3 DAY ROME SIGHT ITINARARY NEEDED

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Fodors i was able to do the itinaray for venice, mykanos and athens. If anyone has any sight recomendations I will gladly accept. Rome has so many options!
Can someone tell me what places are must see's? We arent that interested in Churches. We will be in Rome for three days.
I would also liek to get in some shopping and at least one night out.
Please help.
Also does anyone know how long the train is from Rome to Venice?
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Lolley97
Let me suggest that with the help you say you've received that you now do a little investigating on your own.
If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations you will find lots of fodors basic information on Rome, including the most popular sights.
Perhaps you could narrow down the things that interest you?

With three days, I'd suggest
the Vatican (half day, at least)
the Forum and Colosseum (ditto)
A walk from the Spanish Steps to the Pantheon, stopping at the Trevi Fountain
(there's 2-4 hours, if you include shopping/browsing)
A stroll and lunch or a snack around the Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori area
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:43 AM

My husband and I just got back from a Translatlantic Cruise for our honeymoon ending with two days in Rome. This was the best part of the trip. We found with the help of an American a local restaurant that has no sign, where they speak no English, and they just start bringing you food. It is however, fixed price, and as I understand it was rated a top restaurant at some time. It is owned by a very old Italian woman named Anna and her son now helps her. I believe the entire dinner was thirty five euros. It was our best evening experience in Rome, as it was filled with mostly locals. I still have the address since we just got home last week. If you are interested and I am allowed to I can post it. It does not open until either 8 or 8:30 pm. It was one of the highlights of our trip.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Oh, I just checked your HELP!!! thread.
I see you've already been offered the
suggestion to go to the Destinations page and do a little narrowing down on what interests you.
What did you come up with?
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:52 AM

There is so much to see in Rome that we spent one of our days just wandering the streets with a guidebook for when we wanted to stop and see what something was. Quite honestly my husband has lived abroad and seen much more than I have. We are both in our thirties. The day spent wandering was actually not a wasted day and it was amazing the sites that we took in just by walking around.

The second day we went on a guided tour with a tour company for people who don't like regular tours operated by someone a friend knew. I would rank both days as equally good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry if you don't have an itenary when you get there, you will develop one quickly.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:22 PM

annakay30--I would love the address of the restaurant you suggest!
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Annakay30...Dying to know the name of the restaurant as well!! Do post info. Thank you.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I wish I could eat at that resteraunt, but my husband and I keep kosher.
As for Rome...We are staying at the Hotel Quirnle. It is costing us 238E a night. Can anyone recomment a hotel that is under 200 a night, near the spanish steps that is just as nice?
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM

Do you mean the Hotel Quirinale on Via Nazionale?

I've read here about the Hotel San Carlo, and it's highly recommended.

I liked Hotel Julia, but it's not a 4* hotel.

If you want to be near kosher restaurants, how about looking for a place near Campo dei Fiori?
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM

I believe the name is da Alfreda e Ada, although you won't find it posted anywhere. It is at 14 Via Banchi Nuovi. The telephone number is 6878842, although I'm not sure if you can get through by phone. There is no sign and again it does not open until 8:30 pm. The first thing they bring you is bread and a carafe of white wine, we asked for red per the advice of friends. Apparently the family makes this themselves. Then they bring you the pasta that Mama Anna has cooked that day. Next they bring the main course. They day that we were there they had three choices. A beef dish, a veal dish, a chicken dish, and another beef dish with beans. After you have eaten that you are brought sugar cookies that if you have red wine you are supposed to dip in the wine. This is not a fancy place. There is butcher paper over the marble tables and you have paper napkins. You use the same fork and knife for all courses. You also use the same kind of glass for water and for wine. It's kind of like going to your grandma's for dinner. You eat what she found at market that day that was the freshest. She also does not accept credit cards. If you are a party of two you will very likely end up sitting at a table next to people that you don't know. It is a very friendly authentic atmosphere. I have to say it was one of the most fun and different meals of my entire life. At the end of your meal, Anna's son will come to your table and write your total on the butcher paper. Also, don't be suprised if musicians stroll through. These do not seem to be the gypsies that you hear about, but the ones that come to play for Mama.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!!
Can anyone reccomend a place near Campo dei Fiori?