2nd thoughts on pays vasque

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am back for more advice on a trip that I thought was settled.....

10 days in Paris, train to Brive and rental car to Sarlat for a week's rental.

That is a done deal.

Our plan from there was drive to Bordeaux, train and bus to San Sebastian for 3 nights, pick up another car rental to drive between SS and Bilbao with 2 nights on the coast and one night in Bilbao. Bus or flight to Madrid with train to Toledo for 2 nights, train to Cordoba for 2 nights, train to Madrid for 3 nights and then fly home.

We will be gone October 22 to November 22. We know the Dordogne will be quiet so have rented in Sarlat anticipating there will be more activity in a larger town. We have secured reservation for Font du Gaume and hope to see Pech Merle as well.

I have received notice from several hotels between SS and Bilbao that they are closed for the season during our trip and nervous that things will be too quiet for us after a week in a quiet Dordogne.

We have travelled in Spain previously: Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Granada, Ronda, Nerja.
This trip it is important for us to spend some time in Toledo and Cordoba.

So, wondering if we should shelve the SS part of the trip and use the 6 days elsewhere. We don't mind rainy weather but do like to be active. Any advice?
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:40 PM

I did a quick search on Venere, and they do show hotels available in November.

http://www.venere.com/spain/san-sebastian/

See if any of these fit the bill.

SS is a beautiful city, a city I've made 2 special detours to go to.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM

I've never known the País Vasco to be quiet anytime of the year, including October and November. The 23rd Horror and Fantasy Film Festival takes place from October 27 until November 2. What more could you want? The San Sebastián Gastronomika takes place 7-10 October.
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:47 PM

San Sebastián never closes down, a fantastic city anytime of the year. You could easily find one hundred hotels open in San Sebastián and Bilbao in October/November.

I would perhaps spend all the time in SS and Bilbao, another city with a great and very different vibe, but there are of course lots of small and quiet towns to visit along the coast between SS and Bilbao (Zarautz, Getaria, Zumaya, Mutriku, Lekeitio etc).
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:17 AM
ira

Hey CJ,

>...things will be too quiet for us after a week in a quiet Dordogne.

What are you looking for?

Old May 18th, 2012, 03:27 AM

Check out Hotel Zubieta in Leiketio
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like we should have no fears with our original plan.

Rastaguytoday, should have mentioned that we have rented an apartment in SS http://www.friendlyrentals.com/en/ap...ent-2354-5.htm
We couldn't find a hotel in our price range Nov. 9-11, Robert2533 - is there another event in SS at that time?

We had no luck with Hotel Zubieta, weber6560, it is closed for the season. Any other suggestions for a hotel between SS and Bilbao?

Kimhe, I will search your comments on a Bilbao hotel. We usually are not one nighters but in order to get 2 nights on the coast we sacrificed another night in Bilbao. Do you think 2 nights Bilbao/1night coast would be a better choice?

Ira, just meant that in Sarlat, it is too late for canoeing and some of the caves are wrapped up for the season. We jave rented bikes for our week there and unless it is a downpour we will do some riding. We are off season travellers so like it quiet but tend to do city travelling when the weather is predictably crummy.

Any other comments appreciated.

Ira, really meant closure of restaurants, the caves, and not as many outdoor activities (too late for canoeing) although we have set up a bike rental in Sarlat.
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the redundancy in the last post. The ipad has it's drawbacks!
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:40 AM

San Sebastián is very much on the coast, fabulous city beaches, and spectacular walks along the coast in both directions just out of the city center.

So, I would have done one day in a small village along the coast towards Bilbao, and then spend two nights on vibrant Bilbao itself.

From San Sebastián you can even walk to the small and pictoresque village Donibane/San Juan some 5 km east. Excellent seafood restaurants at the waterfront with great value three course lunch menus with wine included for some 15-20€. The local fish soup is to die for. The bus leaves from Plaza de Guipúzcoa in Central San Sebastián about once an hour and takes some 30 mins. If you walk here along the stunningly beautiful coast, it will take you a couple of hours: http://www.euroresidentes.com/eurore...s/san-juan.htm

Restaurante Txulotxo: http://www.restaurantetxulotxo.com/index.html

All six restaurants in Donibane: http://www.etxekar.net/donigastronomia.html#
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:53 AM

I think that two nights in the coast is a bit much during november ... or you could opt for the Tamarises in Getxo, right by the beach but near to a metro station to get to Bilbao.

Bye, Cova
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:53 AM

Just make Bilbao a day trip and save yourself the time with the hotel switch. I think Bilbao is eminently doable as a nice day trip from San Sebastian or anywhere else in the area.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Agree with Cova (good hotel election)...and disagree with Woyzeck. There´s a lot about Bilbao...but it´s still undiscovered.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Mikel, we can keep for ourselves and our friends. Just today one of my Madrid friends was talking glowingly of La Alhondiga. His kid went mad running across all those different columns ...

Bye, Cova
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Mikelg and others, yes, now set to spend 1-2 nights in Bilbao. Have looked at tripadvisor, Maribel's notes and this forum. Still not sure where to stay. Any help with choosing a hotel appreciated.
Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2012, 07:28 PM

In Bilbao, you can check out the Gran Domine Bilbao and Hotel Carlton, both highly recommended by Maribel.
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:40 PM

From my blogs, as a local:

http://mugalari.wordpress.com/2010/0...ar-the-basics/

http://mugalari.wordpress.com/2010/0...ar-the-basics/

http://www.blogseitb.us/basquetouris...o-my-hometown/
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:42 PM

sorry, I enter one twice and forgot this one...

http://www.blogseitb.us/basquetouris...asque-country/
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Spent the morning reserving for this trip. Decided on 2 nights at Hotel Palacio Oxangoiti in Lekeitio with day trips. one night in Bilbao at Hotel Miro. 2 nights in Cordoba at Hostal Santa Ana. 3 nights in Madrid at Hostal Acapulco. Toledo for 2 nights not yet booked. Any suggestions appreciated for Toledo appreciated.

Am wondering if the Balanciaga Museum is interesting and if El Bosque Pintado is still open to the public? Also saw a reference for the cave of santimamine and wondering if this might be of interest? I am sorry we only have 1 night in Bilbao but maybe another trip incorporating points west in the near future.

Thank you for all your feedback. I now feel totally comfortably with our choice to visit Pays Vasque.
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Another question. Have just checked for flights from Bilbao to Madrid. Looks like the best price is Easy Jet or Ryan Air. Does anyone have a preference? Is one beter than another for baggage? We are take 21 inch carryon's and a personal messenger bag. Thank you.
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:25 AM

The Hotel Oxangoiti in Lekeitio is wonderful! I would probably just spend 1 night in Lekeitio and 2 in Bilbao as it will be a little quiet this time of year in Lekeitio. But either way you can't go wrong. Do you still plan on 3 nights for San Sebastian?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -