Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Norway in May, need itinerary help!

Sep 25th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

My hubby and I will be visiting Norway in mid-May for our 10-year anniversary. We got a cheap airfare from LAX-Oslo for $500 round-trip. I haven't done a lot of research but know that I would like to include the Lofoten islands. I have mobility issues (can't walk much) so we are very interested in biking and kayaking. Here's what I have for an itinerary so far.

Day 1 - arrive Oslo 5:30 PM
2 - Oslo
3 - Oslo - Bergen via train
4 - Bergen
5 - Board Hurtigruten Northbound
6 - Hurtigruten
7- Hurtigruten
8 - Depart Hurtigruten in Svolvaen or (?). Pick up rental car.
9 - Lofoten
10 - Lofoten
11 - Lofoten
12 - Lofoten
13 - Lofoten
14 - Fly from Lofoten back to Oslo for 6:30 PM flight

I am wondering about the time we are on the Hurtigruten cruise. Will we see spectacular fjord scenery on this part of the "cruise?"

Also, should we stop in Flam for a day? Are we spending too much time in Lofoten for this time of year? I've read it could still be very cold.This doesn't bother us, but we're wondering if it's likely we'll be able to rent bikes/kayaks this time of year.

Suggestions on what to add if our priorities are seeing, biking, kayaking and cruising through gorgeous scenery are our top priorities.
Sep 26th, 2014, 08:55 AM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...uHk6iIgbSEgAE#

Choco...these pix may asist you with a "feel" about Norway in general and The Lofotens in particular. We also used the Hurtigruten for a portion of our month long trip(we boarded in Bergen, stayed two nights and got off to spend a day in Trondheim, from which we boarded another Hurtigruten vessel, got off to see the Svartsisen (Black Ice Glacier). Bussed to Bodo, stayed overnight and rented a car and took ferry to southern tip of the Lofotens (near the village of "A"..pronounced "Aw").
Pix show several towns and end in Svolvaer...then drove to Tromso.
Bring money.
Sep 26th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tower. Is the first part of the northbound Hurtigruten cruise scenic then? What do you think of adding a day in Bergen to take a day trip to Sognefjord?
Sep 27th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Bring money: does this mean bring lots of cash?

What's a good base for Lofoten?
Sep 27th, 2014, 11:44 AM

CHOCOCAT:

Check out my web page on our trip to Norway. We didn't visit Lofoten, but we did do Hurtigruten and a few other things, including Norway in a Nutshell, which is a great way to get from Oslo to Bergen.

Perhaps this will help you in your planning:

http://www.travel.stv77.com/norway/norway.htm
Sep 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi ssstve. That's a very helpful trip report, I am bookmarking as a reference. Thanks! So you were there in April?

The NIAN trip seems very expensive and rushed... I am now really considering taking 2 days from Lofoten and staying 2 nights in Flam.

I am still on the fence about Hurtigruten, it's about $1200 for the 2+ days, but flights would be ~$600 so I'm telling myself it'll be expensive to get from Bergen to Lofoten either way.

Would still really love some feedback on Lofoten...
Sep 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

*sssteve*
Sep 28th, 2014, 01:16 AM

Don't bring cash - credit/debit cards accepted everywhere, even for the smallest amounts and unless you have foreign transaction fees is usually far cheaper to use than cash.
The NiN is just a route by public transport so sightseeing doesn't come much cheaper than that. Hardly rushed as it's the transport stages - Flåm train, Nærøyford ferry - that are interesting - just understand that it is a self guided trip, no group, on public transport. Buying the ticket Oslo-Flåm in advance at https://www.nsb.no/en/ non-refundable minipris is a great saving. Rest of the journey you can pay as you go - just follow NiN timetable for best connections. Not really worth staying in Flåm, which is just a convenient transport hub full of giant cafes and souvenir shops for the cruise tourists - though shouldn't be crowded in May.
Sep 28th, 2014, 01:17 AM

Spend the day you save by not staying in Flåm, in Bergen!
Sep 28th, 2014, 04:14 AM

I was in Norway this past June and am just now writing a short trip report (http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-four-day.cfm ) I spent the whole four days I was there based in Bergen with a one day Norway in a Nutshell trip to Flam. Didn't get further north like you are planning so can't help there but would definitely suggest you stay at least a couple of days in Bergen.

The comment 'bring money' refers to the fact that Norway is astonishingly expensive.

There is a story in today's New York Times on the cruise you are considering.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/tr...pgtype=article
Sep 28th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info. I was under the impression that Flam is an ideal place to take different cruises to various fjords and also to do some kayaking. Which is a better base to see fjords--Bergen or Flam? Bergen isn't as appealing as it seems like more of a city/town and we want to be out in nature. I can't walk much so visiting a bunch of museums isn't possible nor is it what we want out of this trip.
Oct 20th, 2014, 08:55 AM

"Bring money: does this mean bring lots of cash?"

No, it means you will spend a lot of money because the cost of items is very high.

Actually I flew from LAX and spent 11 days in Bergen visiting my DD and her family and never once had cash on me. I used my VISA card exclusively for every purchase even a small purchase for a cup of coffee. If you have a chip in your Credit Card it is best - but they will take the old fashioned swipe kind as well.