Search

Visiting Mon San Michel from Paris- Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Mon San Michel from Paris- Day Trip

Hello,
I will be visiting Paris the last two weeks of October this year and plan to spend a day visiting Mon San Michel.
Much of the information I have found has either not been very detailed (to my liking) or was several years old so I’m hoping to find someone can help me.

I know this will be a very very long travel day as it seems like I will need to take a train to Rennes then a bus and a shuttle or a very long walk from there.
I haven’t taken the TGV before though I don’t suspect that will be any issue for me however where will I find the correct bus once at Rennes? Is it better to prebook a ticket for this bus or is it better to leave until I get there? Also if anyone is aware of the cost of this bus that’d be awesome.

My other concern is I can’t seem to figure out how long I can plan on visiting. I’m assuming the bus to take me back to Rennes station would stop running at some point? I’d love to stay til dark to see MSM all lit up, however I don’t want to be stranded either trying to make it back to my train. I will be traveling alone and while I’m not concerned w doing so I’d also rather know in advance what I’m working with.

And finally, can anyone recommend the best site for purchasing a TGV ticket? one site (can’t remember which one) had me at $148 for a round trip ticket but Oui.snfv was around $68 much better but t didn’t allow me to sele
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Oops it cut me off. The site didn’t allow me to select my seat which if that’s just how it works that’s fine but of course I’d rather pick my own seat if possible.

Thanks so much in advance to any who have advice to share
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:11 AM

It's very odd that you haven't found these details you're looking for because they are all spelled out quite clearly on the official website of Le Mont Saint-Michel and loads of other websites. It does help I suppose to spell it correctly, but even with your spelling I'm sure Google can guess.

So, back you go to https://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/e...int-michel.htm. Everything you have asked is detailed there, including the names of all bus lines that travel there, the routes, the timetables, and the fares.

Schedules and fares are not available for the TGV to Rennes and back yet, but you can get a general idea by using www.trainline.eu (which is an authorized partner of SNCF and has the exact same information). You can also use www.oui.sncf (make sure you spell that right, not as above in your OP). You should book your trains about 90 days out from your travel date to get the best prices. Right now, looking about 90 days out for the Paris>Rennes/Rennes>Paris run on the same day, leaving early and coming home late, prices are 16€ for the cheapest ride (each way) and 35€ for the most expensive (in 2nd class). It shouldn't be much different in October. You should have the option of selecting seats once you've chosen your trains.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:44 AM

I would question whether a day trip to Mont Saint Michel is worth it...

The island is very picturesque when viewed across the fields as you approach, but once you get there, it has all the qualities of a tourist trip — lots of tourists climbing one winding street, lined with souvenir stores, up to the top of the island. Mont Saint Michel has a certain Disney quality to it ... and I'd personally pass on it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The main problem with a day trip -- other than the very long day and expense . . . is that you will see the Mont at its very worst along with the thousands of other day trippers. It is lovely in the morning and in the evenings when all those hordes are gone, but you will be in the middle of it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 09:09 AM

If the only problem with SNCF website is that it didn't allow you to select your seat, why would you think any third party website would? SNCF is the one who owns the trains, if they won't allow you, then it's the type of train where you can't do that.

SNCF runs the buses, also, in fact, if you book a trip from Paris to Mont St Michel, it includes the bus anyway. You don't always go through Rennes, either, so if I were you, I'd use the SNCF website and find the best schedule for me, whether it changes to a bus in Rennes or Dol de Bretagne. If it were me, I'd take the 8:14 which arrives at 11:20 at the Mont. The last return is 18:05 FROM the MONT (it's a bus and transfers to a train in Rennes) which gets into Paris about 9 pm.

It may vary on different days of the week, but all you have to do is check schedules on SNCF website to see.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

StCirq thanks for the links I appreciate you sharing because believe it or not I actually did have trouble finding the official site despite my misspelling which came from going off the top of my head and not double checking before posting.

Christina as far as why would I assume other sites would allow me to pick my seat? Because of the two sites I looked as for estimates in cost one did allow me to chose my seat while the other did not. So...no assumption made that’s just how it was 🙄

and yes, I know it’s a big tourist spot but not all tourists spots should be scrapped. Considering this would be my second time to Paris this really is 1 of two “tourist” spots is be visiting anyway.
I’m visiting the same time of year as I did the first time and crowds were really not an issue everywhere else we went that were touristy so It’s not a big concern for me.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:22 PM

Is there a long walk from where the bus lets you off? did not used to be but that was before the reconfiguration of access dyke, etc. Anyway can't be any longer walk that any car. Great advice from those above - just to reiterate though book the cheapest tickets as soon as they come online - limited in number and here today may be gone tomorrow. www.seat61.com has great advice on booking your own discounted tickets at www.oui.sncf- the French railways sites - no need to book thru other sites that are third-party ones unless www.oui.sncf don't work for you - used to be problems in past but many folk now say little problem. and don't miss train/bus either way as the deepest discounted tickets are not changeable nor refundable I believe. Try to avoid weekends for slightly fewer crowds but in October those are greatly dissapated I would expect.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:23 PM

