3 days in Athens, can somebody help me draft an itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I'm planning our Eurotrip coming up and we have 3 days in Athens (2.5 days if you exclude airport time) . can anybody please help me plan an itinerary with bus information... acropolis would be the main thing, but other than that... Nothing is really jumping out to me right now... How much are cab rides there anyway???? thanks... I need to get organized and detailed...
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
How many hotel nights do you have?
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

@kybourbon, we have 2 hotel nights....
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 07:52 PM

If you are staying in the Plaka area, unless you have mobility issues, you won't need a cab. There is a great walk you can take up to the acropolis thru the white village, the Plaka side of the acropolis. You can find a description of the walk in Lonely Planet. It is not far and then when you are finished seeing the acropolis you can walk down the other side and continue on the walk, a great way to see the Plaka area. From the Plaka you can easily walk to the Kolonaki area for less touristy restaurants & stores and to the Psiri area.
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM

I feel a traveler is more prepared when looking on different resources than using just the one traveler forum. While I do not like referring to competitive websites when posting here, I find the Trip Advisor Athens a great forum... If you check the Top Questions on the right hand side there, you'll find lots of usefull information and sample itineraries.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 12:36 AM

As already written, most main sites are in or near a pedestrianised area, and Athens has a good metro system. It's easy to explore on your own, but a day or half-day walking tour would help orient you to the city.

The http://www.athens-walks.com tour company comes highly recommended, and is run by a former Evzone (palace guard). Some of the walking tours take you to parts of Athens that most tourists never see. I'm told the food tour is very popular.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>we have 2 hotel nights.<<<

Then you don't really have three days (or even 2.5). Two hotel nights really only gives you one sightseeing day and perhaps part of arrival day. If arrival day is from an overnight flight, you will be jet-lagged the first day. Day 2 would be sightseeing and Day 3 would be departure to your next location.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
A second for Athens-Walks. We tookmthe food tour with Kostas; it was fun and so informative.
However,mwith only one day in Athens you should visit the Acropolis, the Acropolis Museum and the Agora which is covered with the Acropolis ticket.
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 07:58 AM

I was in the same position with you, more or less. I only had a few days and so many places to see. I visited Athens 2 months ago due to a business trip, and some days before my flight i did a little research about restaurants and bars, and i stubbled upon this guide, with 5 places in Athens that people seem to love.I couldn't manage to visit all the recommended places, but the ones i did, were splendit. The guide also included a 10euro coupon for airport transportation services, which i used and i found pretty amazing as my driver provided me a ton of insight about the city's attactions and a quick ride to my hotel in a reasonable price.
Here's the link to the guide: http://goo.gl/PPkmtS
I know that five places are not much, but i think it's a good start. Athens is great. Have a nice and safe trip
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks EstelleGirard! Your coupon is helpful! Thanks for all the input!