2 weeks in Italy

Search

2 weeks in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in Italy

My husband and I are planning on spending 2 weeks in Italy this September. We're considering a week in a villa (summerinitaly.com) on the Amalfi coast, but not sure where to spend our remaining week. We went to Rome and Florence a week each for our honeymoon last year, and had a blast. Would like to see something new...maybe Venice? We want to keep it relatively low key-we know we won't see everything, and don't want to just skim the highlights. Advice on possible destinations, activities, accomodations or any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:34 AM

First-Your week on Amalfi is perfect! "Summer in Italy" is a wonderful rental agency. We rented a Villa there for a week a couple of years ago and it was amazing! We are going back for a few days this May. t Second- I think getting out into the countryside of Southern Yuscany would be my choice. You could base somewhere near Montalcino or Pienza and do day trips visitng the different hilltowns of Val d'Orcia and Umbria. It is simply beautiful and totally enchanting! You could also do day trips to Chianti & Siena and visit some wineries from that location.Driving in this part of Italy is very enjoyable and easy. I also think Venice would also be a great location but it is the other side of the country from the Amalfi Coast.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I would also consider the Piedmont area or the lake district around lago Orta.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

TNT Traveler-Thanks for the feedback. What villa did you choose? We may be travelling with another couple, and want to keep the complications to a minimum! We loved Florence and the surrounding area, so spending a week in the Tuscan countryside would be no burden! Did you go on any day tours to the sights &/or do you have any you could recommend?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Lake Como is like Heaven on Earth. We stayed in Varenna and loved it. It it mid-lake and the ferry is very accessible. Don't miss Villa Balbianello. The Lake has gorgeous scenery and opportunities for visitors who enjoy quiet, scenic walks and/or shopping/browsing. It would be very easy to spend a few days camped out in a comfy chair overlooking the lake with a good book.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM
ira

Hi K,

Since you will be spending a week in a very nice resrt area, I suggest that your second week be in Venice.

You can fly into Venice and out of Naples (or VV).

You can fly Naples/Venice on www.alpieagles.com