3 days in Venice

Search

3 days in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Venice

Going to Venice three days before a cruise. Already been there about 17 years ago. Will be dealing with jet at that point but wondering what places people suggest to visit.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Venice is ideal for just wandering around. Pick a centrally located hotel. I've been twice, 5 days each time, no itinerary, saw tons of stuff.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM

This might get you started:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ion=venice@163
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and info.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Venice in the central part is one of the easiest places I've ever been. Because of no cars and street traffic. A bit confusing, in a good way, by the layout. Just work from a map and hope for the best!

I deal with jet lag by taking things very slow and gentle for a day or two. I love the stand-up bars in the morning for coffee or espresso, pastires, wine, and cafes for sandwiches later in the day.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Around every corner is a treasure. Wander to your hearts content. That is where you will find the beauty.

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Here's a suggested itinerary I put together on another thread:

Author: Girlspytravel
Date: 05/01/2007, 12:02 am
KK21-here is my suggested itinerary for the city I spend the most time in, anywhere in the world:

For Venice, you want to see the history of La Serenissima, to get a sense of the Venetian republic at its zenith-to do that, you have to make the Palazzo Ducale your first stop, you'll want to see the astounding Sala dei Maggior Consiglio, with its huge Tintoretto mural on one wall, the portraits of the Doges along the walls (the Doges being the former civil head of authority in Venice) and the incredible frescoed ceiling-this huge hall, one of the largest in the world of its type, was the diplomatic reception area for the Republic during the 15, 16th century. You'll also want to tour the Basilica of San Marco next door, to see its magnficent golden mosaics inside, its frescoes, and to go up inside so you can walk around the outside of the Basilica to see the view.

In any visit to Venice, you'll want to take the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal to see the magnificent palazzos that line the Grand Canal, but you'll also want to see the inside of one of these gorgeous palazzos as well, to see how the wealthy and titled Venetian families lived during the heyday of the Republic. For that you need to visit the beautiful Ca' Rezzonico on the Grand Canal, with its sumptious decor, and priceless art- works by Canaletto, Titian, and Tintoretto, which shows Venice and Venetians in various centuries, a fascinating pictorial history, as it were, with a lovely garden outside, and a nice little cafe for refreshment. Ca'Rezzonico is a must-see, IMO.

Then, I would suggest getting on the vaporetto, to go over for a visit to the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, where Benedictine monks have inhabited this island for over 1,000 years, to see their stunning complex of a church built by Andrea Palladio, with its priceless works by Tintoretto, Palma di Giovane, and Titian, its two lovely cloisters, but particularly, to go up in their campanile (bell tower) to see the incomparable views of Venice and the lagoon area-you can see everything from here, it seems-really stunning.

And finally, I would suggest a tour of La Fenice, the exquisite Venetian opera house, to see Venice's present day culture, and I would try to get tickets to a performance so you can experience this opera house and its magnificent acoustics.

www.teatrolafenice.it/index.php

Or, as an alternative, I would get tickets to a performance at the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista, to a concert or an opera that they regularly present. San Giovanni Evangelista is a stunning building going back several centuries, with murals and paintings by the great Venetian masters Bellini, Carpaccio, Tintoretto, Tiepolo, sculptural work by Mauro Codussi, among others. It is used by the Venetians for cultural presentations, and the President of Italy came for a visit just last week. The vast salon of San Giovanni is where the concerts are held, and it is truly stunning. You can view the salon, and/or purchase tickets for a concert at this website:

www.classictic.com/venues/52.html

These are some of the places I would advise to see for a first trip to Venice, to get a sense of its history and culture, past and present.

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM

My best Venice tip is to watch at the corner of buildings, often there is an arrow painted w/names, heading you toward the major places... Rialto bridge, Accadamia bridge, San Marcos, etc. It can help you sort yourself out as you're wandering around.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM
ira

Thanks for the post, GST.

I've put it on Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM

I recently went to Venice on a Contiki tour, which was an awesome time. We were in Venice for a day and just wondered around the city. You might get a little lost, but it's small enough where you can find your way back. We also saw a glass blowing demonstration, which was a lot of fun and very worth while. The glass in Venice is so beautiful. Also, make sure to go on a Gondala ride. Our group went on one and it was a lot of fun. Something you can only do in Venice!