Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

20 days in UK, self drive or take the train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2016, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
This is my first time on this forum.We are from Mumbai, India. My husband, our 11yr old daughter and l am planning a trip to UK in june 2017. We’ve done parts of England and Scotland in our previous trips. So this time its Devon and Cornwall, Yorkshire, a bit of Wales and London(again and again!) for us.
So this is our tentative plan:
Land in London – overnight
Exeter – 3 nights
Chagford or Widecombe-in-the-Moor– 2 nights
St. Ives or Falmouth – 3 nights
Cardiff – 3nights
Llandudno - 2 nights
York – 5 nights
Pickering or Hutton-le-hole – 2nights
London – 5 nights
Now here are the questions: will car work better for this itinerary or should we stick to the train? We wouldn’t want to keep the car in London.
(We would like to stay in smaller villages but public transport seem to be a bit dodgy at some places hence the car option. Also I’m guilty of not travelling light, as the luggage mysteriously increases in transit!)
We are keen to do the Lizard point and Land’s End not so much so will it make more sense to stay around Falmouth instead of St. Ives? Or is St.Ives a better option to stay and a day trip to The Lizard is better?
We plan to do a fair bit of day trips from the bigger cities where we are staying for longer in that case is taking the car better or booking a guided tour would be worthwhile.
(e.g. trip to the Yorkshire dales, fountains abbey, bolton castle, aysgarth falls, buttercups pass…etc. from York . Trip to port Isaac, Tintagel, Newquay, Boscastle etc. from Exeter)
We have driven in England before but only around Cotswold. And have managed to get thoroughly lost quite a few times, but didn’t mind too much because it was all so pretty! This brings me to my next question about the driving time. For e.g. the London to Exeter distance is 279/280 kms so is it safe to say that the driving time will be around 4 hours?( driving at the speed of 70 kmph) or should we just add about an hour to the estimated time.
Thanks in advance
subarna
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 01:57 AM

Namaste.
I would get a car. As you say it gives more flexibility.
If you can drive in India you can drive anywhere. Just don't honk.
Enjoy !
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 05:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd certainly need a car in Cornwall and Yorkshire.

Exeter is at the end of the motorway system. Getting from Exeter to the end of Cornwall is a long distance with the limited roads.

The issue will be the junctions at the end of the M4 and then south around Bristol. That locks up badly in the rush hour so avoid 7-10am and 4-7pm.

Timings, I'd use google but add 25 to 40%. Even giving a time from London is tricky, a bit place and rush hour is solid. You might find it easier to take the train out to LHR and book your car from there.

"honk" is that like "trump" or do you mean "sound your horn"? No, you only use your horn when a danger. I assume you've read https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/hi...de-road-safety
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 05:24 AM

You got it right bilbo.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 05:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Exeter is at the end of the motorway system. Getting from Exeter to the end of Cornwall is a long distance with the limited roads.>>

it's about 110 miles from Exeter to Falmouth which will take you about 2 hours, give or take. [I know this because it's almost exactly 100 miles from the A30 junction on the M5 to my house and we are about 10 miles from Falmouth, and it take me 100 minutes but my car knows the way]

I would definitely agree about having a car for Devon and Cornwall but I might do it in a different order - I would catch the train from London to Penzance [a great place to stay if you want to see the Lizard and Land's End]. It's one of the world's iconic train journeys, especially the part after Exeter. Hire a car in PZ and use it to explore the area. [I can give you more tips once you've sorted out your itinerary].

After that, it's a reasonably easy drive to Dartmoor, and then Exeter [are you sure you want to stay there rather than going as a day trip?] and you are much closer to Cardiff for the next leg of your trip.

[IMO you would be better off spending more nights on the moor, and fewer, if any, in Exeter - the traffic there is awful and getting in and out is awful at almost any hour of the day - but if you really want to stay there, spend just two nights there which IMO is quite enough to see what there is to see in the City. That way you would free up another night for Cornwall where IMHO 3 nights will not be enough].
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Agreed Exeter is tied in knots.

Then you have to chose which side of the two moors to drive.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 07:49 AM

You could do most of that by train-I've done all except two places on your list by train - maybe supplement with car at places- but car yes would be best for most- but for info on trains check www.nationalrail.co.uk; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com. If doing all that by train a BritRail Pass would be a great deal.

But again it seems driving may be better because you have some places hard to do justice to by train.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 08:13 AM

In places like Cornwall (and many others) the roads you may have to take can be really narrow, and flanked by unforgiving tall hedges or stonewalls. Get the smallest car you can find - we drove a VW Golf, not even a mid-sized car, and we had many white-knuckle moments with oncoming traffic.

