23 day iternerary to Italy need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are landing in Milan going to Bellagio for 3 days taking a train to Venice for 3 days, then down to Florence for 4 days.Is Florence a good homebase for Assisi,Sienna,San Gimignano,and Pisa. Would you reccomend renting a car to these areas or use trains.My next issue is ,would I be better off going north to cinque terre,which Iwant to fit in on this trip,or go south into the Sorrento,and Positano? Iwill have 13 days remaining.How many days in Rome,is 4 days reasonable. Any suggestions please inform me.Your thoughts and ideas mean alot I'm a person that respects experience.Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM

What time of the year are you going?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

We are leaving sept 21 and returning October14,I am concerned I am a vet of Vietnam.I was a prisoner of war and this will be a challange there are a lot of things in my life I have a hard time with.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Bellago and Venice for 3 days each sounds good.

If you only spend 4 days in Florence and take day trips you won't have much time to explore Florence so I would suggest spending a few more days here.

The train to Pisa is a good option but the bus to Siena is better since the train station is more than a walk from the old town. The bus let you off at a more convenient spot. Train to Assisi and then a cab to the basilica. I don't remember seeing a train station in San Gimignano and don't know where the closest station is so perhaps bus would be better here.

Since you're basing yourself in Florence I think public transport would be a better option than a car since it would be less stressful than trying to drive in and out of Florence, find your way to the towns, and find parking.

Rome has so much to offer that 4 days might not be enough. It depends on how much you want to explore and what you want to see. If only the highlights then 4 days is fine. My opinion is that any major city requires a minimum of 5 days to a week.

As to the remaining days...where are you flying home from. Milan? If so, CT would make more sense. However, in October I would opt for Sorrento since it's bound to be a bit warmer since it's farther south. You could explore the CT, Pompeii, Naples from a Sorrento base which would give lots of sightseeing options.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Adrienne,Iam flying home from Rome and will certainly increase my stay in Rome by two nights.Your thoughts on transportation were great,for some reason I never considered a bus but Iwill. the bus is a nice change,and an opportunity to practice my Italian. Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:16 AM
ira

Hi lil,

Late Sept, 1st week of October is good weather for the Amalfi Coast. I suggest 5 days to a week for a visit there.

YOu might find what we did for 3 weeks in Italy about the same time of year helpful: Ira’s Trip Report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:44 AM

I consider myself to have 'experience' with European travel. I’m also biased.

Biased in favor of auto travel instead of using trains and buses, the only exceptions being in cities or traveling solo.

The freedom to roam the countryside and the flexibility with time that a car offers is invaluable when on a holiday trip. You’ve said that you have a hard time with some things; I strongly feel that having a car will simplify everything for you.

With your itinerary in mind, try this: After a few days in Venice, rent a car and use it until you reach Rome and then give it up. Visit Florence from a spot nearby in a scenic Tuscan town.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip!

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Just re-read my post. I meant to say explore the AC (Amalfi Coast) from Sorrento, not the CT.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Ira, I just got home and Iam going to check out your site immediately.Thank you I have read many of your messages and will look forward to your iternerary. Thank you for your time experience and knowledge .
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Lilminkey

It is quite easy to visit Pisa from Florence by train. But as someone else mentioned, you will not see Florence ( a wonderful city for art, architecture, churces, food, scenery and more) with so many day trips.

May I suggest staying in Siena for a few nights and day tripping to San Gimignano from there?

I'm not sure how I would work Assisi into this itinerary... I like Umbria very much, and on a 23 day trip, I might make a stop for a few nights in Perugia or Assisi, seeing both towns, and charming little Spello. In fact, Assisi would be the place to stay, as it is between Spello and Perugia.

So:
Bellagio......3 nights
Venice........3
Florence......3 (side trip to Pisa)
Siena.........2 (see SG while there)
Assisi........2
Positano......5 (Sorrento, Pompei,Capri)
Rome..........5

What do you think? And thank you for serving.
Debbie
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Tuscan, that seems like a great itinerary.I can see you are in love with the hill towns .Ecrustians are in that region should I drive rather than a train.Are you aware of any burial sites in the area.you did such a good job lin ing everything out thank so much for your experience and neatness..
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:19 PM

I think you should just troll around Italy on the train.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Budman my question is what bud are you on!!!!