3 days in Tuscany help with itinerary and restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everyone that has helped secure our accommodations. There is so many towns to see in Tuscany! I know we can get lost but hopefully we will get lost on the best of the best.

Sept 14 - Leave Rome port by car at 8a to drive to Tuscany. Not to miss towns before arrive at the hotel and lunch somewhere recommended? Dinner somewhere close by. Suggestions? Overnight Montepulciano.

September 15 - Touring Tuscany; the best town suggestions? Tour and dinner at Castello Banfi in Montalcino; Overnight Montepulciano.

September 16 - Touring Tuscany north - Town suggestions? Have to be in Florence by 4pm for cookiing class in Farm House; overnight. Florence

September 17 - I have been to Florence but I can't decide if we should save it for another trip and just go spend the time in Parma? Overnight. Parma
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Many things will be closed in Florence on Monday, and if you have been there before, you might enjoy a full day in Parma.

Lunch in Italy is served only between 12.30 and 2pm. So when you leave Civitavecchia (the port of Rome), you should drive until 12.00 noon, and then get off the road and look for a place to eat. You can follow signs that have a knife and fork on them. Orvieto is a nice town to walk around if you arrive there before 12.00 noon. But if you are not in Orvieto by 12 noon, then just go off the autostrada and park in a small town. You will get nice food and it will be fun to be there.

On the Sunday you are leaving Montepuliciano to go to your cooking class in Florence, I don't think you have time to do any touring if you must be at your cooking class at 4pm. Are you planning to drop off your car at the Florence airport? That is the only car rental office that will be open. Or are you planning to keep your car? If you are keeping your car, you will need to get very very good directions from your hotel about how to drive through the city and find parking near the hotel without entering any zones where tourist cars are not allowed.

It might be better to get rid off the car and take the train to Parma.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM

You are attempting to cover a lot of ground--one 2 night stand and two 1 night stays. Most of your touring will be with your luggage--a situation we try to avoid.

Re:Mpntepulciano-Banfi dinner-Montepulciano. Gird yourself ! That will be a very long drive in the dark after a long day and a big dinner with multiple wines. I've done a variation of it and won't repeat it, its just too far and even though we are very familiar with the roads, it is not a pleasant way to end an evening. From MP, you can visit Pienza, San Querico and Montalcino on that day but save your energy.

Re: MP to Florence for a 4 pm cooking class. You could leave early from MP and decide to 1) drive the Crete Senese stopping at Monte Olivetto or 2) Go to Siena for the morning (or somewhere else on your list). In any case get to Florence early to PARK and check in and get to your cooking class site.

MP has many dinner options--Aquachetta is my favorite but La Porta in nearby Montchiello is our new favorite.
Good luck--Paul
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Good points.

Why do you say that we need to get to Orvieto by noon? Because we won't be able to park?

We are staying outside of Florence (so we don't have to deal with driving in the city) that night. The cooking class actually picks up and takes us to the class.

The next day we are saying in Parma enroute to Milan for our flight home. Is there enough to do and see in Parma for 2 full days?
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Paul - good point. maybe we should do lunch at Banfi instead of dinner? A friend recommended eating there. Not sure they are open - I can check.

Thank you Paul - you have been most helpful. I really wanted to see Siena and you have managed to include it. Don't know the Crete Senese so I will have to do some research on that.

The cooking class is not actually in Florence - it is in the countryside but the address is Florence. It was recommended also as a highlight of someone's journey.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM

I am saying that you shouldn't have your heart set on eating in Orvieto unless you are sure you can get there and find a parking place by 12.30pm. If you are on the road at noon and not close to Orvieto, it is better to stop in a town and find a place to eat and THEN go to Orvieto afterward (or Cortona or Chiusi or whatever interests you). You just shouldn't take a chance on missing the lunch hour completely. Is that clearer? Some people plan a trip by picking a recommended restaurant way in advance of actually being in Italy, and they don't realize how long it takes to get there, find parking, etc. They end up missing lunch completely.

It is a nice idea to take a scenic drive through the crete senesi and then through the chianti on the way from Montepulciano to Florence. It depends on where you are staying outside Florence which is the nicest way to go. But there are plenty of nice small villages to visit or have lunch if you don't want to go to Siena (I think that might be too rushed.) You need to leave time in case you get lost or miss a turn.

If you don't find enough to do in Parma for 2 day, you can ride the train for 30 minutes and visit Modena, or ride it 50 minutes and visit Bologna. If you have a car, you can visit the castle at Torrechiara (15 minutes outside of town, closed Mondays) or drive over to Modena. But many people find it pleasant to be in Parma for 2 whole days, especially if they also take a food tour (cheese, ham, pasta, balsamic vinegar, etc).
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Paul - the menu at La Porta sounds fabulous!

Thank you for the clarification Stacciatella - yea I get that. We wouldn't do that.