24 HOURS IN MILAN

May 27th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Meredith

24 HOURS IN MILAN

we arrive around noon and must leave for the airport at around noon the next day. What would you recommend?

May 28th, 2001, 01:01 AM
anniel

I spent a day in Milan on an organised excursion. There were about four highlights. The first is the cathedral which is most imposing. The second was the very chic galleria shopping mall which was filled with exclusive goods that I certainly could not afford. However, it did remind us that Milan is the fashion centre of Italy and I love to rubberneck at the smartly dresses inhabitants in other countries. The third famous landmark is the Milan Opera house, which we were to visit on a guided tour. However, they were holding a rehearsal and we did not get there. If I returned I would try to get in. Another failure we had was in our attempt to see Milan's greatest artwork: Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper which is in the refectory of Santa Maria delle Grazie. I was wrongly informed that you did not have to book, only to get there to find out that indeed booking is required. Someone else may know the details of how to go about this.
The last place I would recommend is the Cimiterio Monumentale which is crammed with the most amazing mauseleums; Toscanini's tomb is in there. I really enjoyed this part of the excursion.
However, I realise that in 24 hours you may not be able to visit so much and maybe in order to get the best tour of the city it may be best to take a guided tour or just stroll around the centre and see the duomo the opera house and the galleria.I always use Fodor's books or the Cadogan guides. the latter has a very good section on Milan. May I say after all this that Milan is not really a favourite city of mine...but maybe others will disagree.!

Jun 5th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Claudia

Have a pizza in Piazza Santo Stefano sitting outside at Cento Pizze or Pizza Pazza, then visit the Giardini della Guastalla.
Visit the Duomo, the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, Piazza della Scala (Teatro alla Scala is the "Opera House") and the lovely area of Brera, then the Castello Sforzesco and its park. Make sure to visit the Food Specialty store "Peck". All of this places are in the Duomo area. I live in Milan, and this is what I would do if I had a day off (except for Sunday when most shops are closed).

Jun 6th, 2001, 06:08 AM
paul

In late October and early November my wife and I will be arriving and departing to and from Milan...so we have two, rather than one day. Your suggestions are helpful.
Where should we stay? We will be arriving in the evening and will be tired. On our return we are likely to try to do most of our touring in Milan.
I would prefer the $100-200 US range.

Paul

Jun 6th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Claudia

Paul: Milan is pretty crowded in Autumn due to fashion events and expositions in the Fiera Area, therefore i would suggest you to book a room well in advance.
You can find a lot of information here http://milan.realhotels.com/City_Center_Hotels.htm
Hotel Bonaparte Radisson SAS is excellent, very conveniently located, in walking distance from Cadorna train station connecting Milan to the Malpensa airport and from Duomo. Should be around 200$ per night, but it's a top end accomodation (keep in mind that Milan is the most expensive town in Italy, but US dollar is now very strong).
Hotel Canada (for less than 150$ per night) is a very good choice. It's connected to Cadorna by bus, in walking distance from Duomo and in Porta Romana area, which is packed with nice restaurants. Try the pizzerias in PIazza S.Stefano, or Ristorante Al Buon Convento (better if you book) http://www.albuonconvento.it/ or Ristorante Tencitt in via Laghetto (real milanese food) http://www.tencitt.com/.
All these places have just one defect: they don't have a non-smoking area. In Italy people smoke a lot, if you're looking for some suggestions for restaurants with no smoking areas check out www.smokefreeworld.com
my suggestions in Milan downtown area are: Rigolo Largo Treves ph 0286463220 and Anema e Cozze (Neapolitan cuisine) Via Palermo 0286461646. or take a cab and go to La Pobbia, Via Gallarate 92 ph 0238006641
http://www.todine.net/lapobbia/
October-November is a very rainy period. I would plan an "inside" tour of Milan: the Duomo, Duomo museum, La Rinascente shopping mall, the Basilica od S.Ambrogio, S. Maria delle Grazie and the Cenacolo (you have to book in advance: ph. 199.199.100 - I don't if you'll be able to call this number from abroad), the Pinacoteca di Brera and Poldi Pezzoli Museum.

Jun 7th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Sue

We stopped in Milan a couple years ago for one reason only - The Duomo. You must go up to the roof. It is by far my favorite cathedral in Europe. It is amazing. And of course you'll want to see the The Last Supper.

We stayed at the Hotel Cavour. I think it was around $200, and we were within walking distance of everything we wanted to see. Nice rooms.