2 Week Dolomite Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2019, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, I would love some itinerary help if you have the time. My husband and I are going to the Dolomites next month with our 15 month old twin daughters. We are very active hikers, but this will be the most they have spent our backpacks, so we are trying to stay relatively reserved. We plan to base ourselves in 2 spots and do day hikes. We would like to do 1 overnight though to a Rifugio. If you have suggestions on that, I would really appreciate it. I am also wondering if any of these days seem too long. As these hikes look great, maybe that is where I should plan to have our overnight Rifugio. Also, if you think there is something else I should add or take away, please let me know. Thank you, thank you! I am also wondering if any of these days seem too long. As these hikes look great, maybe that is where I should plan to have our overnight Rifugio.

This is what we have:
Friday, September 20: Arrive in Venice from international flight. Drive to Cortina for overnight. (Cortina Overnight)Saturday, September 21: Rest Day, explore Cortina (Cortina Overnight)Sunday, September 22: Hike to Lake Sorapiss (Cortina Overnight)
Monday, September 23: Tre Cime Loop (Cortina Overnight)
Tuesday, September 24: I would love to try a Via Ferrata. I can leave kids with husband. I think I’ll look into getting a guide for this. Maybe I can do a ½ day and then my husband can go in the afternoon. (Cortina Overnight)Wednesday, September 25: Rest day, make-up one of the previous hikes incase we had to skip because of rain. (Cortina Overnight)Thursday, September 26: Cable Car to Rif. Lagazuoithen and walk to lookout. Drive to Otisei for overnight. (Ortisei Overnight)Friday, September 27: Rest, Explore Ortisei (Ortisei Overnight)Saturday, September 28: Vajolet Towers, hike to Rif. Alberto. Should we take the bus or cable car? (Ortisei Overnight)
Sunday, September 29: Adolf Munkel Trail (Ortisei Overnight)
Monday, September 30, Circumnavigate Sassopiatto. Possible only do the western part. Maybe take cable car up. (Ortisei Overnight)
Tuesday, October 1: rest (Ortisei Overnight)
Wednesday, October 2: Seceda cable car (Ortisei Overnight)
Thursday, October 3: Drive to Venice (Venice Overnight)
Friday, October 4: Fly home

So what do you think? Any changes? Does this seem doable?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by IzzyJo; Aug 21st, 2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll have to check on rifugio overnight availability. Lots (all?) of them will probably be closed by the time you're there. Some cable cars may also have stopped, so you should check on that as you finalize your plans.

Some of your excursions will take you to or near WWI sights. Rifugio Lagazuoi and a couple of the Via Ferrata hikes, for sure. There are also two museums on the way from Cortina to Ortisei. The open-air museum at Cinque Torri with re-created stone-lined trenches, barracks and gun emplacements and Forte Tre Sassi at Passo Valparola. Any of these would be worth a stop.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ins-180959076/

The hikes all sound good, but I hope you have that many good weather days in a row.

On your drive from Ortisei to Venice, I highly recommend visiting the Iceman Museum in Bolzano. It's absolutely fascinating.