Search

2 weeks in Spain itinerary challenges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in Spain itinerary challenges

Hey folks,

I am attempting to put together an itinerary for Spain for March. So far, this is what I have:

Madrid – 4 days (includes a day trip to Toledo or Segovia)
Seville – 2 days (Will probably stop in Cordoba for a few hours enroute from Madrid)
Tarifa – 2.5 days (primarily for day trip to Morocco)
Granada – 2.5 days
Paris/London -2.5 days Not sure which, but I will flying into and out of one of them. There are significant cost savings attached, even after accounting for lost time. So, while I have been to both before, I am thinking I might spend a couple of days at whichever one I end up flying out of.

My primary challenge at the moment is that this is one day too many, but at this point I am also unsure if I have budgeted my time wisely.

A few notes:

1. I have been to Spain previously. In particular, I have been to Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Santiago de Compestela (I walked the Camino a few years ago). I also have been to Barcelona.
2. By days, I mean whole days – I wake up and go to sleep in the same place. The half days are arrival days after travelling between places.
3. My primary interests are history, architecture and art (mostly pre-Modern).
4. The only things that are set in stone are Granada and the day-trip to Morocco. While I think the basics of the itinerary seem ok, I can probably be persuaded to change some things. (wouldn’t be much point in posting otherwise  )
5. I will not have a car

Anyway, I would interested in any suggestions people might have. If I were to, say, drop the days in London/Paris and cut a day from Tarifa, what would be good use of those days? Is there anywhere else in the general area that you think I should prioritize?
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 04:41 PM
kja

It really depends on your interests and preferences, but this trip would be WAY too rushed for my tastes. For comparison: I wanted 4 full days for Madrid itself, 2 full days just for Toledo, a full day for Segovia, at least 3 or 4 days for Sevilla, 2 full days for Cordoba, and 3 full days for Granada. By full day, I mean FULL -- up and out ASAP after breakfast, with no stops (except for an occasional cup of coffee or glass of wine) until after a very late dinner -- and then a long after-dinner walk! And I could easily of enjoyed more time in each place! (I skipped Tarifa).

Good luck!
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 04:42 PM

There's not much in Tarifa except for the ferry. Spend that time in Tangier !
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

One of the reason I thought about spending a few days in Tarifa (beyond the daytrip to Morocco) is that it is pretty small. Everywhere else I am stopping is at least a medium sized city.

However, the more I read about Tangier, the less enthused I am about going there. The idea of fending off people try to sell me stuff and scammers all day is decidedly unappealing. Maybe Ronda or Arcos would be a better fit.

Current schedule looks like this:

Madrid - 4 days
Seville - 2 days
Ronda or Arcos - 2.5 days
Granada - 2.5 days

I decided to not stop in London/Paris on the way home, which leaves me 2 days to add somewhere. An extra day in Madrid and Seville maybe?
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 03:23 AM

Your last plan looks very good, and an extra day in both Madrid and Sevilla is very wise. Fabulous and very different cities. Perhaps use some of the extra time in wonderful Córdoba between the two cities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfGdpF55Uk
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 04:02 PM
kja

IMO, Cordoba's Mezquita is one of the world's finest gems. I personally wouldn't miss it for Ronda. And FWIW, I am glad to have seen Ronda, but was ready to leave it after less than 24 hours. There simply is not that much to see there, unless one is visiting the surrounding area by car. JMO.
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 11:41 AM

Your itinerary looks pretty good!!

I lived in Madrid for 2 years and that is plenty of time in the city with a day trip to Segovia and/or Toledo. I would even say you could do both! They are only about an hour bus ride or so. You could see a ton and have so much fun if you maximize your time!

Granada is one of my favorite places in the country, so you definitely want to keep as much time as you can there.

Seville is gorgeous and a lot of fun, but again if you are prepared to pack it all in to a short time you'll be okay with 2 days.

Also, what you hears about Morocco is true, but it is still a great experience. I loved seeing such a different culture, and I thought the food was amazing. Just take it with a grain of salt - we were two young American girls and we survived just fine!

If you want to check out our website we just added some great things to do in Madrid that you should check out when you are there!

http://www.twogirlsandaglobe.com/ind...stly-fo-freee/

Have a great time, I love Spain and could write a novel of what you should/shouldn't do but I think you have a good plan - buenos suerte!