to Montreux for one night. If you go this way make sure your train goes via zweissmann and Visp as this is a beautiful trip, recommended in the travel guides and we weren't dissapointed! The Chillon Castle is here and we also took a boat ride on the lake (covered with the swiss pass).Its a pretty town, with lovely gardens Then the train to Zermatt. We had glorious weather and the place was magical. Instead of travelling on the cog wheel to gornoret we followed the masses of skiers and caught the 3 cable cars to the top of Klein Matterhorn. Please if you go to Zermatt, do this, if its a clear day, its indescribable!and this ride to Klein Matterhorn does not seem to be promoted if your not a skier and so ask where to go - youll love it!(its starts from the far end of the main street) The following morning we took off on the Glacier Express to Chur. What can I say...?? so many verbs to describe a country!! If you go on the Glacier Express make sure you pay the supplement to travel in the first class it's about an extra $50USD but the first class carriages have glass roofs while the 2nd class dont and I assure you the experience is totally different with those ceilings! <BR>Chur has nothing special to offer, but we arrived late in the afternoon and continued on the next morning. Wherever you choose, you'll enjoy, but I think our vote went to Lucerne for overall variety, lovely town to wander in, wonderful view wherever you walk or look, great mountain trips in every direction with no hassle, beautiful lake to cruise on, and really friendly people. Have a great holiday - Gayle <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 8th, 2000, 04:37 AM
dan woodlief

I second Richard's three of Berner Oberland, Luzern, and Zermatt area. I have not been to the latter yet, but I think it is safe to put that on my list. If you are talking breathtaking, you must go to the mountains. Luzern also throws in a nice big lake as well. Another way of seeing Switzerland is to try to take in the three main cultures. For German, you could visit places such as the Berner Oberland, Luzern, or Bern (which I liked almost as much as Luzern). For French, there are Montreux, Lausanne, Murten, Gruyere, and many other nice spots. For Italian, Lugano would be a good choice.

Old May 8th, 2000, 06:26 AM
Marla

We visited Switzerland last May and agree with the other posters --- it's hard not to find beauty all around you, whether it's the mountains or the lakes. We visited the Berner Oberland area and Zermatt. One valuable tip I picked up from this forum concerning the Matterhorn. To get the best view of the Matterhorn, get up early on a cloudless morning. On our last night in Zermatt, the stars were out and the evening was spectacular. We were up at 6:00 am the next morning standing on our balcony for the perfect view of the Matterhorn. The sunrise hits the top of the mountain first and works it's way down. By 8:15 am the clouds were already moving in and the view was cloudy. Just a tip!

Old May 8th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Jerald

Zermatt is a definate! no cars @ the foot of the Materhorn, just gorgeous. The Glacier Express leaves from there to St. Moritz & on to Lugano. These are day long trips with breath taking views of dozens of tunnels & bridges & glaciers. Book 1st class to get the observation cars & 2 nights in each or you will only have time to sleep at them & miss some of the local beauty. Last July it was 1 degree C.in zermatt & St. Mortiz in the evening. We will go back! Have fun where ever you choose.

Old May 8th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Bob Brown

Well, if you want to see a part of the alps that Americans have not overstomped, I recommend driving up into Val d'Anniviers - Zinal, Grimentz and environs. We went up to Barrage de Moiry for some wonderful scenery. The Moiry Glacier feeds the lake behind the dam and it is possible to get fairly close to the glacier. <BR>Everybody on this board ignores Saas Fee; I guess it is because they haven't been there.

Old May 8th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Roger & Amy

Hi Kristen! <BR> <BR> Of the places we visited on our honeymoon in Switzerland, we found Lucerne to be so beautiful and peaceful that we shaved one day off Rome and Munich to return to Lucerne for two more days. We went to Interlaken,Grin <BR>delwald, Jungfrau, Zug and Zurich. We found Lucerne to be about as close to heaven as one could get. We stayed at the Hotel Krone on our first stay, which would cost about $80 at todays currency rates and on our return trip we stayed at the Chateau Gutch. The Chateau Gutch is where Queen Elizabeth stayed on her summer jaunts to Europe. Mt. Pilatus is a great excursion. You get a 360 degree view of the Swiss Alps, with the city of Lucerne in the valley (if clouds don't obscure the town). Grindelwald and Interlaken were a let down after Lucerne, but Jungfrau is a good excursion. My advice is to spend at least 3 days in the Lucerne area and 2 days in the Interlaken area. <BR> <BR>Have Fun, <BR> <BR>Roger and Amy

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 02:56 AM
Clare Regez

WENGEN, in the Jungfrau region is the only place you'll need to go! <BR>Check out the following web page and your search will be over, and before you leave this magical place you will already be planning your next trip back!! <BR>http://home.sunrise.ch/aregez

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 06:05 AM
LP

Rarely mentioned in guidebooks is the Loetschental, an incredible valley just north of Brig. My wife and I visited there at the end of May this year and were the only Americans at Hotel Edelweiss in Blatten. Peace, quiet, great hiking, views, no shopping, no must-see sights-we loved it.

Old May 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts of travel in Switzerland are most often linked with stunning views of the snow-capped Alps, although you will find the entire country to be remarkable in respect to scenery.
It's a difficult question with all of this splendor is, "Where to go and what to see on your Switzerland vacation?"

Lucerne is one of the most touristed cities in Switzerland and it's not hard to see why. Bernese Oberland, Jungfrau keeps company with the equally famous Eiger and the Mönch,
Well frankly telling i can't resist to skip even a single place in Swiss when i went for hoenymooning it was a joyful trip!
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to Fodors, Harleen, but note that you just added a comment to a thread that had been inactive for almost 12 years. Your thoughts on Switzerland are encouraged, but it's more helpful to try to find more current threads.