Take a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_hedge and here:
www.islandnet.com/~aitkens/cornwall.html
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM

Get the smallest car you can find - we drove a VW Golf, not even a mid-sized car, and we had many white-knuckle moments with oncoming traffic.>>

lol michel - how do you think the cornish manage? we don't all drive small cars [though it may explain those scratches on DH's Subaru!]

Actually what we do is drive slowly, and give way a lot.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 09:29 AM

In places like Cornwall (and many others) the roads you may have to take can be really narrow, and flanked by unforgiving tall hedges or stonewalls>

a third world place?
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 09:53 AM

a third world place?>>

if you say so, Pal. I just prefer to think of it as unspoilt.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 09:58 AM

Drive slowly, be friendly, wave thanks at the other driver, and back up to let them pass. Also done in Yorkshire.

This P thinks is third world?

First world for smiling
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 10:01 AM

You'll also find, as you get away from the big cities, that pubs become more "dog friendly", sure sign that you are entering civilisation.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 10:18 AM

Drive slowly, be friendly, wave thanks at the other driver, and back up to let them pass. Also done in Yorkshire.>>

bilbo - in Yorkshire, does the other driver wave back?
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Yes, everyone waves in Yorkshire! Usual rule is that whoever can reverse the easiest does so - for instance anything towing will find it hard to reverse.
If you should get a queue forming behind you, pull over somewhere safe and let everyone go past.
You'll definitely need a car in North Yorkshire to see most of the places on your wish list. There's a very patchy bus service to some parts of the area but this is constantly being cut, and I am afraid the cuts will get worse in 2017.
We live in the Yorkshire Dales and drive a big 4x4 Landrover with no problems (or scratches!) but you can get around in any sort of car except maybe during the winter months.
Please note it is Buttertubs Pass and not Buttercups!
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

hello,
thanks a bunch for the replies and suggestions. Ann i think it's a great suggestion to take the train to PZ and do the trip in reverse. so you think it'll be more convenient to do the day trips from Chagford/widecombe-in-the-Moor?Please do give me tips about the PZ area that you mentioned.

yes we were also thinking on the lines of a sedan or a hatchback instead of an SUV if we do drive. And don't worry we'll keep UK "honk" free

now we just have to crack the driving timings bit. we'll try the google map.

OOOOOPS meant ButterTUBS not CUPS
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 11:07 PM

"a sedan"

Called a saloon car in the UK.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 11:22 PM

"bilbo - in Yorkshire, does the other driver wave back?"

normally, you can spot the tourists because it takes them time to learn our ways....
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 03:27 AM

Day Trip to Port Isaac, Tintagel, Newquay, Boscastle etc. from Exeter>>

I just spotted this and of course, day trips to these places will be much more easily done from Penzance or St Ives than they would from Exeter [just look at a map!] possibly this is an argument for dropping Exeter altogether and spending longer in Cornwall, possibly in 2 locations given your interests.

Where were you planning to see from Chagford? [i would still recommend stopping en route from Cornwall to Cardiff to break up the journey - and there is a lot to see on the way].

as for where to stay in PZ, what sort of accommodation are you looking for? what is available varies from boutique style hotels to pubs to B&Bs. obviously we've never stayed in one but TA may have a few ideas. Also I sort of remember a few people here staying in PZ, perhaps we can do a search for where they stayed. My preference is always for staying in a town so as to be able to walk to restaurants at night and not to have to worry about who is going to drink and who drive, but that may not be your style.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 06:35 AM

Hi subarna,

these two TRs cover PZ but i don't think that either of them give their accommodation 5 stars.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tar-budget.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-london.cfm

if it's a hotel you want, this looks the best bet:

http://www.beachfield.co.uk

Though it's only # 2 on TA, it's central, has great views of the sea and gets consistently good reviews, unlike #1 the Hotel Penzance, which is towards the edge of town, up quite a hill, and has a car park that is very difficult to get into and out of! [we haven't stayed at either of them but we've eaten at the Hotel Penzance and to be fair the food was terrific but it gets very mixed reviews as a hotel].

The other two choices are the Queen's which again is on the front closer to Newlyn, but is very tired, and the Lamorna Cove which is as the name might imply AT Lamorna which is quite a long way from Penzance.

of course it would also be possible to stay in Falmouth and/or St Ives but the beauty of PZ is that it's easy to get to on the train, has few traffic problems, and makes it reasonably easy to access everywhere from the Lizard to Tintagel. And it's by the sea and has some terrific restaurants.

if you want a B&B, there are loads up Alexandra Terrace and Morab Road [both convenient for town] but I rather liked the look of this one, which is on the front:

https://www.blueseashotel-penzance.co.uk

hope that helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -