2 Weeks in Ireland-Suggestions?

Mar 4th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Raleigh

2 Weeks in Ireland-Suggestions?

Hi. My wife and I plan to drive around Ireland for two weeks in May, starting at Dublin and then heading down and around the countryside. We have driven around England staying at B&Bs the last two years, so we are comfortable with that. What we need are suggestions of places/sites not to miss and any B&B or restuarants recommendations.

Thanks!

Mar 4th, 1999, 09:09 AM
jen

We were in Ireland for the third time this past summer. Good B&Bs are plentiful! One we especially liked because of the geographical location was in Carlow. A good starting point once you leave Dublin. The B&B was called Brolum or Borlum House and we found it in the B&B guide from the Irish Tourist Board. We enjoyed this B&B so much we went back at the end of our trip.If you have not called them for a packet yet you should. Compared to other tourist packets from other countries, this one was quite good and FREE!

Mar 4th, 1999, 01:54 PM
leechase

I'm quite sure you will love Ireland! The west coast is spectacular. Don't miss the Dingle Peninsula. Also further north, the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher. Not far from there is the Town of Doolin known for traditional Irish music. Go to McCanns Pub and Connors Pub.
One B&B I can highly recommend is in Kenmare (we preferred to stay there instead of touristy Killarney). It is called Tara Farm, Tubrid, Kenmare, 1km form Kenmare Tel 064 41272. signposted off both N70 and N71.
The other B&B I highly recommend (it's my very favorite) is near Bunratty 7 km to Shannon. It's called Bunnratty Villa. Tel 061 369241. Take the road between Bunratty Castle and Durty Nelly's.
If you are in Kilkenny, stop for a meal at Langton's Pub.
Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.
Lee

Mar 5th, 1999, 04:30 AM
Helen

I was in Ireland last August for a week with my husband and sister. We also started in Dublin and drove along the coast to Shannon. West Cork is spectacular. There's a lovely B&B in Bantry with beautiful views of Bantry Harbor called Suncrest. We loved it there so much we stayed an extra night. If you like mussels, you;ll be in Heaven in Bantry!

Mar 5th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Alan Scott Mikesell

I agree with much of the reply from Lee. We recently returned from Shannon. Our favorite B&B is Ashgrove House in Bunratty. You can contact Sheila Tiernan by e-mail at <[email protected]>
Sheila can also give you information about the Bunratty Castle banquet during you visit to that area. We also rented a car for our 17 day vacation. The Ring of Kerry tour is a great experinence. The key is to take a tour bus which allows you to see those 40 shades of green by being above the stone hedge rows. We stayed at Crystal Springs B&B in Killarney and Eileen Brosnan, the hostess there arranged for the tour bus to come there to take us.
We traveled from Waterford to Galway and spent much west of that line. Ask us anything on that area and we will share our wonderful experiences. This web site below is how we selected our B&B in Bunratty for the first two nights.
http://www.Ireland.travel.ie/pts/GetAccomDetails.asp
Give the B&B people the opportunity to call a friend and 'save a room' at your next destination. This was our pattern of travel and from Ashgrove house to the end, we were always pleased with the accomodations.
We are already making plans to return to Ireland next year.

Mar 5th, 1999, 03:32 PM
Kathy

Dublin for 3-4 days. WE stayed at Kilronen house and I would def stay there again about 4 blocks from St Stephens Green but an easy walk. Also Kilkenny is the most charming city 2hr train from Dublin, but good for 1-2 days max. We stayed at Butler house about 100.00 USD inc full brkfast but worth it we had a view of Kilkenny Castle and there are many great pubs but the shopping for sweaters and such things as Irish jewelry was better in Dublin.

Mar 28th, 1999, 11:13 PM
Karyn Miller Hepp

My husband and I extended the Ireland portion of our honeymoon two years ago because we loved it so much. I forced him to see the Waterford factory, and he loved it. We especially like the B&B we stayed in, Foxmount Farm. Additionally, on the west coast, Kylemore Abbey is fabulous. Powerscourt, near Dublin is also a must-see.

Mar 29th, 1999, 10:04 AM
Mavis

Hi Raleigh,
Can't help you with B&Bs, we normally rent a self-catering cottage when we are in Ireland or England, and make day trips from there, but have some suggestions re: sightseeing. Co. Wicklow is quite enchanting (area where Braveheart was actually filmed). Not called Garden County for nothing (see Glendalough, Mount Usher gardens). Don't miss area around Ardmore, Youghal. Ardmore is a small town with a great beach and very friendly people. Try Paddy Mac's pub and well as the Cliff Walk (you can get map from Tourist Centre on beach) - will see wonderful views of ocean as well as interesting 'things' (I don't want to spoil the surprise). Youghal (pronounced Yawl) is where Moby Dick was filmed, don't miss Aherne's - superb sea-food restaurant, pub and rooms to rent. Also has a blue-flag beach. Didn't enjoy Cork City very much but head south to Kinsale - considered the gourmet capital of Ireland - with great restaurants (the Cottage Loft was our favourite) and walks. And don't miss Cobh (pronounced Cove) - the Heritage Museum there has a fascinating exhibit on the coffin ships that took Irish emmigrants to U.S. and Canada, a memorial to Titanic (was the last place it stopped before sinking) and the Lusitania (that exhibit is particularly well done with old-fashioned phones in a recreated hotel lobby (where survivors were taken to) where you can listen to survivors stories. As you start heading north stop at Blarney Castle and kiss the stone - it's tacky and touristy but you'll be sorry if you don't. If you love gardens a detour to Anne Grove's Gardens is really worth it. As you hit Kerry, the 'peninsulas' are all interesting, I'd only pick one (our favourite is the Dingle, think this is where Far and Away was filmed). Muckross House is worth a visit as is the park surrounding it. Also don't miss Bunratty Castle and Folk Park as you head north. The Castle is a bit of a disappointment, particularly after you've seen English castles, but the Folk Park is the best part, as well as the recreated town (check out the printing place, very reasonable hand-tinted prints based on many of Yeats' poems). And if you're missing conversation with some tourists, stop for a pint at Durty Nelly's - head for the top floor if you want some privacy. The Cliffs of Moher are quite spectacular, as are the villages hugging the Atlantic in Galway - our favourite was Roundstone - Dog's Bay beach has got to be one of the most outstanding beaches we've ever seen. (North of Roundstone is area where The Field was filmed.) We heartily recommend a detour into Cong, Co. Mayo, which was the location for The Quiet Man, a great movie with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. The views across Lough Corrib are heart-stopping. Donegal and Sligo are less touristy and quite beautiful, we enjoyed the Glenveigh National Park, but didn't stay in any particular place, just drove through back roads. Hope you have lots of fun, let me know if you have any questions.

Mavis

Mar 29th, 1999, 10:40 AM
Richard

Raleigh, To add to all the above, from Doolin go out to the Aran Islands, Dun Aenghus on Inishmore has to be seen; the Rock of Cashel, Gallarus on the Dingle Peninsula, Newgrange, just north of Dublin, all wonderful and historic sights. We had hoped to go out to the Skellig Islands but weather didn't permit it. B&B's abound and the pub grub is great, stews and soups and stout, oh my.

Apr 1st, 1999, 09:52 AM
marc

My suggestion if you are in the southwest of Ireland is to go to Cobh (pronounced Cove). It the port from which millions of Irish emigrants left for the US, as well as the last stop of the Titanic. The Lusitania was also sunk off the coast. They have a wonderful historical set up around the harbour's past. I think it would be quite beautiful in May