3 Days in Florence

Jul 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

3 Days in Florence

Hello,

We have 3 days in Florence in which I'd like to see Cinque Terra, take a drive through Tuscany (which route??? maybe Seina?) and see the leather market and David and the famous herbal store??? What else? Help me plot the plan please.
Jul 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Hold on there partner...Don't try to plan too much or over plan. You can do what you are proposing but it will be hectic, a day CT, a day Tuscany and a day in Florence but realize that you won't really experience a lot, you'll just be "tagging" it. I would think about spending 3 day in one of those places.
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM
SHADRACH

I agree with Buongiorno.

When you say 3 days, does that mean you're staying in Florence for 4 nights?

If you are staying for 4 nights, you could spend the second day in Florence, take a bus to Siena the third day (www.trainspa.it), and a train to Riomaggiore or Monterosso to visit Cinque Terra the fourth day (www.trenitalia.com)

If I were you, I'd use what's left of the first day to rest, because that itinerary is quite hectic.

If you decide to visit those three places, focus on few landmarks, otherwise you'll be frustrated at the end of the trip.

It's a doable itinerary, but I personally wouldn't do it because of what Buongiorno said before.

Jul 31st, 2006, 07:19 AM

Related to Islandmom's post-- my husband and I will be traveling to Florence around the 20th of September. We want to spend a day in Cinque Terra. What is the best way to get there? To which train station should we travel from Florence? I have been to CT once before but I cannot remember which station we traveled to. Thanks!
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:05 AM

The Florence-Cinque Terre train requires a stop and changeover on Pisa. From there, you can take a train to La Spezia and connections or continue on the same train to Monterosso.
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:14 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

>We have 3 days in Florence in which I'd like to see Cinque Terra, take a drive through Tuscany (which route??? maybe Seina?)...<

That means you have one day in Florence.

Hi Law

Trains to Monterosso are at www.trenitalia.com.

Jul 31st, 2006, 08:56 AM

Buongiorno is right!
In my opinion even three days are not enough for Florence, but depeend on your interes.
I suggest you to decide what you would like to visit and based no this, select only one location for whole this time.
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:28 AM

I see where we can leave from Florence SM and arrive in La Spezia directly....is that possible or must you stop in Piza? Also, is arriving in La Spezia better than Monteresso??
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:31 AM

The famous herbal store? Do you mean Officina Profumo Farmaceutica Santa Maria Novella? You could spend three days in there alone.

It is very difficult to find, by the way. Only the cognoscenti know the path.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:33 AM

I agree with the others that with only 3 days in Florence you should concentrate on Florence; going all the way to Cinque Terre for a day is waste of time and will do no justice to that gorgeous area and only take time away from Florence . Take 2 days in Florence, see how much you are able to see in that time, and then if you absolutely feel you have to, then one day going into the countryside to the Siena area. Also, see what the weather, heat and crowds are like on the day. If you are going to be there in August and on a Sunday and/or its 90 F (which it could well be) you may not feel like taking a bus ride with tons of other people to another crowded town. There are walks in the countryside around Florence that could be a much better alternative, and give you a chance to really see the countryside. Or you could just go up to Fiesole and take in the stunning views and have a relaxing lunch and walk around (or back down to Florence) from there. For walks, get a hold of a copy Landscapes of Tuscany published by Sunflower books. Their website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk. It is a great walking guide, and they have suggested driving routes as well if you have a car.

If you haven't already, consider making a reservation for the Accademaia Museum (where the David is located) and the Uffizi (where a lot of other great art is located).You can reserve Uffizi and Accademia museums by calling 011 39 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time, at least a day before your visit and ideally at least a few days in advance for a better selection. Florence is 6 hours ahead of EST. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes you'll get an entry slot (15-min window) and a six-digit confirmation number. You don't pay anything at the time of the booking. Using the same phone number, you can reserve in advance for the Bargello, Medici Chapels, and Pitti Palace. This reservation service costs only about 1.60 euro per reservation for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services. IF you show up and there is no line, you DON"T have to pay the 1.60, you can just go to the regular ticket office.

The "herbal" store I believe you mean is the Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy, it is right near the train station in Florence and near the church and square of the same name, and very easy to find, address and website are below. With a map of Florence, locate the train station and the Piazza Santa Maria Novella which are in west of the Duomo, and the street at the southern end of the Piazza is Via della Scala.

Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella
16 Via della Scala
Florence
www.smnovella.com

It is very interesting to walk around inside, but if you don't want to lug all the stuff around Italy or home in your suitcase (no carry on liquids), you can order most products on line in the US or go to the great LAFCO shop in lower Manhattan in NYC. They also have official outlets in Italy and Europe, check their website above. See info and websites below for US outlets.