I would not write off the trip just because there will be lots of tourists there. Mont St. Michel is still a wonder and worth a day trip if you have time constraints that don't allow you to spend more time there or stay overnight close by to enjoy the morning and evening there when the tourists hoards are gone. I took a bus tour there from Paris with a group of friends. While it was more expensive than making our own way there by train and bus or taxi, it was an efficient use of our time, given that we would only have one day there. We did not have to worry about train schedules or getting lost. We enjoyed the running narrative that described what we were seeing along the way. We enjoyed a lunch of "typical" food from the region (we had already researched this), then had adequate free time to explore the little town and abbey. After a long, tiring day we did not have to make our way back on our own, but could just board the bus for a relaxing trip back to Paris. It is a trip I recommend to others, especially if you have visited Paris before.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you burta, I had considered a tour for the simplicity of it but I also don’t always like being on someone else’s schedule lol it’s always a battle of pros and cons. If you don’t mind my asking w tour did you book?
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

And thank you PalenQ I had forgotten about seat61!
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 01:01 PM

Tours would also cost a ton more money.

I think seriously overcrowding in October is a bit unlikely but if we did not go to places in Europe that draw crowds...we would see very little of the usual 'musts'.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

I get what you mean PalenQ I’m usually about 50/50 as far as “musts” go. If it’s something I’ve heard of or had interest in myself then I won’t let it being touristy keep me from going, I actually try to find unique ways of doing the typical sites. But if it’s just a popular spot I don’t care lol I like a mixture of both. I always ask my Airbnb hosts what they enjoy about their city too. Last time I visited I went to Parc des Buttes chaumont on my hosts recommendation and just spent an hour or two wondering around enjoying the scenery and watching the locals. But on the flip side someone had told me not to visit Versailles as it was too touristy 😳 I couldn’t listen to that advice lol I had been wanting to see it since I was a teenager.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 04:19 PM
kja

You could, of course, stay at Mont Saint-Michel, even if you have to pay extra to do so.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 05:59 PM

It IS magical to spend a night on or near le Mont St-Michel, but at any rate I do admire your fortitude at getting yourself there and back without one of those horrible day tours from Paris. Also know that Rennes is a lovely city and could be worth spending some time in.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:14 PM

I disagree with StCirq that those day tours from Paris are "horrible". They can, in fact, be quite entertaining and efficient. Different strokes for different folks. It just depends on your budget and time available. I know people who prefer to see things on their own, but when we compare notes, they end up either not seeing everything that we see on tours, or not knowing what they saw. But they went, and are content with their choices.

I recently went to India. In researching places to see on my short visit, I found posters advising people not to bother with the Taj Mahal. I had to ask how one could advise people who might never go back again to skip one of the wonders of the world just because there would be hoards of tourists there. One has to know what his or her priorities are and deal with them within the parameters of time and money.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:23 PM
kja

Originally Posted by burta
...day tours from Paris ... can, in fact, be quite entertaining and efficient. Different strokes for different folks. It just depends on your budget and time available. I know people who prefer to see things on their own, but when we compare notes, they end up either not seeing everything that we see on tours, or not knowing what they saw. But they went, and are content with their choices.
Indeed, to each his/her own!

IME, what one learns and sees depends primarily on what research one is willing to do on one's own. Those of us who are willing to read and study and prepare in advance may not reap the same benefits from a tour as those who aren't willing to do so. And those of use who do our own research can do so without paying extra for a tour and at a pace that we choose based on our interest and knowledge. There are, I think, pros and cons to either choice. JMO.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

I agree w burta and kja it’s about personal preference and there are pros and cons to both.

While schedules aren’t out yet for the date I plan to go, going by the earliest trains I can see for 3 months from now still wouldn’t have me there til 11am. I think I could do it in one day but decided that since I really want to see it at night I will book a room to stay there which would allow me both to get my photography at night that I really wanted as well as be able to walk around and enjoy it when the crowds have home.
Thanks for the input.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 06:59 AM

You can certainly see MSM in a few hours, crowds willing to get into Basilica but a great move staying overnight - lots of hotels on mainland opposite island and best vews of island at night. Better value hotels than those on island.

Group tours 'horrible' - let's not paint everyone's desires with the same brush' some would never go to MSM without a tour and for them that is what they like as burta says.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 02:05 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=mere...w=1920&bih=949

Often panned as overpriced but the Mere Poulard restaurant nevertheless dishes up their iconic Mere Poulard omelettes:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -