COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

3 mornings in Brussels, what to do?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:00 AM
Jim

3 mornings in Brussels, what to do?

I have three mornings where I can walk around Brussels and also have the evenings free so I'll try to have a nice meal or two.
What neighborhoods should I concentrate on? I love wide avenues like Ludwigstrasse in Munich and la Rambla in Barcelona. Will I find that type of avenue in Brussels?
Thanks for any info.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Patricia

When I stayed in Brussels, I didn't like it at all.. I think the only interesting places to go are: Grand Place and stroll the Av. Ixelles. I would recommend a day trip to Bruges, if possible.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:42 AM
BTilke

As someone who has lived in Brussels for more than 3 years and found plenty to do, I think Patricia just didn't try very hard. You don't have to like Brussels (sometimes I don't like it either), but there is plenty to do.
1. Grand'Place
2. Sablon
3. Avenue Louise shopping area
4. Chatelain area for shopping and Chaussee de Waterloo for one excellent, but moderately priced, restaurant after another (and no tourists).
5. The museum of musical instruments. Knockout Art Nouveau building; incredible views from cafe on top
6. Van Buren museum (terrific gardens, including the heart garden and the maze)
7. Chatea de la Hulpe (also called Domaine Solvay); great grounds for walking, interesting Folon museum (technically the Fondation Folon), charming little upscale town of La Hulpe.
8. Horta House--another outstanding example of Art Nouveau style

By all means, visit Bruges if you have time, but ignore the whiners who complain "there's nothing to do/see in Brussels".

BTilke (Brussels)

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Jim

Thanks for the replies,anymore ideas are welcome.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:21 AM
David

South of the Grand Place is the Museum of Modern Art. It has one of the best collections of Magrittes I've seen. It also has Dali's, “Temptation of St. Anthony.”