Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 Weeks traveling thru Europe- train, air, where to go!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending 4 months studying in London, I have an extra 2+ weeks to travel. I know I want to go to Italy and spend good portion of time there, but I want to make 1 or 2 other stops. I am debating between Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Spain, the Greek Islands, Zurich, and Prague. I am going to be traveling from December 20-Jan 5. Where should I go from the list, especially if i'm on a budget? Should I travel by train or by air, considering flights in airlines like easyjet and ryanair can be 30 or 40 bucks a person?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 10:07 PM

You don't mention Paris, arguably europes second city after London in tourist terms. London-Paris from £39 by Eurostar at www.Eurostar.com

Amsterdam would be my next choice. Paris-Amsterdam now takes 3 hours 9 minutes by high speed train, from just 35 euros if you prebook at www.Thalys.com.

For London-Amsterdam don't forget the time effective overnight train and ferry, departs London 19:00, you sleep in a private en suite cabin on the Harwich to Hoek van Holland superseded 23:15 to 07:45 and arrive Amsterdam Centraal 10:03. Fare from £38 plus cost of cabin, about £30 for a single. Book at www.dutchflyer.co.UK.

From Amsterdam you'll find direct sleeper trains to Switzerland, Poland and Prague. Depart Amsterdam Centraal 19:01, arrive in central Prague at 09:31 or Warsaw at 10:25 next morning. Depart Ams 20:31 arrive Zurich around 08:30. Fares from 49 euros including couchette or 79 euros in a 2-bed sleeper, booked at www.bahn.de.

Use the journey planner at www.bahn.de as your all purpose all Europe online timetable.

You'll generally find book-ahead cheap train tickets the best option, railpasses give more flexibility but will cost more. And when looking at budget airlines, remember all the extra charges and the cost of getting to and from airports. The fare from London to Stansted Airport is £21 one way, for example, before you even get near a plane...
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:01 PM

I think I would take Eurostar to Paris for a few days, then easyJet from there to Italy. With all there is to see in Italy, you could easily spend the entire two weeks there. Forget the Greek Islands in Dec - Jan (too wet and cold, with most hotels and restaurants closed).
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:16 AM

I would give the Greek Islands a miss at that time of year as I believe alot of things will be closed for the season and it certainly wont be beach weather.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:23 AM

A big thank you to the man in Seat 61. I used your brilliant site a lot in planning my own trip.

To Andi.

You said you are ending up in Italy. Part of the trip I did may suit you perfectly. Here is that section:

Eurostar London to Paris. 2 hours 20 minutes. Book early and you can get really cheap seats. No airport hassles, just be there 30 minutes before departure from central London (St Pancras) to inner Paris (Gare du Nord).

TGV Lyria Paris to Lausanne. About four hours from Gare de Lyon. Spend a little time in Luasanne, then

Local Swiss rail Lausanne to Visp, and another from Visp to Zermatt. A couple of hours depending on connections.

I took the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur and the Bernina Express from there to Tirano. If I was doing it again I would use the less expensive regional trains to do the same journey. Wonderful scenery which is easier to photograph in trains with windows that can be opened.

From Tirano I took the local train to Milan; about two hours. Later I took the regional train from there to Venice. In your case you could go from Milan to almost any city in Italy.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM

flying let's you see only airports and mega tourist cities but not the Europe in between - trains IMO are the way to go for the average tourist who does want to go to the big tourist meccas - and check out these great sites IMO for lots of planning ideas on a rail trip - first yes Man in Seat 61's commercial site www.seat61.com and also www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - check out the latter's free online superb IMO European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of itinerary suggestions for each country. If traveling in more than a few countries then be sure to check out some kind of railpass - if you are under 26 you can buy the bargain IMO Eurail Youthpass - either a Select Pass good in 3 to 5 countries of your chosing or the Global Pass good in dozens of countries.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM

I am debating between Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Spain, the Greek Islands, Zurich, and Prague. I am going to be traveling from December 20-Jan 5. Where should I go from the list, especially if i'm on a budget?>

weather in Berlin, Munich, zurich and Prague should be funky at that time of year - days are inredibly short and often a cool, but not very very cold, rainy weather - not that enjoyable for touring around IME

and also those awful climated places at that time of year are amongst the most expensive places in Europe.

Spain is somewhat cheaper and Greece a whole lot cheaper.

Maybe take a quick look at some fantastic Christmas markets in say Munich and hop a cheapo flight south either to Spain or Greece or Portugal if looking for warmer weather and lower budget area.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM

Find a cheap flight to Berlin. Spend a few days there. And then find a cheap flight to Italy. That will give you less than 2 weeks in Italy, and between Venice, Florence and Rome (and whatever is in between) you will have more than enough to use up your time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...74831107/show/
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 07:00 AM

Berlin to me has infinitely more things to see and do than Munich so if a choice between the two chose Berlin.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Best to Purchase a Eurail Pass 15 days within 2 months, which gives you exclusive access to majority of trains in Europe. The advantage with train travel is that it brings you straight to the city centre and offers less hassele with arriving to airports.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM

which gives you exclusive access to majority of trains in >

not sure what is meant by exclusive but to some that could mean trains exclusive for Eurailpass holders and there are none of these - a railpass simply allows you to travel on almost any train in the countries covered with very few exceptions.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 06:33 AM

From Barri in Italy I believe you can have a ferry towards Patras/Corfu/Igoumenitsa in Greece. Corfu is a green larg-ish island with strong Italian influence, rich history and nice architecture. You may then get a local ferry to Igoumenitsa and connect through public bus to other areas of Greek mainland, eg Ioannina or Thessaloniki, or Athens.
Or go to Patras then local bus to Olymbia, then bus to Nafplion, bus to Athens. Or Patras to Korinth then Athens by train. And so on...
There are cheap flights from Athens to London and other European cities on Easyjet and other airlines, but you need to prebook far in advance to get a bargain. Greek mainland makes much more sense than Greek Islands on this time of the year.
The point is to decide what exactly you'd like to see and do on this trip. Are you mostly into cities or country side? And what kind of interests you have? Other places are more suitable if oyu are looking for shopping, other cities are great for ancient history, other cities offer great nightlife, other places offer midival architecture, and so on...
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM

I mean to right Barri and/or Angona
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Traveling in winter, you're better off sticking to cities. Hotels and restaurants are mostly closed in country/resort areas. And transportation options there are limited. Whereas cities offer museums, music, shopping, lots of indoor activities that can be done in short (daylight) days and bad weather.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 09:58 AM

I'd stick to the cities too for the reasons that Mimar mentioned. Taking trains between cities would be nice though to see some of the countryside as you pass through.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Not much to see from the trains unless it has snowed. Otherwise the scenery is mostly very drab greys and browns with the perpetual graffitti only to lighten the mood.