24 hours in Amersterdam

Search

24 hours in Amersterdam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 hours in Amersterdam

We are a group of 7 adults and 3 pre-teens who will be stopping over in Amersterdam in July. We'd like to stay near the airport; and would welcome ideas for a relatively easy day-trip or walking/biking tour(we'll be resting before heading back home - after a working mission trip to the Ukraine). Perhaps even a nice train excursion might work. None of us have been there, although we do have a person with an art degree, so she may head off to a museum. Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Can't really help you with tours. But I remember it being very easy to take the train from the airport to the city, and the train station is right downtown, and from there it is very easy to walk or use public transportation to get most places. What you do would mostly depend on what you like to do, there are some incredible museums, and I would not miss the Anne Frank House, and it sounds like your whole group might like one of the canal tours.
Good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:57 PM

I suggest you stay in Haarlem. See my post a few minutes ago on the thread "beach - Netherlands/Belgium" for what to do. I think you'll appreciate it more than Amsterdam given your group make-up. Try the Hotel Joops or Hotel Raekse. They are basic one star places in the center of town.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Hi, just got back from Amsterdam last week..We did a bike tour with
letsgo-amsterdam.com..I don't know if they have one on the dates you will be there, but it was awesome..Check it out anyhow..
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM

For what it's worth, I have stayed at the Sheraton Hotel at the airport on two separate occasions, and took the train into the city. Easy & convenient. (I had a 20 hour layover, so I just walked around & went shopping!)