2 or 3 nights in Istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have to cut out 1 night in Istanbul, in order to make the beginning of my trip more doable. Can I see the highlights and get a feel for Istanbul with 2 nights only? I will be arriving in Istanbul around 2:00 p.m. -- I know -- it does not give me a full day either. So it is really 1.5 days. And -- I leave early the morning of my flight home -- so there will be no time for tramping around that day either.

Comments appreciated. Thanks. ccc
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:40 AM

I am the resident expert on Istanbul, as my trip report <Turkey in the Straw: thingorjus sleeps in Istanbul> is probably the most widely read and esteemed piece on the subject here at Fodors.

You can't possibly stay only one night in Istanbul. You need half a day just to see the Topkapi Palace <warning: if you don't get to certain attractions very early in the morning, you can stand in line for HOURS waiting to buy an admission ticket>. You can also spend hours in the Grand Bazaar. The Dolmbahce Palas is another 3 hours. And what about the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Istiklal Caddesi. No, sweetie, you need AT LEAST 2 nights.

Please access my trip report by clicking on my sn <thingorjus> and scrolling down the page.

You are very welcome,
John G
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Asia_Minor

Dear Cececat,

If there is no way to change your schedule, try to cover as much as you can in 1,5 day. So this timetable may help you organize your time:

1st Day

2.00 p.m. Arrival in Ist.
3.30 p.m. Topkapý Palace
5.30 p.m. Grand Bazaar
7.30 p.m. Turkish Bath (Hamam)

2nd Day

8.30 a.m. Hippodrome
9.15 a.m. Sultanahmet Mosque (Blue Mosque)
10.15 a.m. St. Sophia
11.45 a.m. Basilica Cistern

Take a taxi to Taksim Square. Stroll down the street and lunch in the area. Then take a taxi in front of The Marmara Hotel, down in Gümüssuyu Street to Dolmabahçe Palace.

2.30 p.m. Dolmabahçe Palace
4.45 p.m. Tea/coffee/beer break at Ortaköy overlooking the Bosphorus
7.00 p.m. Return hotel

With all good wishes.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:22 PM

cece-

Maybe you could post your itinerary again? I remember that you were having issues with trying to squeeze everything in that you want.

As thin pointed out, The main attractions are Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Dolmbahce Palace, Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. I think if when you arrive the 1st day if you see the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, then the next full day you see Topkapi 1st thing and go to the Grand Bazaar, you would be ok. You would probably need to skip Dolmbahce.

Just realize that you can't see everything, and will just get a taste of the city.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:37 PM

3 nights/4 days are pretty much a minimum to do justice to Istanbul. I had 4 nights in 2003 and if I could turn back time I might have made it 5. It's a HUGE city, with much to see. If you leave after 1.5 days, you'll be robbing yourself of a truly unique experience.

Also, I'm guessing that it's probably one of the furthest points on your itinerary, so it might be easier to go back to one of the other cities you take a night from to spend a little extra time in Istanbul. You won't regret it.

Either that, or skip Istanbul and go another time.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:50 PM

Supposedly, Asia Minor is in the tourism industry in Turkey. Therefore, I can't understand his/her schedule because it doesn't take into account the time that must be SPENT STANDING in ticket lines. You will stand in the ticket line at Topkapi for at least 30 minutes. Understand that you can't buy a ticket to the HAREM at the main ticket booth. You must first buy a ticket to the Topkapi, proceed through the gate, then stand in another line to get a ticket to the HAREM. This will take AT LEAST another 30 minutes, as tour guides with large groups bypass ordinary tourists. (I watched in horror as a tour guide went right into the ticket booth and had the agent count out 35 tickets--which have to be TIMED because only 30 people at a time can go through the HAREM.) There is no way you can spend only 2 hours at Topkapi unless you are on a guided tour. And to skip the Dolmbahce Palas would be INSANE. (You must take a guided tour of Dolmbahce. Therefore, you have to wait for a guided tour to begin--usually every 35 minutes for an English-speaking tour.)

I also don't agree with 45 minutes for Hippodrome. That is TOO MUCH time. You can walk through in 15 minutes.

Just my two pence, sweetie.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:17 PM
Asia_Minor

Welcome back Thingorjus with your precious negative energy filled messages. I know this is a tight programme but I am just trying to help Cececat. This IS a workable timing and the only place you spend some time in the ticket line is Topkapi Palace. However, it is less crowded in the afternoons and that is the reason why I suggest that Cececat go there in mid afternoon. On the other hand, taking a guided tour will be a wise option to avoid queues and be shown around all the highlights by a professional instead of spending your time wandering around to find and see the places written down in your precious guide book. I know this is not a good option for you as you have an instinctive allergy to tour guides and people working in tourism industry. However, just my two pence sweetie, you have to learn that certain pleasures in life cannot be compared with money. Sometimes you've got to spend for your comfort and for your pleasure. It is something like going to a fine restaurant occasionally instead of eating at home everyday.

