Search

2 Weeks in Greek Islands

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Weeks in Greek Islands

Hi, Guys,

I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).

For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.

My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that

2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?

I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.

Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?

Thanks so much for your input!
Garrett
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM

I will be going to Greece in September and will be interested in the advice you get to your questions.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Me three, but in October!
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Because of the popularity of the Cyclades Islands demand is high for accomodations. Yes, you'll probably be able to find something when you arrive but it might not be where you want to stay and if you don't like the room you're taken to they're under no obligation to take you anywhere, so try to familiarize yourself with the island's villages so you can at least hold out for something in the general area you like. Prices will be at their highest and bargaining will most likely not be possible. Paros, Naxos, Antiparos, Folegandros and Sikinos are close to Santorini and fairly easy to reach by ferry in a short time. Sikinos is small with very limited diversions, it's mostly for swimming and relaxing.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 02:57 AM

DebitNM, advice for October will differ from that for July. Some islands that are very busy in high season will be very quiet in October. When summer catamarans end their seasons in mid to late October it is best to stick to main ferry routes. October, when they aren't touristy, is a good time to visit the Greek Islands, but you have to plan for off-season rather than high season.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Hi everyone,

My wife and I (in our late 40's) have just spent 4 nights on the island of Anafi and it is so far off the tourist radar, it is either beautiful, or dreadful, depending on your view.

The island is 20kms from Santorini (approx 2 hour ferry ride) and there is only one main town, atop a hill, which has 5-10 rooms to stay and maybe 4-6 tavernas. There is plenty of hiking/walking to be done (not that we did any) and a couple of nice beaches. We stayed at a place called Margaritas at the bottom of the hill (they have maybe 5, or 6 rooms), and only 50 metres from the beach. This island may suit your desires, so I will leave it up to you to evaluate.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 07:08 AM

So you've got 4 weeks and you want to spend it all in the Cyclades? How about Crete? The Peloponnese?

That brings up questions. Do you want to drive? And what are your interests? Beach time? Archeology? Scenery?
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I have looked into Anafi and that's definitely a possibility.

No, I'm not set on spending all my time in the Cyclades, and am not averse to the mainland. My interests are archaeology (to a limited extent), rural greek village life preferably with decent walks/hikes and beaches, and ... SUN. But hopefully the latter won't be a problem in Greece during late July.

I've been looking into the possibility of going north to the Sporades and/or the Pelion peninsula. Probably would want to avoid Skiathos, as it appears very touristy, and stick to Skopelos, Alonissos and/or Skyros
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I'm a youngish traveler, 27 years old, would like to probably stay away from super-family friendly areas----toddlers aren't my thing, especially strangers' (what can I say? I'm single and 27!). But given that I am looking for a more relaxed vibe, I'll naturally be looking at some more family-friendly islands I suppose.

I love a good party, but not really looking for the party scene on the islands, as I live in NYC and can party all I want, plus I've been to mykonos before. so yes, I go on vacation mostly for the relaxation, history, and culture a place can provide.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 03:27 AM

Hi Garret,

I am 30 years old and I am Greek. A great island in Cyclades is Ios. I am adding two links where you can find some things to do and also check some beaches. Also you can see an eco - friendly project really interesting in opinion. So here it is:
- http://www.luxurios.com/things-do-ios-island
- http://www.luxurios.com/beach-ios
- http://www.luxurios.com/sustainability-ios-island

If you need something else please ask me!

Thank you
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 03:42 AM
WWK

I'd highly recommend Paros, which is an easy ferry connection from Santorini or Naxos. We just spend a week there ( second visit).

Paros has a medieval town to explore (Lefkes), a lovely old port city, Naoussa, and tons of gorgeous beaches. Our new favorite isarosPoros, but we also like Golden Beach, amongst others.

The ferries arrive in Parikia, which is a busy harbor city, but home to the centuries old Church of 100 Doors.

We prefer Naoussa, on the other side of the island, which is less chaotic, prettier, with lots of restaurants, (great gelato!), and beautful villages nearby ( Ampelis, which I'm probably spelling wrong?).

Our new favorite beach is ParosPoros, which is one of the most beautiful small beaches I've ever seen, with a wonderful taverna on site. But we also like Golden Beach, home to the worldwide surfing competitions.

Since you're going in July, definitely make a reservation ahead1
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 03:44 AM
WWK

Sorry for the rushed post! Didn't mean to write about the beaches twice. Oh well. Have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM

DebitNM, we're going to Greece in October also. I'd be interested in your itinerary. This will be my first visit though my husband was there many years ago.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 01:41 PM

saige - We fly into Athens on 9 October and stay overnight. Then we fly to Santorini for 3 nights, ferry to Mykonos for 3 nights; ferry to Athens for 3 nights. My first time, DH was there long ago.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Thanks, DebitNM. Let's stay in touch as we plan our trips. Maybe we'll end up with an impromptu GTG.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 06:32 PM

I'm planning to go to Greece next week. Am thinking of Sifnos, Santorini and ...
I'll take suggestions. Also travelling solo. Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:41 AM

Hello ranlee!

Personaly I often recommend Naxos to people. One important reason I do this is because I sense that in a few years' time Naxos is going to change drastically, it has already started to change, and someone might really want to experience the island as it is now.

You will find tons of information on line for Naxos, but on my opinion its strongest point is a mix of new and old, traditional and (not very) touristy... Naxos is large enough to absoarb its many visitors somehow smoothly and it is fertile enough inland for many people to rely on agriculture and not exclusively on tourism, so more "real" .

Having those gorgeous sandy beaches and decent infrastructure for a pleasant stay, in combination with quaint villages, tons of hiking routes, Byzantine churches, ancient temples and Venetian watch towers, fresh food, local beverrages and reasonable rates and crowds, all those on an island on the most popular and easy ferry route is definately an advantage not many destinations have.

I see promotion on Naxos developping during recent years, more investments on tourism happening and more crowds arriving and although I hope tourism will not have further strong effects on local life-style and all things Naxos, I'm affraid "progress" is inevitable and impract will be considerable on the years to come. So I strongly suggest you a visit on Naxos now if you can.

Late June/start of July is a wise choice for a visit on the Greek islands. Nice weather, all services available, plenty of visitors for a lively ambience, not too hot or too crowded and tourism industry staff not over-worked yet, so chances for better service and interesting chats : )

Enjoy wherever you decide to go!
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 06:42 PM

Thanks so much. Will definitely look into Naxos.