3 days in Rome

Jan 8th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

3 days in Rome

Any helpful ideas as to best transportation from cruise port to hotel. Assume train. We are staying at the Hotel Imperial. Also, fast and not expensive transportation from hotel to airport. We are a couple. Also, any helpful hints on taking tours that would get us into major attractions without waiting in lines. Thanks!
Jan 8th, 2019, 06:42 PM

There are only two places in Rome where you typically need to worry about long lines: Vatican and Colisseum. You can pre-purchase tickets online and skip the ticket lines, although there are still security lines that usually are much shorter.

The official links (stay away from the street vendors) are: https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm and https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va...?weblang=en&do

We prefer the train from Civitavecchia to shuttles because the train might be 10 euros or so each and the shuttle can be $60-100 euro, depending on sharing. Rail from Termini also is less expensive than taxis and shuttles but the difference isn’t as dramatic. The best options are buses (Terravision is one) that I believe cost $5 euro each. They also leave from outside Termini rail station. We have had shared shuttles for as little as $35 euros; express train the last time I checked was $14 euros each. Taxi will be $50-60 euros.
Jan 8th, 2019, 07:16 PM

If you don't want train or bus, airportshuttle.it is a shared shuttle that is 25 Euro from hotel to airport. That's the cost for one person; I think there is a small charge for a second person. Seems to me it is only 5 Euro, so that's only a couple Euro more than 14 Euro each for the express train and more convenient because they pick you up right at your hotel. They also do from cruise port into Rome but not sure what that costs. I have used them many times.
Jan 9th, 2019, 06:34 PM

Rome is dirty, chaotic, noisy, crowded, but it's one of my favorite cities. The history, the romance....... I am sure no one needs to list all the places you can see, and ones you won't have time to see in only three days. And, if you do need a list, go to google. You sound excited, and that suggests you will have a great time and will hope to return. Just make sure the next time you consider the other 100 plus places in Italy that are magnificent in their own right, the Dolomites, the northern lakes, Venice, Florence, Italian Riviera including Cinque Terre, Umbria and Tuscany, the Amalfi coast, Puglia region, Matera, Sicily, Sardinia and much, much more. Have fun.
Jan 10th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Hotel Imperiale on the Via Veneto?

Take Barbarini Metro to Termini and take the Leonardo Express right to Fiumicino. You can buy tickets from the red Trentalia machines at the front of Termini. Track is usually 25 or 26.

Thin
Jan 11th, 2019, 10:48 PM

Frankly, the taxi/ car transport from Rome to airport is not that expensive, around 45Euros. , as compared to close to 30 Euros for two people Leonardo express to airport. Please do your due diligence and pick whatever makes sense
Jan 12th, 2019, 05:46 AM

My first suggestion would be that you hire a tour guide for the 2nd and 3rd days. We had ours for 3 hours each, 2 days. It was well worth it.
I'm sure you probably already have the Vatican on your radar. But my favorite thing in all my trips to Rome was the Basilica San Clemente.
It has 3 archaeological levels, 3 different "churches" that show how Rome was built in layers. You can go down to each level. This is where
our tour guide really paid off.