Reload this Page >

24 Hours in Bruges--Best Way to Spend Our Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 09:24 PM
amanda

My husband and I are leaving for London and Paris in a couple of weeks, and we've decided to squeeze Bruges (which neither one of us has seen) into our itinerary for one day and night. From everything I've heard about that city, I'm fully expecting to want to spend more time there, so I'll just consider this trip a teaser to whet my appetite for a prolonged visit later. That said, how would you organize a 24 hour visit to Bruges? What do you think is the best combination of sightseeing, museums, and soaking up the atmosphere in a short time? <BR>Normally, I can manic-sightsee with the best of them, but on this trip I'll be over 6 months pregnant, so I've had to slow down a bit. I know there'll be sites I can't get to, but I'd hate to miss a must-see. <BR> <BR>A couple of other questions: <BR> <BR>About the belfry, which I'm dying to climb for what I understand is a spectacular view: do you think I'll be -- ahem -- too large to make it up there? An indelicate question, I know, but some towers in Europe are more difficult to maneuver than others, so is this a "roomier" one, or are we talking St. Peter's the-walls-are-closing-in-I'm-going-to-die kind of effect (got a little claustrophobic there)? Please bear in mind also that I have a tiny bit of a balance problem lately, a bit like a weebil-wooble (remember those?), and I'd hate to take a header down the stairs onto the unsuspecting souls behind me. So, dare I try it, or should I just send my husband up and make him take a roll of pictures for me? <BR> <BR>On a more practical note, we're planning on taking the Thalys from Brussels to Paris, but I'm not sure how far in advance I need to reserve -- I had problems with reservations on the TGV before, but haven't done Thalys yet. Ideally, I'd like to make the reservation after we get to Bruges(in the early afternoon) for the next day's late morning or early afternoon train from Brussels. Since we haven't been to Bruges before, we don't really know how much time to plan there and we'd like to see some of the city first so we can decide if we'd rather shave a little time off Paris and spend more time in Bruges or vice-versa. Is this feasible? <BR> <BR>And, for the most important question of all (especially for a pregnant lady): what's your favorite restaurant/chocolate shop? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 01:55 AM
Jo

The Bell Tower - it is a rather narrow spiralling staircase. If there are not many tourists there, and you are free to take it slowly you shouldn't have a problem though. Brugge wasn't that busy when I was there last (early October last year). I'd definitely do a canal cruise. Great way to see and hear the history with minimal effort. Theres hundreds of chocolate shops all everywhere... divine!

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 03:36 AM
Mary Ann

As above definitely a canal cruise and the chocolate shops. Also consider belgian waffels at a cafe in the market area and window shopping the lace makers.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 09:17 AM
elvira

Ditto on the canal cruise. <BR>We did Paris&gt;Brussels one February; I ordered the tickets ahead, but the train was not even 1/2 full. Thalys has a website: http://www.thalys.co

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 09:54 AM
martha python

Visit the Church of our Lady, then the Gruuthuse Museum (the order is important, trust me, but I won't tell you why as it would ruin the fun). <BR>Chocolate is a deeply personal issue, and the best plan is to try it in many places on day one, then buy more of the winner before you leave. <BR>The shops in Bruges have a lot of christening gowns for sale, if you're in the market for one.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 12:16 PM
LEE

We just got back from a trip to Brugge (we also visited Brussels and Amsterdam). We arrived late in the afternoon and stayed for two nights and one full day. We found this to be just the right amount of time. It is a wonderful city. I would suggest you spend the day "following your nose". The canal ride should be a part of your day-only takes 1/2 hour. We did not climb the Belfry. Be sure to bring an umbrella as the weather is very changable this time of year. Be sure you sample the Belgium chocolate. It is "too die for". There seemed to be a chocolate store on every block. Belgium is also noted for its mussels and frites.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 03:50 PM
M & J

Ah, the chocolate. We suggest you sample the morsels at our favorite of favorites....Maitre Chocolatier Verbeke, located just a block off Market Square at Geldmuntstraat 25. They are sadly closed on Monday and Sundays. The best !!!!

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 09:51 PM
karie

You will love Bruges...try not to get so wrapped up in seeing lot of "sights". Just hanging out in Bruges is wonderful, walking, sitting in a sidewalk cafe, listening to the bells, yes, take a canal ride, maybe visit the lace school (note: much of the lace in the shops is made in China, but I bought a piece at the school made by one of the local ladies), buy some chocolates, visit the Michaelangelo in the little church, the Bruges Madonna (the only Michaelangelo in Belgium), just delight in that wonderful, very small city. Enjoy!

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 12:37 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>You MUST have a Belgian strawberry waffle loaded with whipped cream! Usually offered as a dessert. And I agree with Karie about Brugge being the perfect little town to just hang out, wander and browse.

Old Oct 10th, 1999, 08:05 PM
amanda

Thanks for all the great responses! I appreciate all the specific suggestions -- it seems like everybody agrees on the canal cruise, and also we'll do the churches/museum mentioned and try to get in a lace school. (Martha, I love the christening gown idea! We're *hopefully* finding out the baby's sex the day before we leave, so I definitely plan on doing some shopping while we're in Europe!) <BR> <BR>Everybody seems to confirm what I've found from doing my own research, namely that it sounds like a gem of a place to simply enjoy -- the best sight just seeing the city itself. It sounds like the perfect way to spend a lovely, relaxing 24 hours between the hustle and bustle of London and Paris. <BR> <BR>And now, I have to go eat again: all this talk of chocolate, mussles, frites, belgian waffles (strawberry, of course), and more chocolate has made me hungry! (M&J, thanks for giving me the name of your favorite - fortunately, we're in Bruges on a Tuesday and Wednesday, so we'll definitely go by. But I'll still have to try Martha's scientific survey. That's one blessing of being pregnant -- there's little chance I'll get full before I've tried everything once!