As for the Hippodrome, I agree with thingorjus. That is TOO MUCH time. You can walk through in 15 minutes. (You can even run through in 3 minutes)

By the way, I am not in the tourism industry. The reason why I am writing at this forum is to give people honest, reliable and unbiased information about my country, but not to satisfy my inferiority complex.

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. I will probably cut out somewhere else. I am trying to visit 4 different places on our 13 night visit in September. My main time is going to be spent in Kalkan for 6 nights (requisite relaxation time for husband). My husband would never go for a "schedule" to see sights. He is very "Type B" and I am -- you guessed it -- very "Type A". I will have to allow him time to rest once he gets into the hotel room -- yada yada yada. Over the years, if I get too antsy I leave him at the pool or the room and do what I want instead of waiting for him. But I dont' know if I will feel too comfortable doing this in Istanbul.

One last question, I read somewhere that it is perfectly okay not to see the Harem -- is this true in your humble opinions? Thanks for the feedback. ccc
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM

I woud like to know more about the "resident expert on Istanbul".....Thin AND Gorgeous.....can you answer my earlier post about the Hotel Villa Zurich....maybe such an esteemed person can help me. (????)
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM

I hope that I don't get bashed for this, but if I had to skip sights in order to see the town, I could easily skip the Dolmabahce Palace. I would definitely NOT skip the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia or wandering around Grand Bazaar. And I would recommend visiting a smaller Sinan mosque that doesn't quite feel like tourist-central. I would also go to the waterfront, and go to Taksim Square.

I like Asia Minor's itinerary, but in the time you've allotted, I would skip Dolmabahce Palace. It's too much of a tourist destination. But I would save the Topkapi Palace for the first thing the second morning and go to Taksim and the Galata Tower the evening of the first day.

My priorities:

-Sultanahmet area: Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Hippodrome area/Basilica cistern
-Topkapi Palace

-Sinan mosques: Sulamaniye, Rustem Pasa (the latter is a small gem)

-Taksim-- Wandering the Istaklal Caddesi, Climbing the Galata Tower for the view

-Markets: Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar (I loved the local feeling of the Spice Bazaar), Arasta Bazaar (small market behind the Blue Mosque which is much easier for shopping)

We also visited the Mosaic Museum, behind the Blue Mosque. It's well-worth a visit, and will not take up a huge amount of time.

If you can add additional days to Istanbul, do so; but IF you can't, then it's possible to make do with the limited time you're allotting. I would just let go of seeing every tourist sight and concentrate on enjoying the ones that you get to.
Paule

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:22 PM

In my opinion, the Harem is the highlight of the Topkapi Palace. Inside the harem, you will see beautiful tile, the bathroom of the sultans, furniture, the library of the sultans, and a swimming pool that would rival any pool that you would find at a Las Vegas hotel.

I never heard of your hotel eskrunchy. I stayed at the Ritz Carlton.

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:39 PM

Forgive me, PUHLEASE, Thin ( I don't know what LMAO is, though I have a feeling I may not want to know!). Yes, of course they are all tourist destinations, I'm not really a nitwit here. But it's yet another museum-like large tourist sight, and after seeing the Topaki Palace, I'd say Dolmabahce is overkill, particularly in such a short time. And Blue Mosque is a MOSQUE before it is a tourist destination; that is, it has a purpose other than being a place where JUST tourists go.

I may not have been clear, but I like to see one or two "BIG" sights and a range of other activities: market (s), walking through a neighborhood or several. While I may not experience the place as a local-- and of course, I can't, because I am a tourist-- I like to see something that is still "living" about an area. That's why I like the Spice Market so much-- these are shops that are frequented by people who live in Istanbul.
Paule

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:49 PM

So Thin and Gorgous what is up with you????? If you are the "resident expert" I thought you would know about a hotel in Cihangir..take a look at the most helpful messages that Asia Minor has posted...well researched and so welcoming....
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:46 PM

Dear Cececat,

Since your time is limited, Harem is not a "must see" place for you. It is a kind of a place which has aroused so much curiosity due to its privacy. In fact, it is a kind of school where concubines and crown princes were educated in fine arts such as poetry, music, painting, calligraphy etc and in liberal arts such as philosophy, foreign languages etc. rather than a playful area for the Sultan's sexual desires. The Harem had its strict rules and everything was administered by the mother Sultan.

As far as the beautiful Iznik tiles are concerned, the most beautiful ones are in the section where the holy relicts of Islam are kept not in the Harem.