Search

3 days in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Paris

My husband planned a quick getaway trip to Paris for my 40th birthday in March. We have a lot to see in a short time and also wanted to have one special dinner while there. Does anyone have recommendations for a great restaurant if we're willing to splurge for one night? We were thinking of making a reservation at LeJules Verne on top of the Eiffel Tower. Does anyone have thoughts or other recommendations? Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Are you after terrific food or a terrific view?
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM

I'd try Les Ombres in the Musee de qUAI bRANLEy, then you'd also have the Eiffel Tower in view.

http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com/
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
ira

Hi Cos,

Restos with a view:
Jules Verne
Ciel de Paris
Les Ombres
Tour d'Argent

Great Dining Experience: Taillevent

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're definitely looking for terrific food, and if we can get it with a great view/ambiance too that would be ideal.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM

How much would you like to spend?
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

For this one meal, we're going to say cost is not an issue. We are really looking for a great overall dining experience and are willing to pay for it - just want to make sure we pick the best one and not something that's really expensive because it's a tourist attraction.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I have not been there since the new chef took over, but the combination of good food and the incredible view makes Jules Verne an experience you will remember the rest of your life, IMHO.

Be sure to stop in the lounge for an after dinner drink and/or coffee. The view and ambiance is lovely.

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 01:05 PM
ira

Hi C,

One problem with Jules Verne is that you are IN the Eiffel Tower and can't see it.

I suggest that you look up the reviews of Les Ombres, and try to make reservations now.

You can also visit the Branley Museum before dinner.

For a dining experience that you will talk about for years and years, my favorite is Taillevent.

Perhaps you can do a lunch at T (about 70E pp + wine) and a dinner at LO (on different days).

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Helene d'Arroze - fabulous tasting meal!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Believe the "new chef" who operates the Jules Verne is Alain Ducasse, who many regard as the finest chef on earth. The prices reflect that regard. His recent Valentine's Day dinner menu, with wine, was 540 euros. Per person. There are many other restaurants in Paris that command those prices.

You might investigate Lasserre on Franklin Roosevelt, which has a unique view of the sky through its retractable roof and a decor developed around a cruise ship theme during the golden age of travel. I agree with Ira that the Tour d'Argent has a spectacular view (of Notre Dame and the islands); it also boasts a first rate cuisine, one of the best wine caves in the world and a matchless 400+ year history. It's where kings and emperors dined-if they could get reservations.

Many regard Taillevant as the finest dining in Paris, known too for its wine cellar. Les Ambassadeurs, at the Hotel Crillon, has many faithful fans.

These restaurants have websites so you can check out the ambience for yourselves before deciding.

Enjoy your trip and special dinner.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I wish we had 3 more days (and more money) to try these all, but we will look into the ones you suggested and make a decision. We really appreciate the advice!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Personally, I would skip Jules Verne and go to either Taillevant..pure heaven..really enjoy Les Ambassadeurs which is in one of my favorite hotels, Hotel de Crillon.
Guy Savoy and Tour d'Argent have had fantastic meals as well.
Keep in mind these all were done on a business account and though I love to eat and drink, it is quite a splurge.
There are so many fab bistros in Paris that you really don't need to spend a lot of Euros.
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon at the Hotel Pont Royal in the 6th is a great restaurant and won't break the bank like the above.

Happy 40th to you!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! We will definitely keep that in mind and am so looking forward to trying some of the great bistros too - I wish we were leaving today!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Believe the "new chef" who operates the Jules Verne is Alain Ducasse, who many regard as the finest chef on earth. The prices reflect that regard. His recent Valentine's Day dinner menu, with wine, was 540 euros. Per person. There are many other restaurants in Paris that command those prices.

I really cant imagine any meal worth this kind of price.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM

gosh, I forgot that Alain Ducasse is the new chef at Jules Verne..well that changes things.
Let us know where you went..
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM

So what does a meal at Taillevent or Guy Savoy or Robuchon go for these days? I imagine Jules Verne is more expensive because of its location? (like dandi, I like food, but cannot in my wildest dreams imagine myself spending this kind of money for a meal, and it has nothing to do with being able to afford it or not -- it's just of no interest to me. I prefer a really good meal that doesn't break the proverbil bank!)
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

We are still deciding but are leaning toward either Jules Verne or Taillevent (were sold on Taillevent but are now again considering Jules Verne because of the comments regarding Alain Ducasse). These two are roughly the same price (200 Euros for JV; 190 for Taillevent). I'd love to do one for lunch and the other for dinner but can't really justify the cost for that...will keep you posted. Thanks again for all the great replies!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM

How about lunch at Taillevent for 80 Euros per person.. and JV for dinner?
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM

As a serious foodie who has done an incredible amount of research (both reading and eating) on fine dining in Paris, I wouldn't choose Taillevant or Jules Verne. Both will be very expensive for the full experience and neither will offer you top food.

While Ducasse is a top level chef, he is a celebrity chef who owns and operates many restaurants around the world and while he has conceived the menu at JV, it was conceived for tourists who expect to be overcharged for the view. He, himself is very unlikely to be anywhere near the restaurant when you dine.

Taillevant is gracious and traditional and will make you feel very welcome and pampered but the food is not really special anymore. And while the lunch menu seems a good value at 80E, the choices are very limited and not the top quality. For a much better value, if you want a lunch special, I would go for the 100E internet reservation special at Guy Savoy where you choose from their full menu. We thoroughly enjoyed a fabulous lunch there last year. But I wouldn't choose it for a blowout special dinner because the setting/ambiance is nothing special. It's clubby and a little cave like with no views at all.

For really special food and ambiance, my choice would be (and is...we're going in May)Le Cinq in the Four Seasons. The chef is Eric Briffard who was at Les Eleysees and earned them 2 Michelin stars and was well on his way to a third when he took the job at Le Cinq last spring when the chef there walked out in a huff. He's had stellar reviews since taking over the kitchen in July. He is truly creative and prepares really special dishes within the genre of traditional French cuisine. And the setting is gorgeous! Palatial, elegant and warm. This (like any Michelin starred place) will cost you lots of money for a good meal with wine, but if money is not an object and you want fabulous food in special setting, this would be my first choice, certainly way ahead of JV or Taillevant.

Rostang is also amazing, although not particularly for ambiance. The food is very cutting edge and not for everyone as he strays sometimes quite far from "traditional" but if you're a serious foodie, you would appreciate a meal here.

Les Hombres repeatedly gets trashed by everyone I personally respect for really knowing food. Lovely view of course but generally terrible service and very mediocre food. I'd stay away.

I'd also recommend checking out Chowhound an Egullet, two websites geared specifically toward food. There are plenty of really knowledgeable folks posting there, many living in Paris and some who eat and write about it for a living.

Have a wonderful time and be sure to report back about what you chose and how it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -