21 days itinerary South to North

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your input on the following still very flexable itinerary for 21 days in Italy September 2010 please. South to North. Can be reversed

Fly in to Naples – 2 days
Train to Rome – 5 days
Train to Pienza – 7 days Rent car
Train to CT – 2 days Vernazza
Train to Florence via Pisa – 2 days
Train to Venice - 3 days
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Start in Venice--2 good reasons---better temps in Sep and early departure flights are the rule.
There is no train to Pienza or even very close--think Siena. You really do want a car in south Tuscany.
If you start north, then see the CT before Tuscany.
Sounds like fun---good luck !
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Cant believe I have been out of circulation for 4 weeks!
Bob, Thanks for input Sorry for only replying now.
Early depature no problem . Our posible return flights (not yet booked)to South Africa are all late afternoon or evening departures.

"....temps in Sep" Please could you elaborate. This could be a deciding factor as I do not wish to pack for 2 "seasons"

"train to Pienza" has been resolved. Will rent car in either Rome or Florence for 7 days in Tuscany.(another post to follow for suggestions on agriturismo and planning of 7 days to follow)
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 06:02 AM

Just the obvious. I like to start north in the fall months to avoid lower temps in mid-Oct, but may not be a factor for your dates.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

The original plan was S to N due to the flights and rates, although this was always flexable.
I have now come across "Easyjet" Should we fly in to Venice, reverse itinerary:-
3 daysVenice,
3 days Florence,
2 days CT.,
5 daysTuscany/Umbria,
5 days Rome
2 days Naples/Sorrento
Lunch time connect from Naples to Venice with Easyjet ( aprox £20 ea)
Evening flight to RSA
3 Questions
1. Does this sound a better itinerary?
2. Does anybody have experience with Easyjet and if so
3. Are there any hidden cost that they do not divulge on their web site ie. Luggage restrictions
Isabella
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM

I think you first itinerary was better.

Don't pick up the rental car in Florence. Take the train from Rome to Orvieto or Chiusi to pick up your rental car. The drive from Orvieto to Pienza is 90 minutes and from Chiusi to Pienza only 45 minutes. The drive from Florence to Pienza is 2 hours, minimum, and you would be backtracking. The drive from Orvieto or Chiusi is quicker and easier. You can return the car in La Spezia, Pisa or in Chiusi and continue to CT by train.

Rental car-

autoeurope.com or kemwel.com

Be sure to look at the deductables. Kemwel has recently offered better prices with no deductables.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 07:02 AM

Can you find open jaws flights? Say, into Venice and out of Naples? That way, you avoid wasting vacation time backtracking.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi Isabel,

your new itinerary looks good, though i might reverse the CT and Florence. also it seems a long way to go to Naples/Sorrento for just two nights. I might "tweak" it as follows:

3 days Venice,
2 days CT,
6 days tuscany [for day trips to Florence/pisa/siena]
5 days Rome
4 days Naples/Sorrento

as for easyjet, we fly with them a lot. they more or less do what they say on the tin - not hidden charges, but a few extras. you will find that they now charge per item of checked luggage, [limited to 20kgs per person, though you may "pool", and have restrictions on the size [not weight] and no of items of carry-on luggage - one per person, including a handbag. these are more or less strictly enforced.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Zoecat for the rental link will investigate.
Tiziano from Agriturismo Casalprato, our base in Tuscany, did suggest taking the train to Chiusi. Do want to make a day trip to Orvieto. Might just leave Rome early for Orvieto, put luggage in storage , explore Orvieto, might even stay overnight, (I like a poster suggestion of a Monastery),pick up the rental and advance to Casalprato.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Mimar
Openjaw flights from RSA are almost double the price of a normal return , therefor not an option unfortunately
Annhig
Thanks. Each have 1 22" roller and each 1 carryon. I have a lovely Safari type multipocketed bag, which have travelled with me through many an African country.Does this sound within their restriction?
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM

hi again, isabel,

you will NOT be able to take your safari bag AND your carry-on onto the plane if you carry them separately.

my way round this is to make sure that there is anough room for my handbag within my carry-on, then stuff it in when we get to the gate, where they do the checking. once you are on board, you can take out your safari bag and stow the carry-on in the overhead locker.

make sure that your carry-on is within their size limits; if not, they wil make you put it in the hold, like they did with me when we went to Barcelona. they then charged twice what it would have cost if I'd booked to check it in when i bought the ticket. OTOH, coming back from Barcelona, they didn't care about the size of the carry-on, but the "one piece only" rule WAS strictly enforced, even applying to cameras, duty-free, sandwiches - there was LOTS of scrabbling about.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ann
Thanks for the info, I should have explained myself better. The canvas Safari bag is, when packed to the brim with camera, handbag stuffed inside, small toiletbag, maps, lots of odds and ends, measuring 10" x 18". I have just come acroos their site giving their restrictions, and it seems if I would be OK, but I best go and studdy it thoroughly
regards
Isabella
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM

yes, isabella, it'll be fine BY ITSELF but NOT if you are trying to carry on something else as well.

if it says ONE carry-on, it means just that!

aha - i read what you posted again - if that is your only carry-on, it should be fine. just check that its dimensions fit their restrictions.

if you are checking a bag, why not put yoru toilet-bag in there? it saves the dreadful shuffle with the liquids in the plastic bag.