Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Scotland-what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Linda Dick

Couple traveling for 2 weeks in Scotland. Flexible time schedule. When best to go? Are crowds a problem. Is the Edinburgh tattoo a must? Want to take time to wander and drive and explore on our own. Any other suggestions. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:23 PM
steve

spent 8 days with the family there in summer 1999. Stayed for a week in a self catering cottage in Callendar. From there we explored Stirling, Edinburgh, Lock Ness, Lake Katrine, Loch Lomond, Doune Castle, and Castle Campbell - all worthwile. On the jway up from London, we stopped at Jedburgh and on the way back at Caeverlock and Threave Castles (Threave is my favorite). <BR> <BR>It was alot of fun. With an extra week, would go to the islands off the west coast

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Danna

check out going to the southwest of Scotland. Galloway. Wonderful country, people, gardens, castles, people... we loved Kirkcudbright, Wigtown and Logan Gardens outside Port Logan. It's not the tourist center of scotland, but grand! Have Fun! We went in October, no crowds, a little colder.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:41 AM
BettyAnn

The first thing I did was to send an email to Sheila Ritchie, [email protected], asking her for suggestions. If you have been reading this forum for any time at all, you will know that she is the BEST source for information on Scotland. We spent two weeks in Scotland last Sept and thanks to Sheila, it was the best driving trip we've ever taken.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:45 AM
BettyAnn

I should have added that we had dinner with Sheila and her husband at a great restaurant near Dunkeld and she is great company and a lot of fun!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Sheila

Linda <BR> <BR>Best times are end May, early June. Crowds are not a problem. Tattoo is fun but hardly a must. It's a show, for visitors and tourist. A good show, but hust a show. <BR> <BR>What do you like? That would help narrow it down

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Sheila

I want you to know I HAD NOT seen Betty Ann's posting before I replied (blush!)

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Island Girl

Hi Linda, <BR> <BR>We spent 2 weeks in Scotland last August and it was great. It was a very economical trip, and we used the train a lot, and stayed in hostels and B&Bs. <BR> <BR>Here's our itinerary: <BR> <BR>Day 1: arrive Edinburgh, tour castle and Royal Mile <BR>Day 2: toured St Andrews and Stirling <BR>Day 3: drove to Hadrian's Wall (my husband's idea). Saw a Fringe show in the evening <BR>Day 4: toured New Town area and the castle (again!) <BR>Day 5: train to Oban, toured the town and area <BR>Day 6: tour to Mull, Iona, and Staffa <BR>Day 7: bus to Inverness, stopping at Fort Augustus and Urquhart Castle <BR>Day 8: toured around Inverness <BR>Day 9: train to Orkney Islands, toured Kirkwall <BR>Day 10: organized tour of Orkney sites <BR>Day 11: train to Inverness <BR>Day 12: Isle of Skye <BR>Day 13: Hiking on Skye <BR>Day 14: train to Glasgow <BR>Day 15: toured Glasgow in a.m, home in p.m. <BR> <BR>If we did it over again, we wouldn't go to Orkney unless we could have 3 or 4 full days there. Also, missed a big chunk around Glencoe, and didn't have enough time in Stirling. <BR> <BR>Feel free to email me with any questions. This site and the people on it are a great reference, so have fun planning!