LAFCO New York
285 Lafayette Street
Tel. 001-212-9250001
Fax 001-212-9258960
http://www.lafcony.com/

http://www.lusciouscargo.com/Merchan...egory_Code=SMN

http://www.bellocchio.com/
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:57 AM

If you stay longer than a day in Florence:

You must see:

The Duomo- Gothic cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore
The fourth largest cathedral in the world, it is the spiritual heart of Florence. The building work took around 200 years, and its green, pink and white marble fasade contributes to the chromatic harmony of the square; its imposing dome is visible for miles around. The interior houses many masterpieces including Michelangelo’s Pietà, frescoes by Paolo Uccello and Andrea del Castagno rub shoulders with terracottas by Luca Della Robbia and the sarcophagus of Saint Zanobi. It is possible to climb up to the top from where there is an extraordinary view over Florence.

The Piazza della Signoria
Florence’s most famous square, it was used for centuries as a backdrop by artists, then by film-makers. The former political centre of the city, it includes some of Florence’s main historic buildings and contains the most admired sculptures in the world.

Palazzo Pitti
One of the most visited sites on the southern bank of the Arno, this palace was designed by Brunelleschi for the Pitti family, rivals of the Medicis. It's a huge and imposing building, and a treasure house of the Medici family's massive art collection including works by Raphael, Filippo Lippi, Tintoretto, Veronese and Rubens, all hung in lavishly decorated rooms.The palace also houses a gallery of modern art and a costume collection.

Ponte Vecchio
Old Bridge, has been built in 1345, this beautiful bridge, is only one who survived second word war, and it is the oldest bridge in Florence, souranded with many shops and goldsmiths. There is a secret passageway which is connected with Uffizi Gallery and the Pitti Palace, today big touristic attraction.

The Basilica of Santa Croce
Geometrically coloured marble decorates the building's fasade, but the real treats lie inside, where many famous Florentines lie in peace. The walls are lined with tombs, and 276 tombstones pave the floor. The church's most famous inhabitants are Michelangelo, Macchiavelli, Galileo and Bardi. Its various chapels feature works of art by Giotto and della Robbia, and the serene cloisters were designed by Brunelleschi.

The church of San Lorenzo
The former parish church of the Medici family in Florentine Renaissance style, built from 1420 by Brunelleschi. Donatello, who designed the bronze pulpits, lies in one of the chapels. Passing through the cloister, you reach the Laurenziana Library, commissioned to house the family's huge collection of books and featuring a sublime staircase by Michelangelo. The Medici Chapels are sumptuously decorated with precious marble and semiprecious stones; the most powerful Medicis were buried here. The New Sacristy was designed by Michelangelo and contains his Night and Day, Dawn and Dusk sculptures.

Boboli gardens
Adjacent to the Palazzo Pitti, this garden is one of the most famous in the world. It was created from 1549 by Tribolo then by Vasari, Ammannati and Buontalenti. Its fountains, lakes, geometric flowerbeds and terraces lined with trees wonderfully represent the Renaissance style. At the top of the hill stands the Forte di Belvedere built in a star shape by Michelangelo with a magical view over Florence.

Cascine park
This huge farming estate, situated between the Arno and the Mugnone rivers, which belonged to the Medici family, was turned into a park by Giuseppe Manetti towards the end of the 18th century. The enthronement of Ferdinand III took place here in 1791.

Museums & Galleries:

Galleria degli Uffizi
This former palace of the Medici houses one of the most impressive art collections in the world. It shows the evolution of Italian painting from the primitives to the 17th century. Worth seeing: Botticelli’s’ Birth of Venus, Titian’s Venus of Urbino, Michelangelo’s Holy Family or the Portrait of the Duke of Urbino by Piero della Francesca. http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it

Museo Nazionale del Bargello
It houses sculptures by Michelangelo, Donatello, Verrocchio and various collections of enamelware, jewellery, weapons ...
http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it

Galleria dell’Accademia
19th century statues, Byzantine paintings, Russian icons, paintings by Florentine Renaissance painters, notably Botticelli’s Madonnas and above all sculptures by Michelangelo, including the original of the famous David.

Galleria Pitti
Gallery of modern art, museum of silverware and Galleria.

Museo della Casa Fiorentina Antica in Palazzo Davanzati
A museum of Florentine domestic life: furniture, fabrics, domestic objects from the 14th to 18th century.

More about shopping in Florence:
http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=192